Answered

Sonos in ceiling speakers

• 18 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, 

We are renovating our new house. We’re looking to install Sonos in ceiling speakers in 3 rooms. We would need 4 speakers in Kitchen/lounge also one in main bathroom and 1 in the main bedroom.

I know i need an amp but unsure if i need 1 or 2. Could you advise me on what i need to do this please? 

Some questions:

• Do i need a wire from my wifi to the amp/amps?
  • Do the amps have to be near or can i put them in the office or a cupboard?
  • Can i plug 4 speakers into the 1 amp?
  • Can i switch off one speaker/room and use the others or do i have to use them all together?
  • I am planning on getting a sound bar for 2 tvs also, what wires do i need for this?
  • And where from and too? 
  • Do i need 1 or 2 Amps for 6 speakers and 2 sound bars
  • What speaker wire is best to use?
  • am i best buying the speakers etc from the Sonos website?

Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea, my electrician is trying to convince me to buy £50 bluetooth speakers rather than Sonos, so he isn't helpful.

I’d really appreciate some help and advice, the house is being plastered next week so i have to get the wires in before then.

Thank you in advance

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 February 2021, 01:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Kitchen/Lounge
Four ceiling speakers powered by one Sonos Amp

Main Bathroom
One stereo ceiling speaker powered by one Sonos Amp (if your bathroom is large enough, you could get two speakers instead to have a stereo pair)

Main Bedroom
Recommend two ceiling speakers powered by one Sonos Amp

Do i need a wire from my wifi to the amp/amps?
No, but if you have Wi-Fi connection issues, wiring can help.

Do the amps have to be near or can i put them in the office or a cupboard?
The Amps do not have to be near the speakers.

Can i plug 4 speakers into the 1 amp?
Yes, you can connect four speakers to a single Amp. If you use the Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers, you can connect up to six speakers.

Can i switch off one speaker/room and use the others or do i have to use them all together?
Each Amp creates one “zone” or “room”. You can play the same music from all rooms together, play music from one room, or play different music in different rooms at the same time.

I am planning on getting a sound bar for 2 tvs also, what wires do i need for this?
If you get a Sonos sound bar like a Sonos Arc or Sonos Beam, you only need an HDMI cable to connect the sound bar directly to the TV.

And where from and too? 
See answer above.

Do i need 1 or 2 Amps for 6 speakers and 2 sound bars?
You should only need three Amps for your ceiling speakers. The two sound bars will work on their own.

What speaker wire is best to use?
Sonos recommends using wire that is 16ga or larger and rated to be buried inside of walls and ceilings.

Am i best buying the speakers etc from the Sonos website?
You should purchase your Sonos speakers from Sonos or from any authorized Sonos dealer.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help, I’d have saved myself days of stress had I came on here first! Thank you 😊 

Note that Sonos does not make in ceiling speakers, but they are a reseller of speakers made by Sonance, which is an unaffiliated company, which GuitarSuperstar alluded to with his link. 

We have this set-up with Connect:Amps cabled to Sonance speakers throughout the house. If I added an Arc to the LG TV in the living room,could I use the four ceiling speakers as surround sound?

We have this set-up with Connect:Amps cabled to Sonance speakers throughout the house. If I added an Arc to the LG TV in the living room,could I use the four ceiling speakers as surround sound?

Yes and no. First, the Arc is an S2 only device, while your Connect:Amp(s) may not be S2 compatible.  Second, to use a Connect:amp to power rear surround speakers, You need a wired ethernet connection between the Connect:amp and the Arc.  That can be directly between the two devices, or connected to a common router or switch.  Third, the surround speakers should be behind and to the left and right of your main seating area, and since you said you had 4 speakers, it does not sound like your speakers are in the correct location.  So it’s possible, but not likely this would be a good configuration for you.