Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Beam Gen 2 to replace Playbase

• 3 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Good afternoon all. I have always been impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the Sonos community, so I thought I would seek its opinion:

I currently have a set-up for our living room of a Playbase (optical connection to LG OLED TV), sub and two Play:5s as rears for both watching TV and listening to music. I had previously briefly set up the Play:5s as a stereo pair for when listening to music, and the Playbase + Sub for TV, but seemed to prefer having everything surround.

I am now considering a Sonos Beam Gen 2 as an upgrade/replacement of the Playbase (it is still working but I know the wifi card can become an issue). What tempts me most is that the Beam can use the EArc connection of the LG for Dolby Atmos. 

Questions are therefore:

Can I expect to notice a difference/improvement in sound field when switching out the Playbase for the Beam Gen 2 with Dolby Atmos using the current surround set up?

Should I consider uncoupling the Play:5s for stereo music listening, and have the Beam with Dolby Atmos and Sub for films (with the Beam creating the virtual surround)?

Should I stick with the Playbase and save myself the money? Net cost of the Beam 2nd Gen, purchased at €379 and if I can sell Playbase for €179 would be €200.

Thanks for any thoughts an opinions. BTW, living room space is kind of l-shaped, with the TV area and sofa in the foot of the L (about 2.5 metres apart) and the Play:5 further 5 m behind in a lounge space where we sometimes just listen to music. 

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

Thanks for your post! And, apologies for the delay.

Full disclosure - when it comes to comparisons, I prefer to leave them to the users who have actually heard - if not actually compared - both products, which I have not.

Questions are therefore:

Can I expect to notice a difference/improvement in sound field when switching out the Playbase for the Beam Gen 2 with Dolby Atmos using the current surround set up?

Yes - I think you will notice an improvement in the sound-field. Although the Beam (Gen 2) is a smaller physical unit than the Playbase, the bass will be largely handled by the Sub anyway, and the Atmos virtualisation will make things sound bigger and more immersive.

You can of course buy it and test it - if you are not happy for any reason, you can get a full refund within 30 days. We will cover all shipping costs (assuming you buy direct, of course).

Should I consider uncoupling the Play:5s for stereo music listening, and have the Beam with Dolby Atmos and Sub for films (with the Beam creating the virtual surround)?

If you’re considering a purchase in order to improve surround sound, I would not then recommend that you remove the surrounds, no. Virtualisation can only do so much, and it doesn’t do quite as well as having actual physical speakers.

Should I stick with the Playbase and save myself the money? Net cost of the Beam 2nd Gen, purchased at €379 and if I can sell Playbase for €179 would be €200.

No one can tell you the answer to this, except perhaps your significant other. I refer you to my first answer, however - buy and try, then decide.

If you do decide to upgrade, please remember to remove the surrounds and Sub from the Playbase’s room before setting up the Beam - you’ll then be offered to add them to the Beam during Beam setup, making it all a bit easier.

A later upgrade that you might want to consider is a pair of Era 300s as rears - with speakers pointing upwards to bounce of the ceiling and provide you with height channels, they would be an upgrade over the Play:5s for Atmos audio. From our product range, only an Arc + Era 300s would be better. You could place your Play:5s at the front as a separate Sonos room for music playback, or put them in (an)other room(s).

I hope this helps.

Badge +1

Thanks - very useful.