Answered

Please Help - can't stop the dropping out

• 27 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello to all,

Hoping someone can help me with this - I have a decent turntable going into stereo fives and then a number of ones throughout my house. All going through my wifi. I run Google points re a mesh system as I have a large house and one router/ point isn’t enough. Also - where I have the turntable and two fives are at the opposite end of the house to where I have my cabled internet. This works fine for normal streaming of tv and internet needs, but something isn’t happening for my Sonos system.

My question relates to the Sonos Boost and will it fix my issue. If I buy one I have to hook it up at the opposite side of my house to the turntable and fives because that is where I can plug in an ethernet cable so it has to stretch that far out.

Also, can I have multiple Boosts. I have bought a three point pack from Google for my Mesh, can I do something similar with Boost or will I be confusing it all?

Thanks in advance everyone - Robin

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 June 2022, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wobind 

Thanks for your post!

The best way to tell if a Boost will help is to temporarily wire a speaker to ethernet, as a wired speaker will perform the same task as a Boost. In fact, if any of your Ones live within cable reach of the router and can be wired permanently, then you likely don’t need a Boost at all. Please remember to keep any wired products at least 1m away from your router and any mesh nodes, and only wire Sonos via the main mesh node (unless the mesh is in Bridge/AP mode).

Yes, you can have multiple Boosts, but bear in mind that each Sonos device (excepting Roam and Move) that picks up a SonosNet signal (from a wired component) will retransmit that signal. Basically, each speaker becomes a mesh node for other speakers to connect to. It’s possible that you don’t need more than one ethernet connection for your whole system.

I generally regard buying a Boost as a last resort - only do so once you have been in touch with our technical support team and every other option has been explored. They will be able to try some things with you and query the Sonos system as to interference levels and signal strengths so as to figure out the best options for you.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you @Corry P ,

I hadn’t thought about that and I will try it tonight. My problem only seems to be with the line in signal being transmitted to either the second sinks five in the stereo setup or the other speakers. General internet and service streaming is fine. 
if I cable in one of the Sonos one speakers do I need to select a different channel or network in the app or does Sonos do that automatically?

thanks again, Robin

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wobind 

Ethernet wiring the Five that has Line-In will put that particular speaker in the best “position” possible to be sharing the Line-In feed to your other speakers. However, as the stereo pair are in the same room, and therefore relatively close, I think it’s likely that you’re experiencing wireless interference near that speaker - you’d want to reduce that before wiring that speaker (if that’s even an option?), or the ethernet connection likely wouldn’t help - it may even make things worse! Please see our Reducing wireless interference help page for more information.

Note that a more centrally-located Sonos speaker may be a better choice to ethernet-connect, for the rest of your system - it depends on the layout of your home and of your speakers in it.

Before wiring any speakers - if that’s going to involve some work - you may also want to experiment with the Line In Audio Delay setting: Settings » System » [room with Fives] » Audio Delay (under Line In). And also the Line In Audio Compression setting: Settings » System » [room with Fives] » Audio Compression » Compressed.

When you connect Sonos to ethernet, that device will immediately reboot (white flashing) to reconfigure itself as the host for SonosNet. All the other speakers (except Roam and Move) that detect the signal will also reboot to connect to SonosNet, and to retransmit it. It generally takes about 1 minute to switch the system over, and nothing need be done other than connecting the cable. Next, go to Settings » System » About my system and check each room for WM:0 - this indicates the device is connected to SonosNet. WM:1 means the device has a WiFi connection, and WM:2 indicates surrounds connecting to their Home Theatre host device (which is fine in either setup). If you don’t own Roams or Moves, and none of your rooms show WM:1, you can then safely follow the steps on Remove a WiFi network from your Sonos system.

By default, SonosNet will use WiFi channel 6 - if your WiFi (or possibly your neighbour’s) is on, or near, channel 6 too, you can change SonosNet to a different channel at Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel. Make sure all of your rooms are present in the app before you do so, however.

I hope this helps.