Answered

Sonos - Ceiling Mount

• 17 May 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on ceiling mount installations of Play:1 or Play:3 speakers that do not involve the Flexson products? The Flexson ceiling mount would be perfect but they are ludicrously expensive and I have not found many alternative products available. I have a screened in porch that I want to place a speaker on that is entirely sheltered for about 4 months of the year with a vaulted wood ceiling and available power supply but can't find many more cost effective options for ceiling mount.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 May 2018, 00:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

That may be why the Flexson's are so expensive....it's a hard thing to do. And with little to no competition, they can charge what they want.

I've purchased quite a few of their products, just never the ceiling mounts. While I agree that they're expensive, at the end of the day I found the quality and value to be equal to the cost. Something I've not been able to say about the various Sanus stands I've purchased.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 1 and 3 both have a threaded mounting hole in the rear of the case so you might be able to make a mount yourself that uses the existing hole to secure the speaker to the mount. If you look at the work involved the Flexson mounts seem much less expensive.

Maybe if you know someone with a 3D printer you could make a similar mount with less effort?
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
I've purchased quite a few of their products, just never the ceiling mounts. While I agree that they're expensive, at the end of the day I found the quality and value to be equal to the cost. Something I've not been able to say about the various Sanus stands I've purchased.

I agree.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Maybe if you know someone with a 3D printer you could make a similar mount with less effort?

Considering the weight of the speakers, I would want the brackets to be made of metal.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I’d imagine as Stanley_4 suggests you could make a DIY bracket out of pieces of Mechano type fixings and bolts if the aesthetics of something like Flexson brackets is not a requirement. Or just use a mesh ‘basket’ and use a few screw hooks into the timber. Flexson gear is highly engineered and comes at a price accordingly. I’ve not come acreoss better purpose made sonos stands or brackets though. But they are maybe overkill if the speakers are above the line of sight as in a porch.
Userlevel 7
Hi donald kerabatsos

Try this DiY solution using materials from Home Depot (or your local home improvement center) and Sanus wall mounts: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sanus-wall-mount-pair-play1-play3-one.html

Total approximate cost before tax: $95.00

Cheers!