Answered

Information about Sonos Beam expansion

Userlevel 1

Dear all,

Hi, I’m a new Sono user.
I would like to ask here some questions and search for suggestions, so let’s start:

• AFAIK TruePlay is configurable only with iPhone. What if I have only Android? Isn’t there another way?
  • Which speakers are compatible with my Sonos Beam Gen 2 to expand my Home Theater System?
  • Are there compatible speakers that are wireless and rechargable? My goal is to use them only when needed, so when I play a movie and then place them somewhere when not used.
  • In case I add two speakers, are then they added as back-left and back-right speaker? I mean on a Dolby audio movie I’ll able to listen the ambient sound coming from behind with the back audio channels?
  • Last but not least, what would you give priority to expand my setup. Starting from a little subwoofer or starting from the rear satellite speakers?

Thanks a lot to all!

Simon

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 August 2023, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

1. If you felt it absolutely necessary, you could temporarily borrow an iOS device and run TruePlay. Many people who already have one don’t feel the need to run TruePlay, as it can make little to no difference if your speakers and room are already set up optimally. Many individual speakers now include a version of TruePlay, but that is for individual rooms/speakers, and not for ‘home theater’ rooms.
  2. All speakers except the Roam and the Move (well, the Arc is also out) can be used in pairs to be surround speakers with your Beam. 
  3. Yes, but those are not able to be used as home theater speakers…as noted in 2., the Roam and Move are battery powered/rechargeable. 
  4. Yes, surrounds are back left, and back right channels. 
  5. Depends on you, your wallet, your ears. To expand the Beam, I’d normally suggest surrounds first, then later a Sub or Sub-mini, but there are those who would reverse that order of purchase. 
Userlevel 1

Hello @Airgetlam , thanks for the fast answer!

I’ve another doubt. Looking on the Sonos ERA 100, which are the cheapest solution (right?), compared to the ERA 300, the 100 didn’t have Atmos capabilities. It’s correct that this feature is not needed in case I’m using it as satellite speakers in a Home Theater setup due the “brain” remains my Beam Gen2?

Thanks!

Simon

I think the IKEA speakers are the cheapest solution for surrounds, but it isn’t something I keep up to date on. 

I’d encourage you to read up on the differences between the Era 100s and the Era 300s. They’d both be excellent ent surround speakers for a Beam, but if you’re really interested in Atmos, than the 300s are better, due to the additional drivers. Of course, if you’re really interested in Atmos, you should be using an Arc rather than a Beam, too, due to its additional upward firing speakers used for Atmos, which do not exist in the Beam. 

Userlevel 1

Hi again @Airgetlam ,

Well, I’ve choosen Beam to have a mid-range soundbar. I know that ARC is better, but for my room size and needs, it’s enough. I’ve even seen the main differences.
About the Era100 and Era300, maybe I’m wrong, but what I was expecting is that, showing a movie with Dolby Atmos, the Beam is getting the signal, and, having then two satellite, it sends only the rear channels to them. So in that way it doesn’t matter if rear speakers are Atmos compatible or not. Isn’t it in that way?
Otherwise, would be the rear stream re-encoded? I feel that for a 3 - 4 meters area where I would put the satellite speaker, the Era100 could be enough. Even the IKEA could be an option as well.

Thanks!

Simon

In the Beam gen 2, it can send either a standard surround signal to the rear speakers (Era 100s) or the expanded Atmos surround signal that uses the extra speakers on the Era 300s. Both sound great. It’s merely a matter of cost, and how ‘invested’ you are in the Atmos content. 

IMHO, if you’re going with a Beam up front, then the Era 100s are perfect for rear surrounds.

Userlevel 1

Thanks a lot @Airgetlam for your time and suggestions.

I wish you a great day and summer.

Simon

Userlevel 1

Hello @Airgetlam :-)

Sorry for asking again, but browsing the different solutions on Sonos HomePage, what about SONOS ONE SL?
The SL version, compared to the SONOS ONE, shoud differ only for the assistant which is missing.
Keeping in mind that the goal is to expand only the Home Theater with my Beam Gen 2, would this an option as well?
Sonos ONE should be replaced by Era 100, I know, but my target is to have this as part of the home thater and not as a standalone speaker.
Would I loose sensitive sound details with this solution?
Joining than, at the end, with a Sonos Subwoofer, the result should be, I hope,  a solution that could play nearly everything (movies and music), having different components that actually will act as a single instance. Would it make sense?

Due the budget is an option, the question is, if it’s possible to have a GOOD solution keeping in mind the costs ;)

Thanks again!!

Simon 

The Sonos One SL is an optimal surround speaker. 

Userlevel 1

The Sonos One SL is an optimal surround speaker. 

Great, than this could be THE CHOISE. As soon then a SUB-MINI and the setup should be than completed!

Thanks again!!

Simon

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

This is my set up. A Beam Gen 2, 2 x OneSLs as surrounds and a Sub mini. Sounds great!

Userlevel 1

This is my set up. A Beam Gen 2, 2 x OneSLs as surrounds and a Sub mini. Sounds great!

That’s exactly what I would then have, thanks for sharing your experience!!
Hope I’ll can enjoy movies (dolby 5.1) and music well, so far :-) 

Simon