Sonos with wired speakers or not

Userlevel 2
Yep - I'm a newbie here 🙂 and after seeing a showcase (friend of mine) I'm quite impressed about the sound and the simplicity of Sonos system.

Problem is a year ago I bought myselve some Bose speakers (6 double) secondhanded from another friend and my goal was - when I had some free time - to hang these speakers in all corners to have some better surround sound.

Now after comparing the 2 systems (Bose/Sonos) I prefer to take the Sonos system but here my simple question: Should I use these Bose speakers additionally with sonos speakers or not?

If I replace these speakers with the sonos ones (1play or 3play) then I have problems with the powercords in each corner... so thats is why I prefer to use these boxes (who doesn't need power cords).

If the answer is "Yes, use them" then my next question is: what do I need to connect these speakers to sonos? (I only have a Yamaha - RX v667 receiver, decoder/TV)

Tx in advance!
Raey

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Welcome to the forums.

There are several ways to use third party speakers with a Sonos system:
- passive speakers can be wired to a CONNECT:AMP
- passive speakers can be driven by a power amplifier or receiver wired to a CONNECT
- active speakers can be wired to a CONNECT

Obviously a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP can be part of a multi-room Sonos system, where you'd be able to play music in each room independently or group rooms together to play in sync.

Without knowing what Bose speakers you have one can't say what your options could be. If your Bose units are network-based smart streamers they wouldn't be able to interact with Sonos components.
Userlevel 1
If you're happy using the Yamaha to drive the Bose speakers then you'd just need to add a Sonos Connect to the Yamaha.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
As you have a quite good receiver, which handles AV in/output, your solution is easy: you can get ONE Sonos Connect and add it as input. Done. All six speakers on the Yamaha are usable with Sonos.

You cannot use Play1s or Play3s with your receiver as you do with the Boses, if that is what you are thinking about, as Sonos devices are not really "normal" wireless speaker. They only accept input from within the Sonos system.
Userlevel 2
Tx for all replies!

There are several ways to use third party speakers with a Sonos system:
- passive speakers can be wired to a CONNECT:AMP
- passive speakers can be driven by a power amplifier or receiver wired to a CONNECT
- active speakers can be wired to a CONNECT

Right now those bose speakers are just linked to my receiver (I don't have a BOSE system yet - I know thats not the way 🙂 ) so what's the best option then:
Use CONNECT and link these speakers to reciever + add the bar/play1-3-5 afterwards as Thunderbyte says?

Hope sound will be good afterwards (no delays).

Or maybe better to get rid of the receiver and just use those speakers as passive speakers? In other words: is it better to use my receiver or just start with a blank sheet and use the CONNECT AMP only? What should you do...
Userlevel 1
Right now those bose speakers are just linked to my receiver (I don't have a BOSE system yet - I know thats not the way 🙂 ) so what's the best option then:
Use CONNECT and link these speakers to reciever + add the bar/play1-3-5 afterwards as Thunderbyte says?

Not sure that's what Thunderbyte said. What would you need a Playbar for if you've got an av receiver?

Or maybe better to get rid of the receiver and just use those speakers as passive speakers?

Passive speakers with what? If you get rid of the receiver what's going to power the Bose speakers? You can't use them by themselves with Sonos play devices, you can only use passive speakers with a Connect:Amp and with six speakers you'll need at least two, if not three of those, and they're a lot more expensive than a single Connect is.

The quickest and cheapest way to get the Bose speakers working with Sonos is simply to buy a Connect and plug that into the receiver.
raey,

Which BOSE speakers are you using? Many of the BOSE speakers were designed to be used exclusively as part of a BOSE system. These speakers assume that the amplifiers include complimentary equalization.
Userlevel 2
I got the bass and the 4 (double) cube speakers from bose - I can only include an image when I have 3 posts (..) - so check next msg.

That's what I'm indeed a bit afraid of... that it will not 'match' is some way.

In short: Money is not an issue here, just want the best sound everywhere and don't want to struggle with powercords in every top corner. What I had in mind was use the bose speakers in the great area in combination with playbar and 2 play3's and then in other rooms play 1-3. Important note: I still need to hang these Bose cubes.. so need to know if I need to hang them or sell them back again..

@LHC: tx for clearing that up!

... so what to do 🙂
Userlevel 2
this is the set I bought back in the days but then 4 double cubes
http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/content/bose/2010-lifestyle-homewide-328170.jpg
raey,

I don't recognize that specific model by its photo, but I think that your BOSE unit is designed as a surround system that expects a direct Dolby Digital or DTS stream input, rather than four or five discrete inputs. As such the BOSE unit will not integrate with a SONOS system unless the BOSE system offers an AUX input. Then, as suggested by the_lhc you can add a SONOS CONNECT.

If you are in wire pulling mode in any case, I'll note that it is possible to mount PLAY:1's such that they completely cover their power outlet. (If one is clever enough)
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That is not what I meant, indeed.

These are the three main options:
1. Use the receiver with the Bose speakers, connect a CONNECT to the receiver, have the Yamaha/Bose system as one "room" in a multiroom Sonos setup. Avantage: the Yamaha will handle DTS and other audio formats fine and can do HDMI switching for your video sources. Disadvantage: your Yamaha needs to be switched on an to the right input to produce some sound from Sonos - not the "always on" philosophy of the Sonos speakers.

2. Get rid of the Yamaha and the Bose (but why should you!? The Yamaha is a good receiver!). Use only Sonos stuff. Advantage: "always on" works, you have a Sonos 5.1 system after the addition of Playbar and Sub. Disadvantage: no DTS support, no video switching, no multiple inputs without the addition of a SPDIF switch.

Number 1 is in my opinion the easiest and cheapest way to include the Yamaha/Bose setup into a Sonos multiroom system.

If you don't like the sound of your Yamaha/Bose combination, buzz's point most certainly will be the reason. In this case another set of passive 5.1 speakers (from e.g. Canton, Kenwood, etc.) would certainly improve the situation.

EDIT: I myself have my Playbar, the Sub together with a Stereo pair of Play5 in my living room IN ADDITION TO a Onkyo 5.1 receiver with Canton 5.1 speakers, because I want the Sonos stuff for nice music and the Onkyo setup for video. (Yeah, I am kind of crazy, I know).
Userlevel 2
All clear!

Tx guys!
I have a lifestyle 48. Great system but old. Speakers all wired into the wall.
I would now like to update a
With a sonos system surround in lounge and multi room for music and other TVs etc
What sonos system do I need. And can I use my Bose speakers in the lounge