Answered

Sonos Setup

• 21 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Good afternoon,

I want to make sure i set up the sonos properly. Help would be appreciated.

I want to set up 6 in ceiling speakers to be used for music (2 of which will be in the living room in the rear)

My questions are as follows:

1. Will I need more than one amp?
  2. Can i use optimal cable to connect these to amp or is RCA preferable? If so, which brand is best;
  3. I want to use the 2 in the living room for surround in the future- is it possible to do this? I want to be able to use it for surround when i want and for music with paired with the other speakers when i want to. How can i do this?

Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 21 February 2022, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Welcome to the community!

Yes you can drive 6 in-ceiling speakers with a single Sonos Amp. However they must be Sonos Architectual Speakers by Sonance.

All speakers no matter there location will be part of the same zone/room in the Sonos app. That said you cannot play (for example) smooth jazz to two speakers and country to the other four. All speakers will play the same music.

You cannot designate speakers for surround use with only one Sonos Amp. You need a second amp dedicated to drive the two speakers you want to use as surrounds.

Not sure what you mean by “Optimal” cable; but Sonos recommends 12 to 16 gauge speaker wire. Click here for more info.

Let us know if you need more information about anything Sonos!