New Sonos 5s or Keep High-End Bookshelf Speakers?

• 14 December 2020
  • 5 replies

A couple of the Sonos products in my system are out of date and need to be “updated” (replaced).   One of them is the Connect Amp in my den.   The reason I originally got the Connect Amp was to integrate a pair of bookshelf speakers that I already had, and that I really like.   For the upgrade, I think my options are (1) replace the Connect Amp with the new Amp and continuing using the bookshelf speakers, or (2) buy a pair of Sonos 5’s, ditch the Connect Amp and sell the bookshelfs.   Option 2 would cost me several hundred dollars less when netting out the money I’d get from selling the bookshelfs.    I guess my questions are:   (1) Are there advantages to going with a 100% Sonos setup, versus having some third-party speakers and an Amp?  (2) Sonically, how do the new Sonos 5’s compare to high-end bookshelf speakers running through an Amp?    (3) Anyone interested in buying a pair of Proac Tablette Reference 8 bookshelf speakers….?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have the same dilemma (but with a pair of Yamaha NS-10Ms that I’ve had for 40+ years).

I suspect that it would depend on the layout of your home and how you like or think that you like to listen to music now.

While the Sonos do not (emphasis) sound like my beloved speakers, the ease of use and the ability to add sound all over in relatively small packaging makes up for missing out on critical listening (I have reprioritized the way that I listen to music through Sonos).

Sonically compared?

You should see if your favorite Sonos retailer will allow you to compare the two setups within your home; it is ultimately your ear and your decision.

Interested in buying…?

No, but thank you and good luck!

Sonically compared?

You should see if your favorite Sonos retailer will allow you to compare the two setups within your home; it is ultimately your ear and your decision.

Well said; even where from a tech point of view amp+passive speakers are obsolete, personal preference may still be for the sound from this combination as compared to that from the active crossover and DSP based tech in Sonos speakers.

Or, the preference may be small enough to be overcome by the lower footprint/cable clutter in a Sonos speaker set up.

Thanks for the responses.   Actually, the convenience factor is actually on the side of buying the new Amp and keeping the bookshelf speakers, since the speaker wires are already run.   All I’d need to do is unplug the old Connect Amp and plug in the Amp.   If I go the route of replacing the bookshelf speakers with the Sonos 5’s, I’d have to run electrical wires down to wherever the nearest plugs are (probably in the cabinets below the bookshelves).     I did read some pretty awesome review of the Sonos 5’s, so I’m leaning in that direction - even as good as my Proac speakers sound.

The 5 units ought to deliver more robust bass than the Proac but may be shaded for midrange. Trying for yourself is the way to go.

Well it’s done now.   I placed my order for the Sonos 5’s just now.   I realized we’re going to be moving in the near future, and it will be a lot easier to relocate the Sonos 5’s than to rewire for the Proacs in the new house.    Thanks for the responses and advice.