Question

Starting up from scratch

• 24 October 2016
  • 10 replies

After getting used to the sonos set-up at work it's made me want to get it installed at home, but not wanting to spend a shed load!! Am I right in thinking all I need are the speakers I want and connecting them to my home WiFi? Or is it worth getting a bridge to keep away from home network? I was thinking for one of the larger speakers for the living dining room set in the middle and if they supply them a ceiling speaker for the kitchen and bathroom? Thanks for any help and advice? Like I said I'm not wanting to spend a lot which looks very easily done.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you can wire one of your speakers to your router then that will be the same as using a Bridge (Actually Boost now) - Ie the system will create it's own network (SonsNet). If your environment is congested with radio signals (ie lots of neighbours with Wi-Fi and other transmissions) one would expect the SonosNet (Boost mode) to be more reliable.

So perhaps start with a couple of speakers and connect via Wi-Fi - The app walks you through that - It's pretty straightforward.
Thanks Stuart, is there any difference between the bridge and boost? I'm looking to pick up unused one on eBay for cheaper and it seems the bridge is cheaper?
BOOST is a BRIDGE on steroids. It uses the later Sonos 2.0 (based on 802.11n, not g), so has greater range/resilience, and it also offers superior noise rejection.

If BRIDGE works, you'd be fine. It it doesn't, well, you get what you pay for.
Are you saying the bridge may not work using the latest sonos software?
No, not at all. All Sonos products remain supported (though the oldest dedicated controllers have lost a few features).

My point was that if the BRIDGE gives you flawless wireless performance in your situation then there's nothing to be gained from a BOOST. However if BRIDGE struggles then you'll need to consider a BOOST.
Got ya! Do sonos supply ceiling speakers? As I can't seem to see them on their website
No. You'd need to install passive speakers and drive them with a CONNECT:AMP..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Got ya! Do sonos supply ceiling speakers? As I can't seem to see them on their website

No

Play 1, Play 3, Play 5 (Gen 2), Sub and Playbar

That's your lot
Will other ceiling speakers made by other manufacturers work with the sonos setup?
Will other ceiling speakers made by other manufacturers work with the sonos setup?
So long as they meet the impedance requirements. CONNECT:AMP will support a single 4-ohm speaker per channel, or two 8-ohm speakers per channel wired in parallel.

If you want to run multiple speakers per channel and/or control each room's volume independently you'd need to look into impedance matching volume controls.