Answered

PORT or no PORT

• 26 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Our old home was pre-wired and we used a SONOS Connect on our network to provide the sound source from our PC (Using SONOS S2 software) to our stereo receiver that was wired to the speakers.  Our new house is not pre-wired for speakers so I was looking at using SONOS Play 5 speakers in the house over WiFi.  One SONOS staff member I spoke to said I will need a PORT to connect to the speakers from our PC even though the PC and the speakers are on the same WiFi network.  However a SONOS dealer locally told me I do not need the PORT, that I just need to use my iPad or iPhone to set up the speakers on the network and then the SONOS S2 app on my PC will find them.  Which is correct?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 26 July 2021, 22:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The dealer is correct.  

You do not need a Port or Connect to use a Sonos Play:5 in your home.  The Five can connect wirelessly by itself, or you can wire it directly to the network.  You would still need the connect (or port) to play Sonos audio through your receiver, if you can find a use for it. I’m not quite sure what the Sonos staffer was talking about.

You do not need to use your PC at all with Sonos.  It is simply one of many options for controlling the audio played over Sonos.  As the dealer stated, you will need to use your phone or tablet to do the setup, but you can also use your phone or tablet as a controller too.

Thanks Danny, I appreciate the answer.  The primary reason we use the PC is because it has all of our CDs on it, probably a couple hundred by now.  But you’re right we could just run our Sirius XM app from our tablet.  

While not my preferred setup, you may be able to use Airplay 2 to play music from the PC. Or, you could set up a shared folder and access music directly from the PC. My preferred setup is to store the music on a NAS drive. SONOS can directly access the music and the PC can be shut down.