Answered

Should I upgrade to a Sonos Port.

• 5 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

Long story short. I have a Gen 1 Connect. I’m about to upgrade my HiFi system (speakers and amp) and hoping to improve my streaming source (currently using Spotify) to CD quality using TIDAL, Apple or Amazon Music. I may not notice the difference, but want to at least give it a try.

The Gen 1 Sonos Connect obviously isn’t suitable for CD quality streaming, so I’m thinking I should upgrade to a Sonos Port and move to the S2 app. I’ve been hesitant to upgrade due to the mixed reviews over the past few of years, and am curious to know if there have been any improvements with the sound quality issues some people have had (either from the unit itself or in the app) since it’s launch 3 years ago. The sales guys in the hifi stores here in Sydney like to push the BlueSound Node, but I’m already invested in Sonos, and happy with it.

I’m currently using RCA cables on the Connect and thinking I would possibly use the digital coax on the Port if this would work better with the Amp (Cambridge Audio CXA81)? I’ve read that this seems to work better for the Port when the line out is fixed, but this makes the Sonos app volume redundant. I’ve also read there may not be an issue when using the RCA cables, so a bit confused as I thought the digital out produced a better sound even if it is marginal. 

As most of the negative reviews and mixed comments in the discussions are over a year+ old now, I’m wondering if the general consensus has improved. If not I may try and hunt down a second hand Gen 2 Connect. I’m also now wondering if a Gen 2 Port is in the works, admittedly it was 6½ years between the two Connects and 4½ years between the Connect Gen 2 and Port, and with delays on almost everything else nowadays I wouldn’t be expecting it anytime soon.

Appreciate your thoughts?

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 September 2022, 15:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The Gen 1 Sonos Connect obviously isn’t suitable for CD quality streaming

Where did you get that idea from? My first Sonos purchase was a ZP80, the original ancestor of the Connect, in order to play FLAC files from my local network storage -- in lossless CD quality.

Your Connect is capable of playing Amazon Music for example in 16/44.1 ‘HD’ quality, i.e. Red Book CD quality. If I were you I’d get a digital coax cable and hook it up to your Cambridge amp, and see how you like it. No need to use Fixed Volume, by the way.

As @ratty has said, all Sonos players and speakers since the very start have been able to play lossless CD quality files.

I would add that most of the criticism of the S2 app stemmed from pure ignorance.  The apps are just remote controls, and the S2 app works in a virtually identical way to the S1 app.  the Sonos system is as robust as it has always been.  

There is nothing inherently better in the digital output from the Connect compared with the analog, but by using the digital you will use the DAC in your amplifier rather than the DAC in the Connect, and that may give a small improvement.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks Ratty and John.

I was reading today the S1 app didn’t play CD quality on https://www.soundton.com/sonos-connect-vs-port/ but you’re both right and this website confused me, they obviously got this wrong. At the moment I don’t need to upgrade to the S2 or a Port, so will try the Coax once I’ve got my new gear and see if there is any difference, will be interesting to test it out. All good, cheers, glad I asked the question.

Sounds good.  That article is doubly wrong - in implying that there is any Sonos device that cannot play CD quality, and in suggesting it has anything to do with the apps, or S1 vs S2 OS.

I think you will be happy with the Connect into that amp.  (I have the same amp, as it happens)

Hi

Long story short. I have a Gen 1 Connect. I’m about to upgrade my HiFi system (speakers and amp)

Why are you doing this? What do you expect to get that the present kit does not deliver - assuming it is still in good working condition.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think you will be happy with the Connect into that amp.  (I have the same amp, as it happens)

Good to know. Thank you.