Going From 1978 to 2018 In One Fell Swoop

Userlevel 2
Badge +8
I have skimmed many of the "What should I buy" answers in this forum, but still don't have a clear picture of what I need. But I do know what I'd like to accomplish.

Basically, my wife hated the Advent Legacy II's we bought in 1991 and talked me into Paradigm bookshelf speakers in '06. Now she hates seeing speaker wire string along the floorboard everywhere... So I suspect a Sonos system, of some type, is what I need.

Here is what I would like:

* Stereo speakers in the living room
* Stereo speakers in the family room (two floors away)
* A speaker (I'm OK with mono) in the master bath
* A speaker (again, mono is OK) on the roof deck

1) I would like to have them all access my component system - an amplifier, Eq, CD player, and turntable.
2) I believe that, by virtue of being Sonos, they'd each be able to access my Sirius and Pandora accounts.
3) I would love to have them access my iTunes library. I am willing to let it sit on a dedicated PC (the entire library isn't on any individual handheld device - OK, I have an Android phone).

I presume the living room and family room speakers should be -3s or -5s, yes? And I'm probably OK with a -1 in the master bath. What could go on a roof deck? (Are there any rechargeable options - so I don't have to run power up to the roof?)

I know the 5s can handle a line in, but if I do that - that means ONLY that 5 can play the components, right? So do I need to connect the component to a CONNECT? And then that will route to whatever rooms are necessary?

I know I can't control the CD changer (or flip a record) with the Sonos app, but I can route a component system to multiple rooms and adjust the volume with the app on a device, correct?

OK, let's talk iTunes. Like I said, I'm happy to put my 120GB library on a PC and push from that to the system. Is there a way to control iTunes with an app? So the interface sits on a device, even though the music files are on a server? I guess it doesn't *have* to be iTunes - just something that will play AAC files (and ideally import Playlists).

My only experience with Sonos was in a streaming-only household. They had a speaker in the upstairs teevee room and one down in the living room. Everything was controlled with an app - but it was only the services that they subscribed to (Sirius, Pandora, Amazon Music).

Thanks in advance. Let me warn you in advance - I'm a cranky old man who doesn't do well with vague technospeak! Answer with acronyms and abbreviations, and you can kiss your frisbee goodbye...

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
So, to answer a few of your questions:

Line-in’s, regardless of the unit, can be played at any zone. So, if you connect your components to a line-in on a 5, you can use the app to play that audio on a 3 or a 1 or a Connect:Amp elsewhere, or everywhere.

Sharing your iTunes library with Sonos can be as simple as just leaving your computer on and sharing the iTunes Music folder with windows file sharing. You’ll likely have to read some of the threads on SMB v1 to find instructions for enabling it, as most modern operating systems, Windows 10 especially, are turning it off by default. And you’re right, it doesn’t have to be iTunes - the Sonos ecosystem has its own app, available on multiple mobile platforms, and Windows and Mac apps, that control the playback.

There are no rechargeable or battery operated Sonos devices at this time. You’ll need power up there, unless you can run speaker wire somehow with high enough WAF (wife acceptance factor in audio enthusiast speak.)

There, only two acronyms 🆒, hope it was helpful.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
OK, yeah. That's great stuff. I figured the iTunes thing will take some tinkering - but nice to know it's at least do-able.

If I read your first paragraph correctly, I only have to run a line from my amp to a 5, and wouldn't need the Connect... and then the entire speaker-system will be able to pull the signal. What if that speaker is playing something else? Can I still listen to the component on another speaker?

I know this is a Sonos-branded community, are there speakers that are not Sonos-branded that integrate with the system? In other words, is there a rechargeable speaker on the market I could use?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I’m pretty sure that yes, the line-in is independent of the currently playing source on that speaker. I’m not home, or I’d test it now. I’m sure someone else will chime in.

If your already using iTunes, then you have very little work to do to get Sonos to see the music - just make sure it’s downloaded, not playing from iCloud, and then find the folder and share it out over Windows file sharing.

I know of no speakers from other manufacturers that work with Sonos like that, but with Airplay2 coming up, you might be able to make that happen.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Thanks! Last few questions:

If your already using iTunes, then you have very little work to do to get Sonos to see the music - just make sure it’s downloaded, not playing from iCloud, and then find the folder and share it out over Windows file sharing.
Does that mean I need a Windows device in each room that I will want to control? (How do I control the tunes - or has Sonos cracked that code?)
Would person A in the bathroom be able to listen to one iTunes playlist and person B in the teevee room listen to another iTunes playlist?
You mentioned that Sonos has an app - does that read AAC files? (i.e., iTunes and Sonos can share the library?)

And...
AM I right in presuming I want two 5's in my "good" rooms? Can I get away with two 3's? They're both about 10x15, wood floors, one has big windows. Thanks!

And, Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Yes, you need to use the Sonos app, but that’s available on phones, tablets and PCs/Macs. I actually bought a refurb Kindle for $30, and it’s the “house” remote for visitors, etc., but anyone with the app on their phone and has connected the phone to the same wireless network as the Sonos devices can control the system. You won’t need to the have a windows machine in every room.

