How do I connect TV output to Sonos Amp in different room?

Badge

We have a Samsung Frame TV (which has a One Connect Box) in our Kitchen and we have Sonos amps located in our Garage which has the AV rack. The Kitchen has ceiling mounted speakers which are driven by the Sonos amp. What I would like to do is to have the TV’s output sent to the Sonos amp. I have 1 CAT6 cable that runs from the AV rack to the TV where it is plugged into a switch and from the switch, I have a cable that goes to the back of the One Connect box and another to the SKY Q box. The Samsung One connect box also has a Optical Out so can I use this output and provide the output to Sonos using the ethernet cable and some Ethernet connector. However, this means that I cannot use the ethernet cable for anything else. In reality, I should have run more cables but it is too late now.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have 1 CAT6 cable that runs from the AV rack to the TV where it is plugged into a switch and from the switch, I have a cable that goes to the back of the One Connect box and another to the SKY Q box.

Is this “switch” a network switch or an HDMI switch? Are you sending any video over the CAT6 or only network traffic? Is the goal to send audio back to the rack?

Badge

I have 1 CAT6 cable that runs from the AV rack to the TV where it is plugged into a switch and from the switch, I have a cable that goes to the back of the One Connect box and another to the SKY Q box.

Is this “switch” a network switch or an HDMI switch? Are you sending any video over the CAT6 or only network traffic? Is the goal to send audio back to the rack?

Thank you for your reply.. the switch is a network switch. I am just using this for network traffic so the TV and SKY Q box have hard wired network connection and not rely on WIFI. The goal is to get the audio from the TV to rack so that I can plug it into the Sonos Amp that is powering the Speakers in the Kitchen. Had I used my brains when we were running the cables, I would have had 2 extra CAT6 cables run to the TV but we didn’t do that.

Maybe, your WiFi is good enough and you could use it for the TV and SKY Q, then use the CAT6 for audio. 

A very contrarian approach is to modify the CAT6 wiring to give a network connection and an audio connection. The resulting network connection will only be 100Mbps and you’ll need some ‘boxes’ for the audio.

Sorry about the mess:

Here is the network wiring scheme. Note that you only need four wires.

Here is an audio device that only needs four wires. You’ll need to redefine the wiring a bit because it shows the same wires as used above. Use pins 4-5 for the white and 7-8  for red.

Finally, you’ll need a TOSLINK to stereo audio converter at the TV. There are a zillion of these things listed online. Here is one example..

Note that there is mild risk of audio noise because audio and network are sharing the same cable. While this is not the “recommended best practice”, I don’t think that you’ll get into trouble for a 10-20 meter link.

Badge

Ahh that is great bit of info.. my only concern going down this path would be audio sync problem as the sound is going from digital to analogue and then back to digital. Only other option is to go with WIFI for both appliances and use the ethernet for HDMI over Ethernet. House is wired up for Unifi Wifi so I have got APs which provide solid Wifi so this can be relied upon. Other then that, I may just buy a Sonos Beam and mount it under the TV and then group that and the Kitchen Amp but it is a more expensive solution and I am keen on not adding anything extra on the wall.

There’s always something like this, which would keep everything in the digital domain. At the garage end it could input to the Amp via the Sonos optical/HDMI adapter.

Badge

There’s always something like this, which would keep everything in the digital domain. At the garage end it could input to the Amp via the Sonos optical/HDMI adapter.

Thanks for this.. good alternative.. however, will it allow me to use the single CAT6 cable which is also connecting the TV to the Internet too?? Or do I have to just isolate the cable to be used for audio transmission and connect the TV and SKY Q box to Internet using Wifi..

It looks like it needs a dedicated cable. It also provides power to the remote device.

Any of these Line-In schemes will add 75ms latency. BEAM latency is about 30ms for its built-in speakers. If you Group AMP with BEAM you’ll have the 75ms latency for AMP’s output. At the cost of some lip sync you can adjust BEAM’s audio delay to align with the 75ms latency. Note that audio is pokey, traveling about one foot per millisecond. Even with speakers wired to the same amplifier, the more distant speaker will seem “late”.

Another approach would be wireless audio such as this. This unit will require an optical to analog stereo conversion at the TV and, of course, a good wireless path to the garage. Although the latency of this device is low, you’ll still have AMP’s 75ms latency.