Answered

Starting Home Sound System Over Again

• 21 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all

I’ve recently moved houses / countries with a lot of high-quality legacy physical media (jazz vinyl, Criterion Blu Rays, etc) but with only a Sonos 1 - all this other audio gear was left behind in the US. 

I would like to go as wireless as possible and use Sonos components to rebuild a living room sound setup. The system should be able to hook up to a new TV but also allow me to play Blu Rays, CDs, and records as well as stream music. What is the best set of Sonos components to buy? 

My previous system was Onkyo Amplifier based with Sonos as a late “add on.” But I’d rather not deal with wires anymore, especially in a rental apt. I realize that the sound quality won’t be as good as before but I am willing to give that up for convenience. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 March 2021, 11:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Chanders 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Only the Sonos Amp can connect to both your TV and provide Line-In for vinyl or CD, but it requires that you have wired speakers, and only provides 4.1 sound at most.

I would therefore recommend you purchase a Sonos Arc, our flagship Home Theatre speaker. You’ll want two surround Sonos One SL speakers and a Sub (if preferred) to go with it, and all these are available in a bundle as a Surround Set

This will provide 5.1.2 Atmos sound (with compatible TV and content), including 2 upwards-firing speakers that reflect off your ceiling to provide 2 vertical channels.

To play CD or Vinyl, you’ll need a Sonos component with Line-In. If you are at all interested in playing Sonos sources on your existing Hi-Fi system, you’ll need Line Out too. For this I recommend a Port, as it has both. Connecting a Port to (for example) the Tape In and Tape Out will allow it to play CD/vinyl/tuner sources on Sonos speakers, and play streaming services to the Hi-Fi.

If you’re not concerned with streaming to your Hi-Fi, a Sonos Five may be a better choice - it has line-in and also serves as a self-contained speaker. The Line In on any Sonos product can be shared to any other Sonos product on the same system.

Please note that each Sonos component that has Line-In only has one - if you need multiple sources connected, you’ll need multiple components with Line In, unless you hook up a Hi-Fi - then the input selector on your Hi-Fi would determine which source goes to Sonos. Otherwise, you’ll need a second Five/Port or will have to swap the connections when switching sources.

Any turntable that connects to Sonos will need to be pre-amplified. This is sometimes built into the turntable, or your Hi-Fi would perform this function. There are 3rd-party pre-amps available should neither of these be an option for you.

I hope this helps, and happy shopping!