Answered

Optimal Setup for Record player + 4K projector + Apple TV

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello,

I’m moving in to a new place in a new country so I’m having a fresh start device-wise.

Only thing I own for the moment is an Apple TV 4K. 
I don’t want to buy a TV so I will buy/use a 4K projector to watch movies. 

When I listen to music, I’m using Apple Music from my iPhone and I also have a record collection that is following me. I plan on buying a record player with a built-in pre-amp (https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/turntables/dp-300f)

I thought about buying two Sonos Five in stereo for the living room, one being connected to the record player through line. A Sonos One for the bedroom. And a Sonos Move that I could move between the Balcony/Kitchen. 
Maybe I’ll add a sub-woofer in the living room as well.
Would this work? Would everything be connected together?

However, I don’t think I’ll be able to leverage Dolby Atmos from Apple Music/ Apple TV with this set-up.
From my understanding, I would need an eARC cable going from my projector to a Sonos Arc/Bean right to enjoy Dolby Atmos sound from the Apple TV, right? 
I don’t want to have a cable going across my living room from the projector to the sound bar…
Would another way that I didn’t think of exist?

Thank you very much for the help!
Rim

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 July 2022, 10:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rim 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Yes, you would be able to play records over any of the speakers you listed, with the record player wired to either Five.

And you would indeed need an HDMI connection to get Atmos on Sonos - Atmos over AirPlay is not available on third party products. A cable would be essentially unavoidable. Please be sure to purchase a projector that supplies ARC/eARC or you will not be able to connect an Arc or Beam to it at all (well, you could physically, but it would not work). And yes, you’d need either an Arc or a Beam (Gen 2) to play Atmos.

Soundbars are meant to go under a TV, and projectors are meant to be behind the viewer - they are not a good match if you don’t like cables. There are such things as wireless HDMI transmitters, though I don’t know if they would provide ARC - you’d have to research - and are even less likely to provide eARC. They are likely a much more expensive solution than a cable, and may introduce latency of their own.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rim 

Another option would be to get a Sonos Amp. Although it doesn’t support Atmos, it still supports Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound. If you fitted long-enough speaker wires, you could have the Amp at the back of the room along with the projector, connected via HDMI. Speaker wires are a bit easier to hide/route than HDMI cables. Surround speakers would connect to the Amp wirelessly.