Getting the most out of two fives and a sub

• 24 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have had two fives, for a while, and decided to take the plunge and add the sub as well. Just got it today and after placing it between the two stereo fives and doing a trueplay session, I tried different music types to test what benefits you get. I found out that value depends vastly on music choice. Basically, you need recordings that actually have those very low frequencies in them. Not only electronic but also “analogue” jazz and classic work well if there are “base” instruments. Also, when listening at low volume, the sub helps lift those low frequencies without having to turn up the volume. Try e.g. Billie Eilish’s “Your Power” for a better experience with the sub.

What music do you think works well with a sub and two stereo fives?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

when listening at low volume, the sub helps lift those low frequencies without having to turn up the volume

What music do you think works well with a sub and two stereo fives?

To my mind, this aspect of the Sub is more valuable than the head banging thing. As to music, check out album Chemistry by Houston Person and Ron Carter. Just Sax and Bass. Classic laid back jazz.

Userlevel 7

Not sure how your room is designed. That said, you might realize better overall low-end if you place the sub in a corner angled between both walls. Just a thought.

Badge

Any idea of how close to the back wall the sub should be placed?

Badge

This is fine and will work as good as it looks for music; Trueplay will take care of anything little that needs to be done.

Hopefully, the rest of the room has some clutter and soft furnishings to take care of room acoustics, such that the room isn't too acoustically bright.

The speaker distance from each other looks small, but is ok if the listening distance from them is about the same.

Badge

Thanks. Listening to real instruments really makes a difference. E.g. the song, Kyrie, is much more rich now. Was it worth investment? Well, although not strictly necessary, it would be difficult to go back and be without, so I am happy :-)

The classic definition of a properly set up and good sub is that you should not realise that it is there but it should be immediately missed when taken away.