Answered

Sonos Arc and Amp Connections

• 29 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello.  We are buying a new house that has 3 sets of speakers each connected to Sonos amps.  Each set of speakers is in a different area of the house.  We would like to buy a Sonos arc and connect it to the TV in the living room.  Is it possible to wirelessly connect the sound coming from the TV into the Sonos arc to the amps so the TV sound is broadcast to the speakers in the other rooms of the house.  I think the answer is yes, but wanted to make sure before we make the decision to order the Arc.  

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 April 2021, 00:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes. You would “group” (in Sonos parlance) the rooms together, so that the Arc would send a stereo (not 5.1) signal to the Sonos Amps, which would then play that stereo signal. There will be a slight delay between the sound on the Arc and the sound coming from the Amps (about 75ms), but if the speakers are in different rooms, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Sorry...I don’t know where to post this.  I have a Sonos amp and a new TV with ARC.  I cant get the Sonos to recognize the signal coming in from the TV.  I do have the TV set to that as an output and I am using a new HDMI cord.  There’s a chance one of those 2 new devices is not working, but is there any way I can see if the Sonos is the issue?  Thanks

Hard to define, honestly. Unless you have some other ARC or eARC device, that you can stick at the end of the HDMI cable to see if there’s signal coming out.

However, that raises an important aspect. Your HDMI cable must be connected to the ARC port (looks like all the other HDMI ports, except it has the extra label of ARC on it) in order for the signal to reach the Sonos Amp. If the Amp is connected to another HDMI port, it won’t be receiving the correct signal. 

Make sure that you have the TV input selected in the Sonos controller….and it might be worth double checking that the Amp works for music, and plays fine on your speakers, so that we can rule out most of the extremely slight possibility of hardware failure.