Question

Need advice

• 14 November 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have a 4,200 sq foot house. Excellent router with zero dead spots in my home. My downstairs is all hardwood flooring. My living room I want to make surround sound. The living room and kitchen are essentially connect with no wall. 20ft by 40ft for the two combined my living room is 20ft by 20ft. I was thinking I should get a playbar, a sub, and 2 play ones for the surround sound effect in living room. I also want a play 1 in my dining room which is separate from my other rooms. Dining room is also hardwood with a large rug but the room is 15ft by 12ft. I also want a speaker I can take outside and put on a mount on my covered patio in my back yard. I was thinking a play 5 here or two play 3s. I don't have any backyard neighbors so sound isn't an issue but my budget is (aka my wife). Thoughts on if I am on the right track in my thinking of speaker size for the rooms and outdoor patio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You are on the right track. I would suggest you start with:

1) Playbar + Sub + 2xPlay:1 in the living room
2) Play:1 for dining room
3) Connect:Amp + 2-4 outdoor speakers for patio (yes, you'd need to run speaker wire)
4) In terms of setup, even with strong wifi, I would strongly recommend you connect at least 1 of your speakers to the router. This will put your entire system on SonosNet, which is a stronger and more stable wireless network. There's not cost, and plenty of advantages.

Then, you can always easily expand:
5) 1-2 Play:1s in the kitchen
6) Additional Play:1 in the dining room
7) Play:1s or Play:5s in master bedroom
😎 Misc Play:1s in other rooms/hallways

At 4,200 sq, feet, I am guessing you also have an office, sitting room, basement, garage, etc. Yeah...there's always room for more Play:1s!
Badge
Thanks for the advice.Do you think play 5s are overkill for rear 5.1 speakers? I agree with all you said.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
If you will be using the surrounds for TV use only, then yes, I think the Play:5s are overkill.
Badge
Last question, outside do you think the play 5 would be okay mounted in a covered screened porch?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I would not keep any powered speaker outside, let alone one that cost $500.

I would STRONGLY suggest you consider a Connect:Amp and speakers designed for outdoor use. Running the wiring through the wall and to a permanent mounted location is not difficult and a 1-time task. You will be happy you did so.
Badge
I agree. You are right, you never know until you ask and I couldn't stomach keeping a $500 speaker outside. I asked the Best Buy guy and he said you could definitely do it. I was certainly weary but figured I'd ask someone here. Play 5 to stay in my room!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Covered or not, moisture, wind, sunlight, heat, cold...the Play:5 is meant for indoor use. Let alone the fact that you have to plug it in to live electricity.

There are some excellent outdoor speakers in a wide range of prices. I have Dayton Audio speakers and would highly recommend them, the are a steal at ~$85/pair:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-io655w-6-1-2-2-way-indoor-outdoor-speaker-pair-white--310-010

You can actually run 2 pairs from the Connect:Amp if you wish.