Outdoor options in a Sonos system...

• 23 April 2019
  • 5 replies

I do not have a connect / amp. I have four 5s, four plays, a beam, and 3 ones running throughout the house. This is my first spring/summer in the home, so it’s time to get my outdoor speakers mojo going. From what I’ve seen, the sonance option doesn’t have much appeal, beside being “endorsed” by Sonos. And, I already have decent outdoor speakers I can mount and wire.

So, here’s the question. I’m looking to mount 2 speakers to the exterior wall. I have an outdoor/indoor, enclosed bar/arcade area and i’m thinking about mounting 2 more speakers. I’ll have to run about 80 feet of wire to connect the far speakers. Am I buying the amp:connect?

Note of frustration. If Sonos has just created an outdoor version of the play:5 I would buy 4 and smile all day. I am continually frustrated by their inability to bring their system outdoors.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

So, here’s the question. I’m looking to mount 2 speakers to the exterior wall. I have an outdoor/indoor, enclosed bar/arcade area and i’m thinking about mounting 2 more speakers. I’ll have to run about 80 feet of wire to connect the far speakers. Am I buying the amp:connect?

I would get the new Sonos Amp. This article talks about connecting more than a single pair of speakers to the amp.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US
I am continually frustrated by their inability to bring their system outdoors.
How would you safely supply mains power to the far speakers in the outdoor environment if they could do so? Just curious.
In your case, make sure your speaker cable has conductor cores of adequate thickness for the cable length needed.
I already have multiple power lines running throughout the backyard.
I already have multiple power lines running throughout the backyard.

But you have to agree that that's not something that's not something people would typically have, right? People don't normally have power and wifi access outside the same as they do inside. As well, the speakers would have to be ruggedized to an extent to make it safe and long lasted under temperature extremes, and wet conditions, something that would surely significant raise the cost. It's not that big of a deal for passive speakers, but active speakers with an onboard computer is a different case altogether.

But you have to agree that that's not something that's not something people would typically have, right?

Making it thus a very small market for the effort needed, and at price points that will sell in it. Which is why powered external speakers are so rare; I don't know if there are any.