I have two Play:3’s in my master bedroom, which is 17x16 with wood floors, and it gets loud enough to be too loud. I’ve never heard a Play:5 pair so I can’t answer how much better it would be. I certainly prefer my paired 3’s and 1’s to my single Play:5, which has been relegated to the garage. You might want to try to find a dealer that can demo stereo pairs with and without the Sub before you make a decision.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
I have two Play:3’s in my master bedroom... and it gets loud enough to be too loud.Hey, buddy, I'm running a clean show here. Keep your personal life to yourself.

OK, at the risk of being absolutely daft and 110 percent redundant - you're saying that if I set up an iTunes server, the Sonos app will interface with that? That's pretty cool. (Not as cool as if it would flip a record for me, but still!)

Play 3's don't have a line in, so I'd need the CONNECT if I didn't get the 5's. Right?

Sigh this was so much easier when I used lamp cord between my 8-track and my speakers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Ok, just tested it - yes, the line-in can be used on my old ZP100 to play in another room while the device that the line-in is physically connected to is streaming something else. Caveats
1) I had some drop outs on what was playing via Line-in. Someone with newer equipment will need to test to see if this works better with a Play:5 or Connect, given they have more memory and presumably faster CPUs than the oldest device in Sonos' product line.
2) If you have the device with the line-in port set to automatically play the line-in, when it receives a signal it will switch to the line-in, so you either have to turn this off (which may be undesirable if you have a turntable or CD or anything with physical media attached and it's your primary listening space), or remember to start the line-in, then turn on the other music source.

Yes, only Connects and the Play:5 have a line-in at this time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you really need a battery operated speaker on the deck a Connect hooked to a Bluetooth transmitter and a Bluetooth speaker on the deck will work. The sound won't be in sync with your Sonos devices though due to the Bluetooth delay.

If you can find a Gen 1 Play 5 they have an output that can drive the BT transmitter too, gives you local sound as well as the deck speaker.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Thanks, Stanley.

So any speaker hooked up to the Connect will be able to use the Sonos interface? (The "in sync" issue being the lag... But both the BT speaker and a Sonos speaker could be listening to the same Pearl Jam show on Sirius... right?)

Cool beans!

What's everyone's experience with leaving a Play 1 outside? I read some threads about covering them when not in use, and others where they seem indestructible...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have my hearing aids hooked to a BT transmitter hanging off the optical out of my Zone Player (a really old Connect) and they work great as long as the audio system or a nearby Sonos speaker is not playing. I can listen to what is playing in another room on a different Sonos player by grouping the two with a couple clicks.

I baby my Play 1s, don't even leave them in the un-air-conditioned garage when it is going to be over 100 in there. Somewhere not as hot as Phoenix and not too cold, well maybe, but it would be in a rain-proof enclosure.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
For outdoors, the only really good way to do it is to put a Connect:Amp somewhere climate controlled and dry, and run speaker wire. Is there anywhere near the rooftop deck that meets that description, maybe an attic that has a power outlet in it? My house was thankfully wired for outdoor speakers already, back to the same shelf as the other stereo equipment, so I could hook up my ZP100 easily.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
It's a rental, I don't even know if there's a power outlet.... can't get in til next month.... but I'm traveling through a state with no sales tax right now, so that's like a ten percent discount right there.....
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Thanks everyone for advice. I am picking up a Connect, two 3's and two 1's on Tuesday.

Setup question - let me know if I should start a new thread.

I have a Phono and CD that go into an amp/receiver. The "Tape Out" on the receiver goes into an equalizer, which goes back into the amp's "Tape In". So I listen "live" through tape monitor. I have had this eq, literally, for 37 years - it's in its fifth amplifier, but it has always been wired that way.

I noticed the Connect has two RCA line inputs. If I run the line out from the Eq into the Connect, then I lose volume control on the amplifier. But that's probably a moot point, because right now the volume control drives the living room speakers, but I'm about to blow up that paradigm and have speakers all over the place that can be controlled remotely.

So I'm worried about nothing, right? I use the amp to control the physical media inputs (tuner, CD, phono, cassette) and devices to control volume.

airforceteacher (Can I call you "Professor Airman"?) - you said you have a dedicated Kindle for guests. I could also, presumably, pick up a cheap burner phone for the same purpose, right? It doesn't need a SIM to connect to WiFi, and that's all I need... Right? And then that just sits in a drawer to be a remote...
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Alonzo, I have a P5, a P3 and Multilpe P1`s. I would consider the P5 and not the P3. The P5 is 2nd generation and comparing the sound to P3 it is a world of difference. You could start with only one and see the effect; if you really want the stereo, then yes a second P5 is needed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Shoot. I already paid for the 3's!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I guess you have consumer right to change right, in case you prefer P5, did you listen to both ? In any means I would still want the Sonos Connect as well (got one too). Not for the legacy system towards Connect (works also the way you describe) but the other way around , so from Connect towards legacy system. That`s my setup, the Connect integrates the existing system in Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

airforceteacher (Can I call you "Professor Airman"?) - you said you have a dedicated Kindle for guests. I could also, presumably, pick up a cheap burner phone for the same purpose, right? It doesn't need a SIM to connect to WiFi, and that's all I need... Right? And then that just sits in a drawer to be a remote...

That's right, as long as it has WiFi and is connected to the network the Sonos devices are connected to.