Optimal Sonos layout for large open plan room

• 26 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi Sonos Community!

My wife and I have bought a barn conversion off plan and I’m starting to think where to put plugs and wiring for speakers etc.

The main living space is around 8.5x8.5m, the ceiling height in the middle is 8m!

The existing timber frame is still there, around 3m up from the ground so was thinking of mounting the Sonos on these?

There is a mezzanine area where we’re going to have our TV. 

I’m trying to figure out what to do in the main space which has kitchen, dining table and living space (sofa and woodburner)

Do I try and just fill the room with 4x 1s or Era 100s?

Or should I do more strategic placement based on the 3 ‘zones’?

Maybe just a pair of fives either side of the kitchen projecting into the whole space?

Thoughts please!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That is a big space! I think I’d lean to Sonos Amps and large, efficient other brand speakers. Second option a Port, other brand amplifier and speakers. Add low frequency support as needed. Four Fives might do the job if you added Subs. Ear level will almost always sound better than high mounting.

For the TV space the Arc is good but look at the Era 300s and a Sub to fill that open space.

I’m trying to figure out what to do in the main space which has kitchen, dining table and living space (sofa and woodburner)

Do I try and just fill the room with 4x 1s or Era 100s?

In general, larger spaces are better served by the alternative quoted above. That solves the problem these spaces have of music otherwise having to be too loud in the part of the space near the speakers, to be well heard on the other side of the space. And it makes more sense to not stereo pair any of the speakers because the stereo effect is available only in a small part of the space; so leaving each speaker to deliver all the content, but grouping them together works better. Of course, as long as you get more than one speaker of the same type, this can be decided later by playing around with how the speakers are configured via the Sonos app.