Question

Play:5 vs Playbar sound quality

• 17 November 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
I want to buy either Play:5 (single) or Playbar for my living area. I am more interested in music sound quality than TV sound. Which has better sound quality for streaming music?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The consensus for music is the Play:5, if you spend any time around these boards. The Playbar is no slouch, but it doesn't have the same depth of sound field as the Play:5, due to its size. However, if you're ever going to want to connect to a TV, the Playbar with a sub wins out.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I agree with Airgetlam. Further, in my opinion the Playbar needs the Sub to shine whereas the Play:5 does not.
The Playbar is no slouch, but it doesn't have the same depth of sound field as the Play:5, due to its size. However, if you're ever going to want to connect to a TV, the Playbar with a sub wins out.
I haven't heard a Playbar, but I suspect it will take a 5 pair for the first statement quoted to be evident.

And even a 5 pair can be connected to a TV and the Sub not missed quite as much. There will be a small lip-sync issue, but few are distracted by it, once the TV speakers are muted.

To the OP therefore; start with one 5 and start saving up for another!
[quote=Kumar]
And even a 5 pair can be connected to a TV and the Sub not missed quite as much. There will be a small lip-sync issue, but few are distracted by it, once the TV speakers are muted.

Rolling through some old threads to get more info.

But us this correct? You can connect a play 5 to a TV? I thought you could only connect soundbars?
If the TV has audio out jacks, you can, via a cable with one jack at the 5 end.
If the TV has audio out jacks, you can, via a cable with one jack at the 5 end.

Thanks. I should have thought of that. I guessed I dismissed it while back cause the TV does not.
I have a playbar and sub and love it. I had it first without the sub. And it sounded great without the sub. I personally don’t think you can go wrong with just the play bar. But with the sub. It’s even better. I also have a play 3.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Many have said the Playbase has better sound for music (has more bass then the playbar).

More for Music Sound I would go Play:5 vs. Playbar. Playbar gives a Dolby Prologic surround sound feel to regular stereo music. It fills a room but its not the normal stereo image your used to.