Sonos Speakers vs Apple Homepod mini

• 25 January 2022
  • 13 replies

Hi My friend is considering to buy Sonos speakers for her home - 4-5 speakers in different rooms of her home.  She has never owned wireless speakers.  She is an Apple user with iphone 13, Macbook, ipad and iwatch - the whole family with Apple music streaming.  There are several other streaming serivces like Siriux XM but she does not have Spotify or Youtube Premiumu

Questions:

1. Overall, how does the quality of the Apple Homepod mini sound compare with Sonos speakers?
  2. How good is the Siri integration with the Sonos speakers given we use Apple music streaming?   (Hey Siri….)
  3. Can the Sonos speakers allow you to enable them in 1 room at a time vs all rooms.  Can another family member use a different speaker for their use at the same time?
  4. Which Sonos speakers would you recommend for someone who wants to set them up for different rooms in a home?

Any other suggestions or considerations before making a purchase would  be appreciated.

13 replies

1. Far superior.  The Sonos One is compared favorably with the original HomePod, never mind the Mini.
  2. Not as good as Alexa or Google.  You can't use Siri through the built-in assistant, you have to use an iDevice.
  3. Yes.  You can even add multiple music service accounts and each person can use their own.
  4. Ones as stand alone or in stereo pairs are a good start.  I'd get Ones, not One SL in case Sonos adds built-in Siri.

Thanks.  The poor integration with Siri is that a show stopper for Apple music streamers?   Is Sonos primarily for non-Apple users?

Thanks.  The poor integration with Siri is that a show stopper for Apple music streamers?   Is Sonos primarily for non-Apple users?

No.  You can still use Apple Music, either via the Sonos app, via the Apple Music app through Airplay, or through Siri on your iPhone or iPad.  Apple users actually have more functionality than Android, because Apple has Trueplay tuning and Airplay casting, which Andoid doesn't have.

How does Sonos compare to what the Apple Homepods mini can do on this site? 

https://www.apple.com/ca/homepod-mini/?afid=p238%7Csh0P3Kz1x-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_509271594648_pgrid_116414230555_&cid=aos-ca-kwGO-btb-aes--slid---product-

Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I would disagree with sound quality of the Sonos One being far superior to the HomePod mini, if the minis are stereo paired. At this point you have roughly the same price point as a Sonos One. The minis stereo paired (in my opinion) only lack a little bit in the lows/bass compared to a single Sonos One.  I used to own 5 Sonos Ones around my house and switched to the minis because I am all in on Apple/Siri. My smart home is much better with Siri over Alexa.   

I used to own 5 Sonos Ones around my house and switched to the minis because I am all in on Apple/Siri. My smart home is much better with Siri over Alexa.   

I believe it all depends on what smart ecosystem one prefers and has chosen - or, the other way around at times! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does Sonos offer “home trial” where your friend lives? Buy some; try them in the home environment. If you like them: buy more! If not: return them for refund. Then she can let her ears decide how good they are. 

Like to acknowledge at the end of the day it’s down to individual preferences.

My take on the issue is Sonos one is far superior to that of the HomePod Mini. I was in a peculiar position where I had a mixture of Sonos one’s and the original HomePods and HomePod Mini. In terms of quality of Music sound, a single Sonos one outperforms Two Mini HomePods. To me there is no comparison.

The last month after lots of problem with the HomePods, I made the decision to dump them and go with Sonos and I feel it’s the right decision for me and deeply regret being taken in on the hype and not following one’s instinct.

Two Sonos one’s in stereo are just so good.

But I said above it’s a individual call.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

So my take. I had a couple of homepods and am a huge Sonos proponent. If you are looking for it to do all those Apple things then maybe, for me I never used them. I use my speakers solely for listening to music. I can use Alexa to play things with Apple Music. 

1. Far superior.  The Sonos One is compared favorably with the original HomePod, never mind the Mini.
  2. Not as good as Alexa or Google.  You can't use Siri through the built-in assistant, you have to use an iDevice.
  3. Yes.  You can even add multiple music service accounts and each person can use their own.
  4. Ones as stand alone or in stereo pairs are a good start.  I'd get Ones, not One SL in case Sonos adds built-in Siri.

No it’s not.  The OG HomePod blows away the One and I preferred them over the 5 too.

No it’s not.  The OG HomePod blows away the One and I preferred them over the 5 too.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. 

Hej,

Har skrivit en artikel om Apples HomePod läs gärna den! https://www.tasktech.se/recension-apple-homepod skrivit lite om homepod vs sonos.

Google Translate:

Hello,

Have written an article about Apple's HomePod, please read it! https://www.tasktech.se/recension-apple-homepod wrote a little about homepod vs sonos.

Moderator Note: Added translation

Does Sonos offer "home preliminary" where your companion resides? Get some; attempt them in the home climate. Assuming you like them: purchase more! In the event that not: return them for discount. Then she can allow her ears to conclude how great they are.