Speaker Size and Arrangement Advise (5's vs. 1's)

• 17 February 2023
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I’m going to put a Sonos solution into the first floor of my house.  It’s essentially open concept and I can’t determine if I should just get a pair of 5’s in the living room area, or split everything up with a bunch of 1’s and a sub (put under couch).  My set up thoughts are outlined in the following image.  Red is 5 placement, Green is the 1 placement. Location of 5’s would be in a built-in bookshelf.  

Any recommendations on which route to pursue?  Majority of listening will happen in kitchen and living room. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d mix the proposed set up. Use a One in the kitchen an seating area and two Fives where you planned the. Use these for a while and see if you really need a Sub - Fives are quite big and you might not need it.

You only want the system for music? You do not mention wanting a soundbar for watching TV.

No, there is no TV, this is strictly for music.

I would only get the sub if I went with the 1’s, no 5’s. 

option 1 is pair of 5’s only (red circles)

option 2 is 1’s (green circles)

maybe the 5’s and one one in kitchen is the way to go though.

any other thoughts from others? Much appreciated 

Are you a sit and listen to the music type or is the music mostly a background activity?

Also, what’s the overall width of this space?  I’m guess it’s 4-5m (12-15 ft) but it larger than that could make a difference.

Also, if budget is a concern, I would consider using Roams instead of Ones in some places.  Yes, they are designed to be portable, but you absolutely can leave them plugged in and use them as permanent speakers.  I would take a pair of Roams in the kitchen over a single One.

Also, I would go with the sub mini over sub in a musical only space.  You won’t be able to place it under the couch, and it doesn’t get as loud, but it’s sealed and better for music playback, and a good match for a pair of Ones, IMO.

Without knowing the actual size of the space, I would probably go…

Kitchen - 2 Roams

Living Room -  2 Ones + Sub Mini

Front Room - 1 Roam.

That puts you at around $1410 USD, cheaper than your plan of Ones by around $200.  You could even opt for 2 Roams in the front, or a single Ray (for stereo audio)  and still be under the budget.

This is all very helpful. The overall length of the floor is around 50-55’ and width is 15’ 

I never thought of the roam optoin.  i don’t think I have space for two roams in the kitchen.  

Sounds like no one thinks the 5’s is a good solution.  

As for listening.  It will be a combo of stand/sit.  For the living room/dining it will be majority sit.  

Are you a sit and listen to the music type or is the music mostly a background activity?

It will be both.  I will sit and listen, but often it will be background (friends over, kids mucking about, etc)

This is all very helpful. The overall length of the floor is around 50-55’ and width is 15’ 

I didn’t say that. FIVE’s are a great sit and listen.

I will lobby for two speakers in the kitchen and front rooms.

I didn’t say that. FIVE’s are a great sit and listen.

I will lobby for two speakers in the kitchen and front rooms.

Sorry, wasn’t putting words in your mouth.  It just seemed like all the reco’s were to just go with Roam’s and One’s.  I’m totally good with this.  It seems like a good casual listening route and gives options with the Roam’s to move things around as needed and experiment a bit more.  Worst case, I sell the One’s and upgrade to 5’s down the road.  

Appreciate the feedback.