Is Sonos Move 'everyone's favourite portable speaker

Badge +1

I received a promotional Sonos email about Sonos Move.

I have a couple of Sonos speakers already.

But the email says:

Make the most of the season with everyone's favourite portable speaker.

Is Sonos move ‘everyone’s favourite portable speaker?’.  That’s a question for Sonos probably rather than the community.  Move hasn't been out that long and I’d be surprised if it’s the most popular portable speaker in the world.  But happy to be corrected.

Is Move really ‘everyone’s favourite portable speaker’?  Or is that just advertising spiel/misleading?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

It is certainly a marketing line. I wouldn’t want to read all that much into it, nor do I consider it misleading in particular. You’d need to define many of those terms in order to suggest that it is not specifically true, but that’s the case in 99% of all advertising, not just Sonos’. 

Badge +1

It is certainly a marketing line. I wouldn’t want to read all that much into it, nor do I consider it misleading in particular. You’d need to define many of those terms in order to suggest that it is not specifically true, but that’s the case in 99% of all advertising, not just Sonos’. 

I thought as much.  But it could be possible to read that as Sonos Move being the most popular speaker - perhaps by numbers sold or being used.

I agree it’s not necessarily a defined term.  However, I feel as though it should be based on some evidence, rather than purely marketing drivel.

I could say I’m the most popular person on the Sonos community! But I’m not subject to advertising rules and standards (in this context!).

It’s entirely possible that at the time that the line was written, based on sales numbers, the Move could be defined as the ‘most popular’. Which it might still be, based on sales, I don’t know. Or it could be in the person’s personal perspective. It is just a line on a marketing page. It could be based on market research, too, without there being any presentation of the specific data to us as readers.  Just because the evidence isn’t laid out does not mean there is no evidence, nor does it mean there is. It is merely marketing. The same type that every retailer of every product sold in the world does (see what I did there?)

Again, I think you’re reading way too much into this. 

Badge +1

It’s entirely possible that at the time that the line was written, based on sales numbers, the Move could be defined as the ‘most popular’. Which it might still be, based on sales, I don’t know. Or it could be in the person’s personal perspective. It is just a line on a marketing page. It could be based on market research, too, without there being any presentation of the specific data to us as readers.  Just because the evidence isn’t laid out does not mean there is no evidence, nor does it mean there is. It is merely marketing. The same type that every retailer of every product sold in the world does (see what I did there?)

Again, I think you’re reading way too much into this. 

I take your point. However, marketing shouldn't be misleading.  The advertising standards authority ASA have ruled that “The most comfortable beds in the world” was subjective. Clearly, what you and I think are comfortable beds might differ.

However, ASA (edit) disagreed with another company's views that their claims of “No.1 for Bathroom Plughole Blockages" and "No.1 for Kitchen Blockages", for drain cleaning products, were puffery.  

The ASA considered that consumers would interpret the claims as meaning the products were the best-selling plughole and domestic drain cleaning products that could deal with the specified type of blockage, outselling competitors’ products, but the data provided by Challs did not demonstrate that their products outsold all others in their category.

I would place the Sonos ad closer to the Challs claim than the beds example. It doesn’t mean that Sonos have to include the evidence in a marketing email.  But they could be asked to substantiate their claim if it was challenged. I have no intention of doing so, but someone could.  We could only really determine if it was classed as puffery if it was challenged through such an authority.

It doesn’t have to be misleading for it to break the rules.  Clearly if a company advertises a product and when it arrives it looks nothing like it, that is misleading. Even if if could be misleading, it might be breaking the rules.

However, the question here is more about “Distinguishing between objective claims, subjective claims and puffery”.

In the case of the bathroom company, the ASA disagreed that the above claims were ‘puffery’.  And I think this is what you are referring to in your comment.  It’s a grey area, but I don't feel it’s as clear cut as you make out.  Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It’s just marketing speak.  Up until this pandemic I worked for the Worlds Favourite Airline, which i doubt it has been for a few years,.  Personally I don’t believe a thing I’ve read in any marketing materials, and not sure who is mug enough to.  Marketeers will try and convince you black is white or that VW cars are the most reliable in the world. 

Take it to the ASA if your so inclined, it’s clearly got your goat.

Oh and I’ve got two Moves.  They are certainly the most popular portable speakers in our house :)

Badge +1

It might be the world’s favourite portable speaker.  I didn't say it wasn't.

I’m certainly not taken in by marketing speak although I am already in the Sonos world with my extensive collection of 2 speakers!

The Move looks good and has some favourable reviews. I’d prefer if it was a little cheaper, but given that I already have a foothold in the Sonos camp, it would be a speaker I consider if we decide we need it.

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Move is the best portable speaker I have ever owned, so it is definitely my favorite portable speaker.

But the email says:

Is Sonos move ‘everyone’s favourite portable speaker?’.  That’s a question for Sonos probably rather than the community.  Move hasn't been out that long and I’d be surprised if it’s the most popular portable speaker in the world.  But happy to be corrected.

Is Move really ‘everyone’s favourite portable speaker’?  Or is that just advertising spiel/misleading?

The Move has been out for almost 3 years, since we are quibbling over subjective nonsense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Technically it only needs 1 person to prefer a different one - such as the Roam - and the “everyone” is no longer a valid claim/statement. But that’s marketing...

Badge +1

But the email says:

The Move has been out for almost 3 years, since we are quibbling over subjective nonsense.

I didn't think it had been out that long.  I was going off memory rather than any fact check.  But since you queried that, I did a quick Google and it seems like it was released on 24 September 2019.

You can call that ‘almost 3 years’ if you wish, but I'd call that 20 months - or less than 2 years!

Admittedly, ‘almost 3 years’ is approximate.  Let’s call it ‘over a year’!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I think it’s accurate to say “everyone would call that ‘over a year’ ”  😜

Badge +1

Technically it only needs 1 person to prefer a different one - such as the Roam - and the “everyone” is no longer a valid claim/statement. But that’s marketing...

True. Maybe it was based on a poll of the Sonos community in 2020, when the only truly portable speaker that Sonos offered was Move.

I might not sure that I would get an objective opinion in this community anyway.  Naturally, some people contact the community to report or resolve problems.  However, most people in this community are probably interested in or have a collection of Sonos speakers. And yes, a collection would be one :)

I can see the advantages of Roam but if I was in the market for a portable speaker, then I would likely have Move towards the top of my list. So, to some extent, it is my favourite portable speaker.  Damn  - they’re right. It’s my favourite speaker. It’s probably everyone else’s favourite speaker too.:sunglasses:

Badge +1

I think it’s accurate to say “everyone would call that ‘over a year’ ”  😜

I think some people might quibble that it’s ‘more than’ a year and I perhaps shouldn’t have used ‘over :nerd:

Or that it’s closer to two years. 

Or even almost 3 years.:hourglass: