Help selecting new system

• 13 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I am looking for a stand alone CD ripper, player, storage (4 TB+), and FM Tuner that will work with wireless speakers (Sonos) in a two zone environment. I do not want to have to maintain a separate hi fi system. In the past I used a computer with an external drive and a music program (initially Windows Media Center which was great), then Media Monkey), but have had to replace computes as the software has grown old and gone unsupported (Windows Media Center Edition, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 10). I have over 5,000 CDs I want to burn/rip, then back up and then dispose of. Don’t want to have to do again

I am not a super audiophile. But I do want great sound coupled with wireless convenience and system simplicity. I do not use nor do I want to use a voice based system like Alexa, etc. Being able to also link the speakers to my smart tv would be great.

I looked at Brennan B2, but capacity is too limited. Considering Cocktail Audio X35, but is a lot of money and at the upper end of what I think I want to consider.

Hoping someone else here has gone through what I have and can offer some ideas.

Slydogs

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @slydogs,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

Sonos can import playlists from Windows by reading the app’s music library XML file. Additionally, Sonos supports M3U, WPL, and PLS playlist files created with software like WinAmp and Windows Media Player. If your playlist is saved in another format, Sonos cannot import it into your music library. You may use Windows Media Player Network Sharing allows you to stream music to your Sonos system directly from Windows Media Player on your PC.

To stream tracks from Windows Media Player to Sonos, you first need to allow media streaming from your computer.

1. Open Windows Media Player on your PC.
  2. From the menu bar at the top-left, click Stream, then Turn on media streaming
  3. Follow the prompts to share your Windows Media library over your local network.

Once you’ve turned on media streaming, you’ll be able to play tracks directly to your Sonos devices from within Windows Media Player. You can do this by right-clicking on the track, artist, or album, then choosing Cast to Device.

You can also browse your shared Windows Media library in the Sonos app by enabling the Show Media Servers option:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Tap Media Servers, then enable Show Media Servers.

Hope this helps. We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their inputs about this. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.