Answered

New Sonos Amp with speaker groups

• 12 February 2019
  • 7 replies

I'm considering getting the new Amp and have a couple of questions:

1) Can the Amp be grouped and play audio sent from a Beam which is connected to a TV?
2) Is it possible to have an RCA input into the Amp, but redirect audio to another set of Sonos speakers without audio coming out of wired speakers?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 12 February 2019, 20:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
I'm considering getting the new Amp and have a couple of questions:

1) Can the Amp be grouped and play audio sent from a Beam which is connected to a TV?

Yes

2) Is it possible to have an RCA input into the Amp, but redirect audio to another set of Sonos speakers without audio coming out of wired speakers?

Yes, I realized my error after I hit submit. What pwt is referring to is “line-in auto play”. You would select a room/zone in the Sonos App and the audio would be directed there. You could even designate other rooms to be included.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes, but not without grouping. For example you connect a CD player to the Sonos Amp. You could group the Sonos Amp to other Sonos and just lower the volume via the Sonos app on the speakers connected to it.
That’s incorrect. It’s perfectly possible to direct the Line-In to any Sonos player, and not have it play on the Amp. The Amp can even be playing something diferent. No grouping is required. Maybe you’re confusing Line-In with AirPlay?
Userlevel 7
Thanks pwt. I had Grouping on my brain and couldn't get pass it:P I edited my response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks pwt. I had Grouping on my brain and couldn't get pass it:P I edited my response.
You don’t need Autoplay, either 🙂
Userlevel 7
You don’t need Autoplay, either :)

Agreed, but I took jtbob's question to mean he wanted the redirect to be automatic...hence designating a room. I have a trun table connected to one of my Sonos Amps but have line-in set to Play 5,s in another room as the "auto play". No need to go into the app to select it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You don’t need Autoplay, either :)

Agreed, but I took jtbob's question to mean s/he wanted the redirect to be automatic...hence designating a room. I have a trun table connected to one of my Sonos Amps but have line-in set to Play 5,s in another room as the "auto play". No need to go into the app to select it.

I understand how Autoplay works, but there was no mention of ‘automatic’ in the original question. Often that is not what one wants. Anyway, the basic question is answered correctly now.
Great, thanks both!