Main Bedroom/Bathroom Considerations for new Setup (Beam, One, Move)

• 21 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Main Question:

We are looking at moving to getting a sonos ecosystem for our bedroom/bath/balcony but have concerns about grouping.

We are looking for a flexible setup. We will be spending time on our balcony but am not sure we want to dedicate a built in installation into the balcony.

We have a 55" samsung TV with an HDMI ARC input and I use an amazon firecube as my media device for the bedroom.

Here is the setup i'm considering:

Bedroom - Samsung TV outputting via HDMI ARC to Sonos Beam

Bathroom - Sonos One

Balcony - Sonos Move (may use basic bluetooth speaker if I need to cut costs)

Use Cases:

1. Listen to spotify music through all 3 speakers at the same time

2. Listen to spotify in bathroom through the One while watching TV through the Beam

3. Listen to Audio from the TV streaming device (TV will be on) and send it to the Sonos Move

4. Listen to Audio from the TV Streaming device (TV will be on) and send to all 3 devices

Room Size:

Main Room Dimensions: 15' x 16'

Attached Bathroom: 12' x 14'

Balcony: Enough room for 4 people to sit in chairs with a small table

Additional Information:

• We don't need surround sound for the bedroom, as we'll be mostly watching content exclusively from the Firecube

• We use iphones and are comfortable changing settings in the app

• If we group speakers, can individual speakers be in multiple groups?

• Group 1: All 3 devices

• Group 2: Bathroom and TV

• Group 3: TV and Move

• Group 4: Bathroom and Move

• Can we individually select where sources go if the above groups cannot exist together?

Thanks for any input on this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Makes sense. Each ‘space’ or speaker will be its own ‘room’ in the Sonos controller, you can group them or not as desired. 

Oops. No, a group is a transient thing. You can group them at the time of playing with two keystrokes, but they can’t be in two groups simultaneously. You’ll find it quite easy to do. 

Oops. No, a group is a transient thing. You can group them at the time of playing with two keystrokes, but they can’t be in two groups simultaneously. You’ll find it quite easy to do. 

Yea, a speaker can’t be in multiple groups at the same, time, but not sure that’s what OP was asking for.  I didn’t see anything in OPs setup and uses that can’t be done.  

First comment is that for TV audio, you’re Move and Sonos One will not be in preferct sync with the Beam.  They will be slightly behind for buffering.  Shouldn’t be an issue with the speakers in different rooms.

Second comment I would add is that the Move shouldn’t be left outside on the balcony when not in use.  It can hold up to weather fine, but not intended to live out there.  It might make sense to put the Move in the bathroom, and take it outside when you need to, instead of getting a Sonos One.  That  would mean you can’t have music outside and in the bathroom at the same time, but I would guess that’s not the highest priority.  Or, you could get the Sonos One for bathroom and keep the Move in the kitchen, office, etc.

Thanks to everyone who replied.  If they are in separate rooms, i’m not too concerned about the lag.

I think I just need to go see a demo of the app with multiple units.

I may go the way of just nixing the balcony speaker to being with and focusing on first doing the bedroom/bathroom.  The move is a $400 commitment but I may just wire ceiling speakers eventually as an alternative.  When that happens, I’ll be ripping out everything anyway.

There isn’t much ‘ripping out’ needed with Sonos, and you probably could just add a Sonos Amp to power any ceiling speakers.