single play 5 with sub or no sub?

• 26 May 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a single play 5 and don't intend to buy another one. Is buying the sonos subwoofer overkill or worth it. Thank you. Frank.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Assuming the unit you have is the current model, it is an overkill; the first thing to add is a second 5 to make a stereo pair that will make a significant improvement in listening pleasure. But if you don't want to go there, the single 5 will suffice.
I agree with Kumar. I have several Play 5's in pairs around my house and you will be much more satisfied with the sound of a stereo pair vs. the single speaker. I also have pairs of Play 3's and Play 1's and have not yet found the need for the sub.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Agreed -- I don't think the SUB will add much value to a single PLAY:5.

Just for completeness, adding a SUB to a stereo pair of 5s does bring some subtle improvements, especially if you listen to bass-heavy music. It's also the best stereo audio quality one can currently achieve with Sonos speakers.