Answered

Should I wait for the alleged Mini Sub, get a used gen 2, or go all out with a gen 3 sub?

• 8 September 2022
  • 6 replies

I’m looking to get a subwoofer for my beam gen 2, but I keep reading about the mini sub Sonos will allegedly release later this year, according to ARS Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08/want-a-cheaper-sonos-subwoofer-youll-have-to-wait-even-longer/

This system will be placed in a room that’s about 10’x10’, so the gen 3 at full price seems overkill, but what are my options? 

If I get a used gen 2 at a good price, then maybe it’ll be worth it. 

I’d like to get a mini sub version, but who knows when or even if it’ll actually release. What do you all suggest? 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 8 September 2022, 13:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

We are all guessing at this point.  I suspect that the sub mini will be around $500 or so, and be designed for smaller rooms like you're trying to use it for. I think it will be announced in the next month or so, delivered before holiday season. 

Will it sound better than a used gen 2? Probably not, gen 2 maybe is too much for your space? 

I do think you'll be able to get two minis in a HT setup, but you won't be able to bond with a full size sub. That will also justify the price a bit, giving you a good range of options. 

Mini - $500

Full sub -$750

2 minis - $1000

2 full - $1500

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Get what you want..it’s your decision.

Will it sound better than a used gen 2? Probably not, gen 2 maybe is too much for your space? 

I do think you'll be able to get two minis in a HT setup, but you won't be able to bond with a full-size sub. That will also justify the price a bit, giving you a good range of options. ****

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Badge +20

This is a good point, Sonos actually purchased a company called Mayht back in April whom claim to shrink speaker size. it’s possible Sonos had been working with them prior to the takeover and the technology is going to be in the mini sub. Then again it may not…. 

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/11/sonos-buys-mayht/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIbch84PaRKYr1Jyus62xMIF-lNRTJHW3iHL64Kfx9asxJ78RXZYwqcTuIOGWZ5v2U6FoRUukVrEiLLsM_rYp5V-HV6KqLy_VeaMQYgKFOJsX7iMGHQOvFRdhXV4lHehOZl6jPZ-vAVN0jnaktVWPIkN3lgLioRUBB4iJ2vdPMjq

Badge

I would wait till they fix true play I have the expensive arc/sub3 combo and need to turn true play off for sub to sound like a sub, this is in a 12x14 room in a  corner setup imperfect setup tru play helped  with sound from arc but killed sub...

Badge +20

I would wait till they fix true play I have the expensive arc/sub3 combo and need to turn true play off for sub to sound like a sub, this is in a 12x14 room in a  corner setup imperfect setup tru play helped  with sound from arc but killed sub...

The OP does not use an Arc.