Question

New build where would you put built in Sonos wall/ceiling speakers?

• 19 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

Just looking for some advice on a new build. I’d like to put in some built in wall and ceiling sonance but unsure how I should set it up. Anyone interested in providing some feedback?  Here’s the room:

And here’s my thoughts:  wall speakers for built-in L/R channels, and ceiling mounted for side/surround channels. Ctr channel from a Beam.

Appreciate the feedback. 
AJ

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It is not possible to use BEAM only as a center speaker. Nor is it possible to use ceiling or wall mount front speakers with any of the SONOS soundbars.

Given the speaker arrangement that you want to use, I recommend an A/V receiver, rather than a SONOS system for the TV audio. In any case, with this speaker arrangement, viewing will be somewhat uncomfortable because the screen will not coincide with the audio.

TV viewing would be better if the TV is located over the fireplace. One problem with this arrangement is that the screen is often too high for comfortable viewing when mounted over a fireplace. There are TV mounts that will drop the screen in front of the fireplace when viewing. A roaring fire immediately behind the TV is not a great idea but with some planning this can be worked out.

I recommend some ceiling speakers in the kitchen, between the island and the stove.

Buzz,

Thanks for the feedback.  Took me a few days to read up and process what you were saying but now I’m pretty sure I get it.  

Userlevel 7

Hi

This is probably not what you want to do. But my diagram is the only way I see making things work with all Sonos components.  The Playbar can be substituted for in-wall speakers on either side of TV powered by a second Sonos Amp.

One disadvantage of this arrangement is that the window behind the viewer will be reflected by the TV screen. Window blackout drapes are recommended for daytime viewing.

Userlevel 7

One disadvantage of this arrangement is that the window behind the viewer will be reflected by the TV screen. Window blackout drapes are recommended for daytime viewing.

Agreed. I have a similar issue in one of my rooms. However, if the window is facing east (as does mine) it becomes less of a problem. Although drapes or blinds are still a good recommendation.

Thanks AJTrek1 and Buzz for the replies. That bottom wall is actually not a wall but open to the hallway. Don’t think Mama will approve of the entertainment system in the middle of the space.  That being said, appreciate you guys getting me to think a little outside the box on the setup!

Regarding the light, that top wall faces North so not thinking the glare will be too much of a problem although those LG TVs are quite glossy.

My current plan is to still place the TV on the fireplace wall somewhere and per your suggestions and other reading about Sonos use for HT I’ll likely use a dedicated receiver for a 5.1 setup and use ceiling mounted speakers for general background music throughout the house. From that perspective I’ll probably have 4 or 6 in the great room and 2 in the kitchen.