Newbie Needs Help

New to Sonos, not an audiophile at all but bought a vacation house and the smoking hot young girlfriend thinks bringing in some music would be a good idea. Love the concept of WiFi rather than bluetooth. Here are the areas I would likely want sound:

- Living area: Large, open (including open to the kitchen) with a 65" flatscreen. Playbar and Playbase seem like logical choices. But, aforementioned smoking hot young girlfriend is very fussy about fit and finish. Wondering if a One or one of the Play models would be suitable for this room?

- Master Bedroom: Any reason not to just put a One or a Play:1 in there and call it a victory? If the aforementioned smoking hot young girlfriend is in the bedroom listening and I am in the living area watching tv through Sonos can the units work independent of one and other?

- Guest Bedroom: Screw 'em, gotta manage the budget!

- Large patio area. The patio opens up from the living area. Wondering if with the doors open the sound from the living area would be sufficient for the patio. Or do I put a dedicated unit out there? How do these hold up under the elements? The patio is well protected from above (a roof) but wide open from 3 sides.

Thanks in advance for any counsel on this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
strange my post went missing

Again, the hot young girlfriend is right, music makes the vacation nicer

living room, wait a bit on that decision. At least after june 6. There might be a 3rd Home theater speaker coming.
But for the surround since it is a large room, go with 2 play 3. And set them to full for music.

Master Bedroom, 2 play one or sonos one should work fine, unless it is super big, then 2 play 3 might be better. Some people do not like the idea of having a mic in the bedroom. If that is concern. skip the sonos one.

Patio, go with 2 play 3 for the home theater and turn them toward the patio when you are outside. Or go get 2 play 1, as the price is dropping. And just put them outside when you are outside. And when you have guest, just move them to the guest bedroom.

Listen to the girl friend. And see which home theater speaker she prefers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 - If smoking hot girlfriend is in the bedroom your not supposed to be in the living room watching sports.

I would get Playbar if the TV is on the wall in living room and Playbase if TV using its pedestal feet.

I would get a Sonos:One for the bedroom.

You can take the Sonos:One from bedroom outside if you need extra or grab a second Sonos:One to plug in outside when you want some extra (just plug in power cord and take inside when not using). The Sonos:Ones are considered humidity resistant (that's why I recommend it over the slightly more powerful Play:3).

Nice thing then is you have Playbar/playbase and a couple of Sonos:Ones. If you really wanted to get 5.0 sound watching a movie you could put both Sonos:Ones in living room and pair them up as full surround sound (although the playbar/playbase does a very good simulated surround).

Last piece to the puzzle eventually would be getting the Sonos Sub. It adds a lot to the experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh some other housecleaning items.

You could put the other Sonos:One from outside in the guest room when not using.

All speakers can be independently controlled an either play the same thing or something completely different.

ie. You can be listening to TV in one room, music in bedroom, and a different radio station outside....all at same time.

The Sonos:Ones will have voice control (alexa and google later this year).

The Sonos:Ones will also have Airplay2 coming later this year. So you could send a song via airplay2 to one of the Sonos:ONes and have that playing just on that Sonos:One or group with the living room etc. and play to all rooms.

You can use the Sonos app to group/change/adjust all as you need.
Big thanks to Chris for both the personal and the Sonos advice. Correct on both counts!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Just one thing about the playbase. It might now work as a pedestal for a 65 inch. If your TV has one solid base. It is most likely to narrow to support the TV correctly. I know from personal research. It should work find if the TV is wall mounted.