Question

Pre-purchase questions about Dolby Digital, Audio Drop Outs, Odd Sounds, and Other stuff...

• 23 May 2017
  • 7 replies

I am considering a Sonos soundbar and have some concerns/questions:

Does Optical cabling provide Dolby Digital 5.1? I have an LG OLED B6 55 Inch.
Will I have problems with audio drop out when watching TV? I've read about this issue in a variety of threads.
Will I hear static/popping sounds when changing channels? With my Denon HEOS this is a very annoying issue that Denon claims is normal behavior?
Can I power on/off the Sonos bar using my TIVO remote?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Bear in mind that the forum is for the tiny minority who have problems. I have the same TV as you and have no issues with my Playbar based 5.1 setup.
I cannot answer the tivo remote question.
Thanks and understood! Do you have any issues with audio drop out or wired sounds when changing channels?
None at all. I can only speak for my experience. To get 5.1 from Blu-Rays does depend on my Samsung player though, as this transcodes DTS to DD5.1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Great tv, I have it as well 🆒
No problems with sony HT av amp with optical, there is quite a delay from changing tv inputs/channels till the sound actually comes out the speakers, guess this avoids sound pops, deciding what decoder it is going to use etc
Great tv, I have it as well 🆒
No problems with sony HT av amp with optical, there is quite a delay from changing tv inputs/channels till the sound actually comes out the speakers, guess this avoids sound pops, deciding what decoder it is going to use etc

So you are using the Sonos with a receiver?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
No iam not.
I am just wondering if sonos have built enough initial delay into outputting sound to avoid pops etc
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My Samsung TV doesn't pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 so I used to use a 4 x HDMI with video/audio output.
This worked to a fashion but I have recently given it the boot as sometimes it took me 10 minutes of remote cycling to get the damn thing to actually pass 5.1 or 2.0 from my satellite PVR. I did used to get pops when I changed TV channels from a stereo (Standard Definition) TV channel to a 5.1 or 2.0 channel (High Definition) and vica-versa. I would also get delay in re-starting the audio if I had paused a playback and also audio over-run (picture frozen and audio still continues.

I now connect the PVR directly to the Playbar and have no more pops but the audio over-run and start delay is still there.