Answered

Multiple zones

• 18 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have one pair of Bose speakers currently on my Deck powered by Bose amplifier.

I am planning to add another pair of speakers on my patio.

I want to have the flexibility of able to control each pair separately - i.e., I want to be able to play same music on both pairs, or switch off one pair. Or even control volume on each pair.

I am planning to buy two SONOS amp to do this and connect each pair separately to each SONOS Amp. Will it work? Will I be able to control each pair separately OR all together - Play same or different music on both pairs, or even turn off one pair.

Also, for another pair of speakers, do I stick with BOSE outdoor speakers , or I can buy any other speaker with causing any interference?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 September 2021, 22:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In SONOS speak each AMP would be a separate “Room”, not a “Zone”. Rooms can be played separately or joined together as a “Group” to play the same music and the players will be time aligned with each other. AMP does not care about brand of speaker, but the human might care if each pair sounds different. Some BOSE speakers expect to be driven by a BOSE system that offers special equalization. AMP cannot provide this equalization.

Thank you for the response. 
One more question. Will it be good to buy SONOS speakers with SONOS AMP or it does not matter which speakers to but to run with SONOS AMP? 

Sonos speakers are not ‘powered’ by the Sonos Amp, they are internally powered. They are a stand alone device, that connects directly to your network. 

The purpose of the Sonos Amp is to be used with other companies’ ‘passive’ speakers, that match the Amp’s power and impedance output. That way, you can play the Sonos system/data on other speakers. 

SONOS does market some passive architectural speakers. I have no experience with these units. AMP would be delighted to drive any passive speaker in the 4-8 Ohm range.