Question

Sonos Port vs Sonos Connect (for turntable)

Badge +1

I have a few Sonos Connect devices around the house and enjoy them very much.  I also have a Sonos Amp and several Play 1’s,  One’s and Sub. 

Having recently been bitten by the Vinyl bug and cautiously entering this world with the acquisition of a Fluance turnable + external preamp (has not arrived at), I was wondering if the Sonos Port offers better performance when compared to the Sonos Connect. I could connect it to my Sonos Amp, but would prefer to connect it to another Sonos Connect setup I have in the house. I would then stream form that setup to other Sonos devices in my houshold. 

I have no need for Apple AirPlay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

No, a line in on the newer Port is the same as the line in on the device it replaced, the CONNECT. 

Badge +1

No, a line in on the newer Port is the same as the line in on the device it replaced, the CONNECT. 

Thank you. If there is no discernible difference in audio quality then I will not spend the $$$ on a new Port. Maybe new speakers instead :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would buy the Port:

#1 - the Port is Airplay compatible and much more future proof

#2 - its not a lot more then a new Connect

#3 - I wouldn’t buy a used connect as it would most likely not be S2 compatible (no way of knowing ahead of time)

Search this community for a couple of threads that suggest that older Connects may sound better than Port in some cases, before going for a new Port. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So you mind sharing where anyone would say there is difference that should factor in his decision?

Badge +1

I would buy the Port:

#1 - the Port is Airplay compatible and much more future proof

#2 - its not a lot more then a new Connect

#3 - I wouldn’t buy a used connect as it would most likely not be S2 compatible (no way of knowing ahead of time)

As already stated, I am not interested in airplay. Also, I already have a Sonos connect and it is compatible with S2

Search this community for a couple of threads that suggest that older Connects may sound better than Port in some cases, before going for a new Port. 

The OP stated he will use the Port to stream to other Sonos devices.  The Line-In ADC and subsequent streaming to other devices bypasses the volume setting on the Port, so the not-yet-proven-to-actually-be-audible changes to the Port’s digital output when set to Variable volume mean nothing to the OP.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

The OP stated he will use the Port to stream to other Sonos devices.  The Line-In ADC and subsequent streaming to other devices bypasses the volume setting on the Port, so the not-yet-proven-to-actually-be-audible changes to the Port’s digital output when set to Variable volume mean nothing to the OP.  

I thought a Sonos spokesman stated (as quoted in a recent article) that there was a difference when using fixed vs variable on the port.  Based on some limiting factor when using variable volume.  But using fixed, it is bit to bit -- no issues.  Variable there is some control that kicks in above a certain volume level.  

I thought a Sonos spokesman stated (as quoted in a recent article) that there was a difference when using fixed vs variable on the port.  Based on some limiting factor when using variable volume.  But using fixed, it is bit to bit -- no issues.  Variable there is some control that kicks in above a certain volume level.  

Not a Sonos spokesman, a Sonos user (granted one with years of experience).  However, @ratty tested the actual output, not the audio heard.  All of the differences heard between the Connect and Port in variable volume mode could very well be slight volume differences.  As little as 1 dB difference, which won’t even be consciously recognized, have been shown to throw off a DBT.  So without a level-matched DBT, the jury is still out on whether the difference is actually audible. 

The article in question said:

The difference between the new Port’s audio quality and that of the older Connect, a Sonos spokesperson tells me, is related to the manner in which the DSP (digital signal processor) in each unit handles their analog and bitstream outputs. The DSP, according to this source, is designed to adjust for “the different characteristics [of] different recorded content… that impact volume output. The DSP helps to keep it balanced so that it protects the listener’s equipment and ears.”

It would appear that the processing (dynamic range limiting) is more aggressive in the Port, when using digital output in Variable volume mode.

The DSP isn’t involved when using digital out with Fixed volume.

It’s assumed, though not confirmed, that the dynamic range limiting is also not used on the analog outs, as there’s no danger of hard clipping.

Thanks @ratty.  Either I missed that, or read it and forgot.