Answered

Sonos Move - Bluetooth and wifi?

Hi, 

I’m thinking of buying a Sonos Move to pair with my bluetooth turntable. 

Question is - If the turntable and Move speaker are connected via bluetooth, can I then beam the sound from the turntable (bluetooth connection) across the rest of my Sonos set up at the same time using the Wi-fi network?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by John B 9 June 2022, 09:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

No I am afraid not.  This is possible with the Roam but not the Move.  It may be added to the Move at some point, although there is no way of any of us knowing for sure if that is technically possible or not.  It feels like it ought to be a software issue rather than hardware, but we don’t know.

Maybe the Roam would do?  Or a pair of Roams?  Or a One for sound and a Roam for Bluetooth?

Another possibility is a Five and a Bluetooth receiver.

Hi John B - Thanks for your reply on this.

That’s great but does seem odd the smaller Roam will do it, but not the Move. 

Have looked at hard wiring turntable into a Five but really wanted the ease of portability for the weekends and when outside. I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Have looked at hard wiring turntable into a Five but really wanted the ease of portability for the weekends and when outside. I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. 

I agree.  The Move could just be a larger Roam and have all the same features without any downside.  Like the above I am guessing it is a hardware limitation?  Shame though.

So this will be my setup 

———

Roam connected via bluetooth to turntable. 

Existing Sonos speakers (across the house) connected into the Roam via Wi-Fi.

Music from turntable via bluetooth should then play across any speaker in the house at the same time. 

I.E Roam [Bluetooth to turntable] + Speaker 1 [Wifi] in bedroom. 🤔

That should be fine.  As you are probably aware, there is a Roam SL if you were sure you didn’t want voice control. 

I just spoke to Sonos support - apparently non of their bluetooth speakers will connect to a bluetooth device apart from a phone/ tablet that has the Sonos app on. This can’t be right… can it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Sonos app does NOT have to be on the device. The Roam does need to be set up first using the phone/ tablet and the app. But after that it can be used as any other Bluetooth speaker. 
I’ve connected mine to IPhone, iPad Android tablets and phones and my laptop. 

I just spoke to Sonos support - apparently non of their bluetooth speakers will connect to a bluetooth device apart from a phone/ tablet that has the Sonos app on. This can’t be right… can it?

@bockersjv is correct on all counts.  That was either a misunderstanding or incorrect information from Sonos Support.

I agree.  The Move could just be a larger Roam and have all the same features without any downside.  Like the above I am guessing it is a hardware limitation?  Shame though.

I agree too @bockersjv  - on the face if it it does appear possible, particularly as both the ‘Move’ & ‘Roam’ show at Sonos.com has each having a Bluetooth v5.0 adapter, but there maybe some other hardware limitation that the much older ‘Move’ has, compared to the newer ‘Roam’. If there isn’t a limitation however, it would be nice if Sonos could implement this feature for their customers. Although admittedly, if I am in range of a WiFi signal, I tend to very rarely use a Bluetooth connection, as often there are other ways to stream the audio, such as via Airplay instead for example.