My experience using a Connect (ZP90)

• 25 January 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
This is for anyone who is planning on buying a Connect! I hope to also cover concerns that you have that I also had before I bought one!

I am posting this on Sonos's official website because I have LOTS of good to say about my experience! Why would I post something negative about Sonos here? (this doesn't mean I am biased ;p)

TL;DR:
It's gr8 and I now use them as my desktop speakers. My Sonos is now WAY more versatile than normal speakers and input delay isn't an issue even though it working through your WiFi.

What made me buy a Sonos Connect? Was there any input delay? Was the delay significant in gaming and other applications? Was it easy to setup? I'll answer all of these!

First off, I chose to buy a Connect due to the lack of inputs available for my two Sonos Play 1's. I loved the build quality and sound these speakers produced, and found the only way to get a line in was to buy a Sonos Connect. Even though the whole setup cost me almost £600, it was worth it!

Setup?
Easy! All I did was use the 3.5mm to RCA adapter supplied in the packaging to send my analog audio from my computer to the Connect, which then uses the WiFi to send the audio to the speakers. I am now happily using my dual Sonos speakers as my desktop speakers now. In regards to how to set it up in the app, just add a player and during the process select the Connect setup. When done, link up whatever grouped speakers you want to your Connect.

Do note that there is an Optical and COAX port, though they're outputs NOT inputs.

Input delay
They say the input lag from the Connect is around 70 ms in uncompressed mode (a couple of seconds of delay is added when compressed mode is enabled so I highly discourage this for desktop use) which is probably correct. However, using the Connect myself I can barely tell the difference... The ONLY time I can see a/v sync issues is when playing an audio intensive game like Osu! as that requires precise timing in both audio feedback and input from the mouse/graphics tablet. In FPS games like CoD, I can't tell... You'd think that the fact I am shooting a fast firing automatic weapon would make the a/v sync pop out like a sore thumb but it actually didn't! I was really impressed honestly. Other games I like Rocket League sound AMAZING and Skyrim sounded awesome with the orchestral music.

Any problems?
I did get an issue where the audio would drop out for a split second, then re-connect straight after... But that fixed itself and I never get that issue anymore for some weird reason? If it persists in the future I will get in touch with Sonos. It's also worth noting that when I got that issue, the forums was FLOODED with the same issues so it's probably a blip.

Conclusion
I recommend the Sonos Connect if you plan to accompany it with an existing Sonos system. If you want to have the ability to connect any device via line in to your speakers this is up your street. Even gaming, speaking to friends with VoIP, YouTube, and the desktop app of Spotify I have had the great pleasure of using. I now see my dual Sonos Play 1's as really versatile speakers due to the fact that I can control them wirelessly to play whatever music I want, and use my PC with it too. I have even found a double ended RCA cable with a line out output meaning that I can plug whatever device into the Connect ALONGSIDE my PC for a double input. So I can play music from my Phone, and use them as desktop speakers at the same time. It even acts as an audio output too so I can listen to my Sonos speakers with my headphones connected (i'd never do that but you get the point).

I recommend getting one if you plan to add more functionality to your Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi JackioWrightio,

Interesting read.

Out of curiosity, any reason why you did not got for a play 5 (Gen 2) with its line in for the same purpose, which would have been a simpler and cheaper solution.
That was my first Sonos setup (sits just above my monitors and angled down slightly) as I tend to watch a lot of videos on my PC and never had any delay/sync issues.

I have since redeployed the 5 gen 2 to the living room for music, tracked down a play 5 (Gen 1) to use with my PC as the head phone jack was essential so as not to wake up the rest of the house in the middle of the night and added a few more units around the house.
Badge +1
Hi JackioWrightio,

Interesting read.

Out of curiosity, any reason why you did not got for a play 5 (Gen 2) with its line in for the same purpose, which would have been a simpler and cheaper solution.

Thanks! ^^

Also, good question! There are a few reasons...

1) I prefer a stereo solution. Having individual left and right speakers adds a lot of immersion to music and general tasks that I do on my PC/phone. While an individual Play 5 has AMAZING audio, two Play 1's took the crown due to being able to use them in stereo.

2) I started off with one Play 1, thinking it will be my only speaker... Welp, Sonos have grabbed me in their ecosystem, and had to buy a second speaker. Due to the speakers having excellent build quaity, thoughtful design and immense sound for my ears at least, I wanted to use them as general speakers for my PC and phone, too. From this point, I saw no need to buy a Play 5, as I already own a couple of Play 1's. Instead, the Connect was my choice.

3) I am only using them as desktop speakers, or speakers for my bedroom. A Play 5 would be too extreme in this scenario. Even two Play 1's is a bit over for a room like mine, but they're the best size that Sonos have! My parents also want me to stay away from buying myself a speaker that has the potential to shake the walls down as well.

Who knows, I may even upgrade to two Play 3's...
Sonos why have you done this to me?
No, I must save my money... Sonos can't get the worst of me.
Help!

EDIT: Quick question for you too! Is there zero latency using the line in, in just one Play 5 disconnected from a stereo pair? Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I experienced no latency whatsoever (at least non that my eyes and ears could detect) when a single play 5 (gen 1) is connected via line-in to my computer.

I also have had the pleasure of testing 2 play 5s (Gen 1) in a stereo pair connected via line-in to a computer hooked to a TV due to Sonos' generosity when I was swapping my play 5 due to a busted grill. They sent me the replacement first and I got to keep both for about a week before the busted one had to go back to Sonos, least I get charged for it.

No latency there as well and the sound was amazing, I did experience one of them dropping out a few times but I chalked that down to wifi issues as I was running in a pure wifi (not SonosNet) mode then and had over 20 devices connecting to my router. Didn't spend time investigating as the setup was temporary.
Quick question for you too! Is there zero latency using the line in, in just one Play 5 disconnected from a stereo pair? Thanks!
There's the same ~70ms latency (which may or may not be detectable by the user).
Badge +1
Quick question for you too! Is there zero latency using the line in, in just one Play 5 disconnected from a stereo pair? Thanks!
There's the same ~70ms latency (which may or may not be detectable by the user).

I experienced no latency whatsoever (at least non that my eyes and ears could detect) when a single play 5 (gen 1) is connected via line-in to my computer.

That's the thing, even though there is a 70ms delay, it's so instant you can barely tell if not at all. It's great!
Badge +1
Oooh I have another gripe... If the Sonos don't receive any input they go into standby. I can see where this feature comes from, but when talking to friends, sometimes them talking after a long "non input" wait means I only hear half of what they said as the speakers kick in as it receives an input. Darn. :F
Disable Line-In Autoplay and turn Line-In on/off yourself.

Sonos wasn't designed to be computer speakers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Sadly that's a consequence of using the speakers in a non conventional, not authorised, albeit brilliant configuration.
Have the same with my Play bar every time I turn on my TV. Not much of annoyance there though, not like missing half a sentence.

Wouldn't It be nice if one was able to adjust the sleep timer, probably not a feature required by more than a handful of users.
Badge +1
Disable Line-In Autoplay and turn Line-In on/off yourself.

Sonos wasn't designed to be computer speakers.

Fixed! Thanks Ratty (you Sonos nerd you ;p)

Sadly that's a consequence of using the speakers in a non conventional, not authorised, albeit brilliant configuration.
Have the same with my Play bar every time I turn on my TV. Not much of annoyance there though, not like missing half a sentence.

Wouldn't It be nice if one was able to adjust the sleep timer, probably not a feature required by more than a handful of users.

Ratty's way worked! Unfortunately yeah, Sonos it's really meant to be used for PC speakers - but I love them so much that I had to do it. :'D