Help with new construction speaker selection/placement

• 13 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi! We are building a custom home and need help choosing between the following setup options. Our plans and drawing of the fireplace/TV are at the bottom of my comments.

1. Arch + two in-wall speakers in the rear with an amp. 
  2. 5.1 setup with architectural speakers. Center speaker would have to be above the fireplace and below the TV.
  3. 2 in wall speakers (right+left with no center) around the fireplace wall with two in-wall speakers in the back wall.

Notes/questions:

-The two rear speakers in the back wall will be located above the cased opening to the kitchen.

-Our fireplace wall is streamlined so I worry the Arc would be a little bit of an eye sore.

-Our great room has 14 foot ceilings. Is this too high for Arc?

-Would we receive the same audio quality with options 1 and 2?

-Would it be too much (too many speakers) if we added two in ceiling speakers in the kitchen? Or do you think the system in the great room would suffice?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Amanda

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I am not sure quite what you are referring to in your second option… ‘5.1 setup with architectural speakers’. It’s not something I’ve seen as part of a Sonos HT setup, unless you’re thinking of using a 3rd-party Receiver and passive surrounds?

The other two options mentioned, are both viable from a Sonos perspective, but reading your comments it looks like you are slightly already against the Arc from an appearance viewpoint above the fireplace and there are concerns with the ceiling height etc. So my thoughts are to go with option 3, which would require two Sonos Amps, one Amp to drive the front in-wall speakers (with phantom center) and another to drive the two rear in-wall speakers. I would also add a Sonos Sub to that setup to give 4.1 HT surround sound.

With regards to the kitchen and other places like the deck etc. I would maybe consider adding one or two semi-portable devices like the Sonos Move for example, as they sound great and can also be used elsewhere around the Home and outdoors and obviously can be grouped with the proposed HT setup in the Great Room for ‘Music’ playback in perfect sync. Otherwise I don’t see any harm in adding a third Amp and two more ceiling speakers in the Kitchen area, but that of course depends if you would like to use speakers elsewhere inside and outside the premises. 

Hope those suggestions assist you to make your decision.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just consider that your room will not fit perfectly with an ideal home theatre set up, with the rear speakers being high up (they should be a the hight of the listeners ears) and the TV placed too high up for viewing (where your eyes while viewing should be at one sixth from the top of the TV) and above a source of light (the fireplace). The way you planned it now will be a compromise. You have to decide if it is good enough or not. Maybe talk to a professional while still in the planning phase?

I am not sure quite what you are referring to in your second option… ‘5.1 setup with architectural speakers’. It’s not something I’ve seen as part of a Sonos HT setup, unless you’re thinking of using a 3rd-party Receiver and passive surrounds?

The other two options mentioned, are both viable from a Sonos perspective, but reading your comments it looks like you are slightly already against the Arc from an appearance viewpoint above the fireplace and there are concerns with the ceiling height etc. So my thoughts are to go with option 3, which would require two Sonos Amps, one Amp to drive the front in-wall speakers (with phantom center) and another to drive the two rear in-wall speakers. I would also add a Sonos Sub to that setup to give 4.1 HT surround sound.

With regards to the kitchen and other places like the deck etc. I would maybe consider adding one or two semi-portable devices like the Sonos Move for example, as they sound great and can also be used elsewhere around the Home and outdoors and obviously can be grouped with the proposed HT setup in the Great Room for ‘Music’ playback in perfect sync. Otherwise I don’t see any harm in adding a third Amp and two more ceiling speakers in the Kitchen area, but that of course depends if you would like to use speakers elsewhere inside and outside the premises. 

Hope those suggestions assist you to make your decision.

This helps a lot- thank you! For option 2, I was thinking I could buy a Sonos center speaker and use the same amp for the L+R speakers. Is this not an option with Sonos?

Can you explain how the “phantom center” would work with option 3? This is the route we will most likely take due to aesthetics as long as we can get away without a center speaker.

Appreciate the help!

Just consider that your room will not fit perfectly with an ideal home theatre set up, with the rear speakers being high up (they should be a the hight of the listeners ears) and the TV placed too high up for viewing (where your eyes while viewing should be at one sixth from the top of the TV) and above a source of light (the fireplace). The way you planned it now will be a compromise. You have to decide if it is good enough or not. Maybe talk to a professional while still in the planning phase?

We went into Abt Electronics yesterday and they were trying to sell us on the Arc. I’m just not sure it will work with the fireplace and ceiling height. They didn’t give much insight on options 2 and 3. I can definitely seek another professional opinion for the room though- thank you!

This helps a lot- thank you! For option 2, I was thinking I could buy a Sonos center speaker and use the same amp for the L+R speakers. Is this not an option with Sonos?

No Sonos do not currently have a center only speaker option to use with the Amp, or other speakers, for the front HT channels. Maybe one day that might happen, but it’s not an option at the moment.

Can you explain how the “phantom center” would work with option 3? This is the route we will most likely take due to aesthetics as long as we can get away without a center speaker.

Appreciate the help!

The HT front center channel is merged with the left/right front channel audio and so the centre channel does not exist, as such, but the effect from both front speakers will make you believe that the central channel audio is present. A touch of Sonos ‘trickery’ I guess …and the separation does help to give a much wider soundstage.. so great for music audio too.

No Sonos do not currently have a center only speaker option to use with the Amp, or other speakers, for the front HT channels. Maybe one day that might happen, but it’s not an option at the moment.

Appreciate the help!

The HT front center channel is merged with the left/right front channel audio and so the centre channel does not exist, as such, but the effect from both front speakers will make you believe that the central channel audio is present. A touch of Sonos ‘trickery’ I guess …and the separation does help to give a much wider soundstage.. so great for music audio too.

Awesome. We will go this route then.

Thank you so much!