Sonos Port + BeoPlay speakers or go with Symfonisk or One?

• 23 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi all, 

I’m relatively new to the Sonos-world, but quite hooked on sound and convenience already. I’m now wondering how to expand my system in my kitchen. I have an old set of BeoPlay S3s that have served me well, and that actually perform quite ok. They have dual class D-amps (one per speaker unit) and I believe that they play louder than e.g. Symfonisk or Sonos One. 

I now wonder whether I should re-use the S3s and get a Sonos Port to connect them to my system - or if I should just replace them with Symfonisk or Sonos One? I did a test against Symfonisk (playing via BT on the S3s), and TBH, the sound seemed more spacious and dynamic on the S3s. Now, the Ones would perform better again, I’m sure - and that would be a more fair comparison. 

So - are there any Port-users in here who have experience with a setup like this? Would sound quality (via phono-to-mini jack) and connectivity be as good as with native Sonos speakers?

Thanks in advance, 
/Bo

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The the BeoPlay speakers have separate Line Inputs?  Also is there a volume control of the speakers?

I doubt this set up will work.  The port is designed to work with a separate amp and speakers so in itself it does not have volume control.  The amp is an option but that works with passive speakers so would not be suitable for your needs.

I have the Symfonisk Gen 1 speakers and they are great for surround speaker use but not as Good as the Ones or One SLs to my ears.  The Sonos WiFi set up will always be better than bluetooth for the same speaker too.

May suggestion is get two One’s try them on the 100 day Sonos trial, and see what you think.  Also don’t forget to Trueplay tune them too.

Badge +1

Thanks for your answer and hmmm, yes - you’re right about the volume control. I was imagiking that I could control the volume via the app, but don’t know if you can control the Port via the app - same as a Sonos speaker?

Badge +1

The S3s have an input-jack, though, so connecting would be possible via an rca-to-jack cable to each channel (but would it be stereo?)

Actually, the Port can be set to FIxed or Variable volume.  Set to variable, the Port’s volume can be adjusted in the Sonos app just like any other device.

As to the output being stereo, you would connect a single RCA from the left out on the port to the left speaker’s 3.5 mm input, and a single RCA from the right out on the port to the right speaker’s 3.5 mm input. 

Badge +1

Thank you! Might very well give it a try if I can get hold of a Port (short of supply, apparently).

You can even experiment with an Echo Dot - even a old one - wired to the speaker inputs via its audio out stereo socket. As a standalone set up it will deliver sound quality as good as what the speakers can deliver, via streaming services. What you will not get is the ability to play the same music in sync with other Sonos speakers in the home - that will require a Port. 

Note that with services like Amazon Music or Spotify, you do not even need to use voice commands and can even leave the Dot mic off. Music can be played via selection of the Dot as a target speaker in the Amazon/Spotify apps.