Answered

Replacing 5.1 AVR with Sonos Products

• 2 August 2021
  • 9 replies

I’ve been banging around sonos site for awhile trying to figure this out.

I understand Sonos AMP is 2 channel.

I understand that if you want 2 Front, 2 Rear, you get 2 AMPs.

What I don’t understand is:

1. How do 2 AMPs act as one zone together?
  2. what about the center channel? (if you don't want a sonos soundbar)
  3. does it actually do true 5.1? or does it treat each set of speakers as stereo
  4. How do you handle the multi-sources? I have Apple TV and Nintendo Switch for example.
  5. Does Sonos AMP have Airplay2 directly? So it appears as a speaker to broadcast to in IOS devices? If so, what happens when you have more than 1AMP meant to power one zone?

Any help would be appreciated! I like the idea of migrating to Sonos over time, just can’t figure out this first step of gear I need.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 August 2021, 19:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

1. They are “bonded” together in the Sonos software, so that the front acts as left, (faux center) and right, and the rears act as surrounds. Note that the rear Amp has its subwoofer output turned off when used in that configuration.
  2. As above, the system uses the front right and front center create a “faux” or interpolated center channel. 
  3. Yes. as “true” as can be. It does use the center channel data, and splits that between left and right in order to create that “faux” channel.
  4. It’s handled through the TV set, which acts as a “switch”, and provides the front Amp the data from the HDMI-ARC output.
  5. Yes, the front Amp would have AirPlay 2 (stereo only) directly. As above, the Amp powering the rear surround speakers would have that function turned off.  Yes, it should appear in the iOS management screen, if it is a valid “target”.

Wow thanks for the precision replies!

1. Ok so no wired center speaker possible. But if I bought a sonos soundbar, it would be able to take over as center?
  2. I have a laser projector, not positioned optimally to become the “switch”, is there other recommended hardware that could be used?

No, a Sonos soundbar of any type includes all three front speakers/channels. So you’d get left, center and right. You can not set up a soundbar as a center channel only.

Sonos isn’t designed for convenient use by projectors. Most don’t have an ARC output, and of course by their very nature are at the back of the space, rather than next to where the speakers should be, in the front. 

It’s a category that I’d love Sonos to consider a product for, but right now, super long inconvenient cables and hardware seem to be the best way to deal with projectors. If you’re looking for Atmos using an Arc, then an HD Fury Arcana and some long cables, if you’re just interested in Dolby Digital, than any HDMI switch with an optical output and long cables would be appropriate. 

Hmm well maybe I can rearrange.  I have the VAVA 4k ultra-short throw so its not way out in left field.

https://www.vava.com/products/4k-ultra-short-throw-laser-projector-1

It does have arc, and two inputs which matches my needs… i’d just have to move my devices from the cabinet in corner to the center cabinet i guess.

Hmm, I think I’m going to give this a shot and hope for the best!  I’m just tired of buying AVRs that haven’t really innovated their human interface or design at all in 30 years.

Thanks so much for the info Bruce!

Oh one more question…

I don’t really want my sonos amp to be wifi. What are those ports on the back, RJ45 network? Why two?

And no other SONOS product is required? Like some “hub” / connect thing or AMP is all inclusive?

Based on what I see in the picture, that’s an ARC, and not an eARC port, which means it will pass Dolby Digital Plus, but not anything beyond that, so you’ll be limited on certain aspects (although not hugely) of Dolby Atmos. As long as you stick to Dolby Digital Plus on any source feeding that projector, it should be fine. 

But you’re still going to need a cable between that HDMI-ARC port and the Sonos. Or, if you’re just interested in Dolby Digital, between the S/PDIF port and the adaptor/connector provided with the Beam or Arc. (or purchased to add to the Amp).

Based on what I see in the picture, that’s an ARC, and not an eARC port, which means it will pass Dolby Digital Plus, but not anything beyond that, so you’ll be limited on certain aspects (although not hugely) of Dolby Atmos. As long as you stick to Dolby Digital Plus on any source feeding that projector, it should be fine. 

But you’re still going to need a cable between that HDMI-ARC port and the Sonos. Or, if you’re just interested in Dolby Digital, between the S/PDIF port and the adaptor/connector provided with the Beam or Arc. (or purchased to add to the Amp).

Well there’s some fine print… i did confirm with vava support, no atmos, plain ARC. Which means I really don’t want to use the projector.

Now I’m at a loss at what to do...

Plain ARC should still carry Dolby Digital Plus, which includes Atmos (a version of it, there’s 2), so I’m not sure what feedback you were getting from the CS rep.