Answered

Sonos Connect etc.

• 28 April 2022
  • 7 replies

I currently have no Sonos products and know very little about them. I am looking for a very economical way to add streaming from Deezer to my traditional Hifi. I think the Sonos Connect can do this but would I need any other equipment? I mention the Connect as they seem to be around £50 used and this seems about as cheap as I can find.

icon

Best answer by tracker 28 April 2022, 10:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

You would also need a smart-phone or -pad, to run the Sonos app to control the Sonos Connect.  But it would be cheapest to buy only the 3.5mm->RCA(cinch) stereo cord and just plug the -phone or -pad straight into the HiFi, and run the Deezer app on it!  Less fun, plus who wants to be tethered, and taking phone calls while playing is a bear -- but it’s cheep-cheep.  (Or, if you already have an Apple brand -phone or -pad, then a used Apple Airport Express and AirPlay-ing to that, might be cheaper than the used Connect too. But £50 is a pretty good price, and the Connect and the Sonos app will be more versatile.)  If cost is an extreme issue, bear in mind that Sonos will only work if you subscribe to Deezer Premium+ or Deezer HiFi.

I already have a Deezer sub. If I only need the connect with no other equipment, that sounds just the ticket! Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

[Sorry, also forgot the other caveat: If it’s a Connect Gen.1 -- which it probably is at that price -- you can only run it under the Sonos S1 app.  This is no big deal, but test that S1 works on your -phone or -pad if you have upgraded that to whatever latest operating system.]  [[And the other, other caveat which normally doesn’t need mention but you said “with no other equipment”: You need a home router with an Internet connection.  (Some folks who are practising cheap/minimal only run Deezer over their phones with an unlimited-data cellular connection.)]]

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You should bear in mind that generation 1 Connects are at least 6 years old.  There are reports of reliabity issues with the Connect.

Check out the Arylic S10 network streamer for 64 gbp at Amazon

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Check out the Arylic S10 network streamer for 64 gbp at Amazon

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

TFT…. Bookmarked for future reference :-)

Thanks all. I ended up getting the Sonos Connect S1 for less than £19. Set up was a bit of a faff but it all came together when I restarted the process plugged into my router (not via Wi-Fi). It then allowed connection via Wi-Fi and control using Sonos S1 on my iPhone works well.

I don’t know if Echo does Deezer as it does Amazon Music, Apple Music and Spotify; but even a brand new Dot is probably the best and cheapest solution for this use case if those three services are adequate. Certainly the sound quality from the hi fi system would be just as good as that from even the latest Connect, the Port. And if allergic to Alexa, Dot will serve even with the mic turned off where Amazon Music and Spotify are concerned.