Answered

Help with Amp Port set up, do I have the right equipment for the job?

• 13 May 2023
  • 5 replies

I recenly purchased the Sonos 2 Amp and the Port. I have a house that is wired with speakers that are driven through a Insignia 200w receiver/amp combo. My goal was to connect my turntable to the amp and connect 2 speakers direclty to the amp to get the best sound quality. I also wanted to be able to stream the music playing on my turntable to my Insignia receiver/amp and have the option of playing the music throughout the house. The rep at my local stereo store recomended that I purchase the Amp, plug the turn table into the amp along with the 2 speakers and then purchase the Port and hook the Ports up to my receiver/amp using the AV ports on boat. I connected everything and have beautiful music playing throu the Amp however I am not able to get the music to stream from the Amp to the Port to the receiver/amp. I am beginning to wonder if this is even a possible scenario. I have both the Port and Amp showing on my Sonos App and I don’t see anything that woulf be in the way except the Amp not being able to stream to the Port through Wifi. Any help with this would be great and if the Port isn’t the solution to accomplish this task is there anything you would suggest to be able to stream from the Amp to my receiver/amp that is hardwired to whol house speakers? Thank for any help.

icon

Best answer by buzz 13 May 2023, 03:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could try a simple test, move the turntable over to the Port, taking the Amp out of the picture, and try playing it from there.

If that doesn’t work try hooking the turntable to the same insignia connectors you had teh Port hooked to.

If that doesn’t work try moving the turntable to the “phono in” connectors on the insignia. If that works you’ll need a phono pre-amp or to switch the phono to line from phono mode to get it working with the Amp or Port as both need the line level, not phono level signal.

There is a common new user misunderstanding with respect to how SONOS works.

Line-In, Line-Out, and amplifier speaker terminals are simply network resources. In some cases, such as PORT, while Line-In and Line-Out share the same “box”, there is no default connection between these two network resources. Similarly, there is no default connection between AMP’s Line-In and output from its speaker terminals.

In your case, simply go to PORT’s control page and select the turntable’s Line-In connection. It doesn’t matter which Line-In (AMP or PORT) the turntable is actually using. The turntable can be “Grouped” to play in any combination of SONOS “Rooms”.

With this detail in mind, can you play online music through PORT to the A/V receiver. If so, you have proved that there is a usable connection between PORT’s Line-Out and the receiver. Don’t be too proud to check the connections. It may be dark back there and it’s easy to mix up ‘In” and ‘Out’. (been there, done that)

Can you start with AMP and Group online music with PORT and play this through the receiver and AMP? If so, you know that AMP can communicate with PORT. If you can Group online music to PORT, there is no fundamental reason why you should not be able to play the turntable through PORT and the receiver.

There is a small chance that you have some local WiFi interference, so severe that PORT and AMP cannot communicate, but I expect that there will be other symptoms if this is the case.

Also, make sure the Port volume is set to Fixed instead of Variable.  Variable into a receiver gives double volume controls, which are almost always too low to hear.  

Yes, good point. With Volume control wars the poor user never wins the war.

There is a common new user misunderstanding with respect to how SONOS works.

Line-In, Line-Out, and amplifier speaker terminals are simply network resources. In some cases, such as PORT, while Line-In and Line-Out share the same “box”, there is no default connection between these two network resources. Similarly, there is no default connection between AMP’s Line-In and output from its speaker terminals.

In your case, simply go to PORT’s control page and select the turntable’s Line-In connection. It doesn’t matter which Line-In (AMP or PORT) the turntable is actually using. The turntable can be “Grouped” to play in any combination of SONOS “Rooms”.

With this detail in mind, can you play online music through PORT to the A/V receiver. If so, you have proved that there is a usable connection between PORT’s Line-Out and the receiver. Don’t be too proud to check the connections. It may be dark back there and it’s easy to mix up ‘In” and ‘Out’. (been there, done that)

Can you start with AMP and Group online music with PORT and play this through the receiver and AMP? If so, you know that AMP can communicate with PORT. If you can Group online music to PORT, there is no fundamental reason why you should not be able to play the turntable through PORT and the receiver.

There is a small chance that you have some local WiFi interference, so severe that PORT and AMP cannot communicate, but I expect that there will be other symptoms if this is the case.

Great ansers from everyone and that you all for providing them. The grouping in the app was the fix. Thank you.