Skip to main content

Hello,

I am just starting to learn about Sonos. For our new apartment living room we will have a new 55 “ Samsung TV, and I am looking for a sonos speaker set up for watching movies. I would also like to easily connect my iPhone via bluetooth ( I assume) to play music on the speakers.

The Apartment has excellent wifi. There are also 2 ethernet ports on the wall, and there’s a wifi & router in the front hall closet that the 2 living room ports, ( and 2 bedroom ports) are connected to.

What’s the optimal set up for this ?

I am assuming there won’t be a lag if the TV is the source. Our main priority is good sound for watching movies, and TV.

THANKS !

Perhaps see this link…

The Sonos Ultimate Guide to Sonos Home Theatre.. is it  5.1.2, 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 System?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Beam, sub, surrounds. In this order depending on your budget. For surrounds I wouldn’t go with Era 300 the value isn’t there imo for surrounds - Unless atmos surrounds is at any cost requirement then by all means😀 . would get IKEA lamps or Sonos one instead. 

Buy from a place you can return easily in case you have any issues with the new app and set up. Take a minute Look around here, 2 months after the new app release there’s  still a lot of pissed off customers and the app still sucks. Do you want to join us ? Personally I’m not spending any more money on Sonos hardware until they earn my trust back and fix this disaster. But tbf there’s a chance it’ll work fine for you and you’ll be happy  

Just to maybe tip the balance the other way to @Bumper’s slightly one-sided approach to the new Sonos controller App here - I will add that the new App works fine for me and my own Home setup and there are others here too who have had no issues with it aswell.

I can actually go one step further too. I had occasion to setup and Trueplay tune the following products earlier yesterday with the new Sonos App…

Sonos Home Theatre

• Beam (gen2) - 2 x Sonos One-SL’s & Sub Mini

Sonos Stereo Pair & Sub Mini

• Era-100s  x 2 stereo paired & Sub Mini

i used an iOS (iPhone XR) controller device and the latest Sonos App and no issues were seen with the App or the setup of any product, both Sonos rooms Trueplay-tuned without a hitch.

I’ll just add for those users who may not have seen them, I really like the new TP tuning screens in the Sonos App too. Nice job Sonos. 👍

If I was being one sided I would have suggested they do themselves a favour and buy a different brand that doesn’t throw the user experience of their owners out the window by releasing a alpha app months too early to sell some basic headphones. Owners have been stuck with a reduced feature buggy AF app for 2 months and there’s  No end in sight to this crap. 

But im not gonna pretend that all these people having issues don’t exist and everything is fine because I’m one of the few who are happy with this POS app and will give objectively false impression of the general experience of the app. IME the app sucks. 

As I said, OP should spend 5 minutes and read the posts and decide for themselves if they want to buy in to this crap show, don’t take my word for it or yours. 

If I was being one sided I would have suggested they do themselves a favour and buy a different brand that doesn’t throw the user experience of their owners out the window by releasing a alpha app months too early to sell some basic headphones. Owners have been stuck with a reduced feature buggy AF app for 2 months and there’s  No end in sight to this crap. 

But im not gonna pretend that all these people having issues don’t exist and everything is fine because I’m one of the few who are happy with this POS app and will give objectively false impression of the general experience of the app. IME the app sucks. 

As I said, OP should spend 5 minutes and read the posts and decide for themselves if they want to buy in to this crap show, don’t take my word for it or yours. 

Well I did think your comments were biased, as you failed to mention that some users also have been fine with the new Sonos App too, plus it’s clear you have had no experience of setting up a Home Theatre with the new App. So to inform the OP further I have just added that the Beam (gen2) HT setup did work fine for me yesterday. At least that helps to balance out your earlier comment and provide more up-to-date information.

Ken you didn’t read my comments very closely. No need to get all sweaty defending this disaster, it looks a little unhinged, please resist posting in all caps next 🤣

OP should check the community and decide for themselves no need to take mine or your word for it. Thousands of posts in the last few weeks with lots of feedback from customers. 

Ken you didn’t read my comments very closely. No need to get all sweaty defending this disaster, it looks a little unhinged, please resist posting in all caps next 🤣

OP should check the community and decide for themselves no need to take mine or your word for it. Thousands of posts in the last few weeks with lots of feedback from customers. 

No sweat here @Bumper and I’m certainly not unhinged - just giving the OP here the information that you failed to highlight and clearly were unaware of. 

Hey fam, let’s let it go. The world is full of people I disagree with—and some I even find objectioanabke—and life is too short to argue with them.

@pberman123,

Perhaps ignoring some of the unhelpful posts above (and probably below too), you might perhaps find this additional information helpful…

In any Sonos HT system you can only attach/bond two rear channel left/right surround speakers and either one, or two, Subs (one must be a G3 Sub), or alternatively you can use one Sub Mini.

The front channel left/right speakers are built-into the main Sonos HT products, such as the Beam (gen2), Arc etc. so you cannot add speakers to replace those front channels.

You can ‘group’ (not bond) Sonos rooms together however and this works great for music playback, but note that any rooms grouped with a Sonos HT for playback of TV audio will have a 75ms audio buffer delay - if the grouped speakers are in the same room you may notice an echo effect across such grouping.

There are tools in the Sonos App however to help address this sync issue - see this link for further information:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-and-video-are-out-of-sync

Note: the ‘TV Dialog Sync’ feature will of course buffer the TV audio output and that ‘may’ lead to you noticing lip-sync issues with the video display on screen.

Also note some surround soeajers have line-in ports and Bluetooth RX and may be advertised as having Apple AirPlay capabilities, however these features are disabled when a priduct is used as a surround - the Sonos Soundbars though do have AirPlay themselves, so you can still use that to play music from your iOS device to the HT setup.

A few other ‘perhaps’ helpful links here too:

Hope that information assists.

No sweat here @Bumper and I’m certainly not unhinged - just giving the OP here the information that you failed to highlight and clearly were unaware of. 

Sure Ken  😅 Im sure OP will find others in the community that share your experience. I imagine there are one or two other positive posts amongst the thousands of negative and angry owner feedback.  😅😅😅 

Hey Ken we should share the coming features with OP

It will be useful for them to know when missing features might return to the app if ever. They are buying into a system without full functionality and many bugs which will be taking many more months to fix probably, should be transparent about this. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Hey Ken we should share the coming features with OP

It will be useful for them to know when missing features might return to the app if ever. They are buying into a system without full functionality and many bugs which will be taking many more months to fix probably, should be transparent about this. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Yes, that’s helpful - I guess though you don’t miss what you never had to begin with, as will clearly be the case for the OP, plus that link shows that additional features are going to be added going forward - it’s quite a lot for the months of June/July and I’m guessing more will be along later in the year too and at no extra cost.