Answered

Sonos Arc (Dolby Atmos) individual channels?

• 3 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I currently own a Sony soundbar. Each time I’m watching a film, I have to constantly turn the volume up (when characters are speaking) and down (when the action starts).

Years ago, I had a 5.1 system, which allowed me adjust each separate channel, so I raised the one with the dialogue (the centre channel) and that solved the issue. 

So, my question is this: Does the Sonos Arc allow you to increase the volume of specific channels so I can increase dialogue? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 February 2021, 23:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

No, you cannot increase the volume of the individual channels on the Sonos Arc. But it does have a “Speech Enhancement” feature that will boost the audio frequencies associated with the human voice and a “Night Sound” feature that will lower the dynamic range of the audio. They both work pretty well.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Interesting. Thanks! 

While I have you, how do you rate the Dolby Atmos on the Sonos Arc? I’m looking for a system that will provide an immersive sound (rain drops above my head, that sort of thing) not a deafening rumble. 

Userlevel 7

Because the Sonos Arc uses two upward firing speakers to produce the height channels, the height effect is pretty subtle. And if you have high ceilings or a vaulted ceiling, the height effect will be even less pronounced.

But I am very pleased with the overall immersive sound I get from my Arc, especially when listening to lossless Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos from a Blu-ray or UHD disc. Of course it helps that I have the full Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup.

How tall are your ceilings? How far are you sitting from where the Arc would be placed?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

If I was getting it, I’d be getting the full setup. My ceiling is about 9-foot high. The TV unit is about 6 foot away from the couch. 

For some time, I have been caught between a Sonos Arc and a traditional, separate-speaker setup. 

A few months ago, I did a demo at a surround sound store, who let me hear the Sonos Arc and a Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 system (with Dolby Atmos). I think I preferred the Monitor, but it doesn’t look as good, it requires an annoying setup (lots of cables) and it is messier (more speakers). 

On a few forums, people have told me that the Sonos Arc isn’t “true Dolby Atmos”. Would you agree?

Userlevel 7

Your 9-foot ceilings and 6-foot distance from your couch is actually a pretty ideal spot for you to get the most height effect from the Arc. How far do you think the Arc will be placed from the ceiling?

A Sonos Arc will give you true Dolby Atmos audio, but many home theater snobs don’t believe upward firing speakers is considered “true Dolby Atmos”. To them, an upward firing speaker will never be as convincing as an actual in-ceiling speaker.

FYI… there is a lossless form of Dolby Atmos via Dolby TrueHD that you get from Blu-rays and a lossy form of Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby MAT that you get from streaming. But both the lossless and lossy form of Dolby Atmos can be played through the Arc with the right equipment and correct settings. What TV model do you own?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The Arc would be about 6-7 foot away from the ceiling. 

I’m afraid you’ve lose me with “lossless” and “lossy”. I don’t know much about this sort of stuff! I’m guessing lossless means that it doesn’t lose any of its quality? 

I own a 4K, 55-inch Sony Bravia, but I’ll be upgrading at some point in the next few years. OLED or QLED, probably.  

Userlevel 7

6-7 feet away from the ceiling will be a good spot. Try to keep it closer to 6 feet if you can. The closer the better.

Lossless is basically uncompressed audio and the highest quality version of Dolby Atmos you can get. Lossy is compressed audio and is used for streaming because of the limited bandwidth that is available. But lossy Dolby Atmos still sounds great. You will primarily get the lossy form of Dolby Atmos from Netflix, Disney+, and VUDU. Prime Video has very few Atmos titles.

Do you primarily stream or do you use physical media like a Blu-ray or UHD player?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I own a fair few Blu-Rays, but 99% of the stuff I watch is on streaming services. Is there any way to get lossless atmos from Netflix? 

By the way, I really appreciate all the help and advice you are offering. Very kind of you! 

Userlevel 7

No problem. I did all of this research before I purchased my Arc. I might as well share what I learned with others!

There is too much audio data in lossless audio for it to be streamed so there is currently no streaming service that offers it.