Don't have eARC? Get Atmos w/ HD Fury "Arcana" - Pre-orders now LIVE!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Pre-orders available now! https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FROM HD FURY SITE: 

No eARC TV ? No problem! And no more lip sync issues for eARC TV owners!
WORLD’S FIRST eARC adapter that allows FULL AUDIO up to Dolby Atmos over Dolby TrueHD from ANY external HDMI source to ANY eARC sound system.
Perfect solution for SONOS ARC/BOSE 500/BOSE 700 and ANY eARC or ARC AVR, soundbar or headphones.

I’ve been talking a lot about this in another thread, but now it’s ready to order. If you love your Arc but aren’t getting Atmos / TrueHD for whatever reason (no eARC TV, Apple TV doesn’t like HDMI-ARC, regular HDMI-ARC can’t pass TrueHD, etc.), Arcana is what you need. In a nutshell, it tricks your Sonos Arc into thinking it’s connected to an eARC TV giving you full access to all the audio formats your source(s) can output. 

I don’t work for them - I’m just excited to unlock the potential of my Sonos Arc and don’t want to buy another new TV anytime soon. They need 400 orders in order to go into production, and if they hit 800 pre-orders they’re planning on adding additional functionality (CEC control and the ability to also get audio from the TV’s built-in apps). 

Plus, you can save a few bucks by pre-ordering now. 

If you want Atmos from an external device but your TV is holding you back, do us all a favor and go order an Arcana now.

Sales pitch over. ;-) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Attached Arcana and worked great for Cable, Apple4KTV and Oppo UHD 203. Sounded awesome/great.

Came back on later and the Oppo will not show on the screen anymore or play. Other two options of viewing work fine still. 

Trying to update the Arcana with the unzipped BIN file but Update OLED screen shows, No Update found on the USB. Go back to Menu. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Feel real close to getting this working right but cannot get the Arcana to recognize the BIN updates.

Any help appreciated.

HI

this happened to me.  I reformatted the USB stick.  Make sure you pay attention to the format you choose.  Reloaded the bin file and it worked

Josh

Thanks Josh but which format?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks Josh but which format?

It is in the “Readmefirst” txt file in the firmware download.  It says “

Please refer to usermanual: www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfuryArcana.pdf

1. Copy the arcanafw.bin file on the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick.
2. Make sure Arcana is powered ON and insert the USB stick into the USB update port.
3. Arcana will prompt for update, confirm yes by clicking the rotary switch selector.
4. Once completed, Arcana will prompt to power cycle the unit.
5. Remove the USB stick and power cycle Arcana (remove/reconnect USB power cable)
6. Wait 15sec for the OLED to come back ON. Once completed, cycle infopages to display the FW version info page and confirm it have updated correctly.
7. All Done ! Congratz !

Josh all good and did finally update. Will wait to see if switching/cycling through my 3 inputs works consistent ongoing. 
Note on the USB after reformatted to Fat32 you have to get rid of the 2 text files and have only the BIN file presented to update. Strange it could not find the file with the two text files. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Attached Arcana and worked great for Cable, Apple4KTV and Oppo UHD 203. Sounded awesome/great.

Came back on later and the Oppo will not show on the screen anymore or play. Other two options of viewing work fine still. 

Trying to update the Arcana with the unzipped BIN file but Update OLED screen shows, No Update found on the USB. Go back to Menu. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Feel real close to getting this working right but cannot get the Arcana to recognize the BIN updates.

Any help appreciated.

Try other thumb drives. Make sure FAT32 formatted. Also, smaller capacity ones tend to work better. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just wanted to say I have received my Arcana and have attached it to my Vertex two.

At first was not getting sound from the Tv but I switched to earc only and then it was ok.

Have now updated firmware to .71 without any issue

Watched Transformers  via the OPPO and got full fat Dolby Atmos -absolutely awesome!!

I have noticed that if I try a downloaded movie (ac3 5.1) from a hdd via the OPPO the Sonos doesn't like it and seems to only play the background music and speech, all the main speech etc is missing even if it is 5.1. I didn't get this before. so will keep trying it out.It did happen once when watching Punisher on Netflix but it was ok after turning everything off and then back on. 

Has anyone else had this issue at all ? I am still getting it on either 4k players and I don’t seem to be able to rectify it. Any help would be appreciated.

Have to thank all the People at HD Fury for there help and advice also the superb bit of kit that will no doubt improve with time that has stopped me needing to buy a new TV. I am sure you are all shattered from all your hard work but it is very much appreciated by a lot of people.

TampaBucs23

Just order it HDFury Arcana should arrive Monday 10/5.

Have the Arc, Sun-Gen 2 with 2 SONOS One’s SL

Can’t afford to buy a NEW TV at this time with E-ARC :)

Lets see what happens.

I will post a video on you tube

Peace!

Badge +1

Ok got an issue that may be simple or not. After the most recent update I’m getting uncompressed truehd Atmos. But non of my dts hd master audio or dts-x movies have audio. Is this an issue with the Arc or the Arcana. I can’t believe it’s the arcana. 

Sonos still doesn’t process DTS in any format. It must be Dolby Digital Plus or (Dolby) TrueHD. You’d need to check with HD Fury about whether their device transcodes from DTS to a readable format for Sonos. 

@barritia The Sonos Arc doesn’t support dts or dts-x codecs.  Sonos product never have.  In order to watch that content, you would need your source device (blu ray player or streamer) to transcode that code to DD, DD+, or TrueHD.   So both the Arc and Arcana are doing what they were designed to do.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok got an issue that may be simple or not. After the most recent update I’m getting uncompressed truehd Atmos. But non of my dts hd master audio or dts-x movies have audio. Is this an issue with the Arc or the Arcana. I can’t believe it’s the arcana. 

Hi

As the others have said to use DTS it has to be transcoded into DD 5.1, I chose to go with a second 4k Blu ray player as Samsung units can do the transcode. I picked up a Samsung M9000 off eBay for a reasonable price and less than an Xbox. It is set to transcode to Dolby Digital in the audio options and it works a treat, it also means that I now don’t have to get rid of my DTS (and there are a lot more than I expected!) Discs

Badge +1

Wow that’s not something I come across when buying the Arc and researching it. 90% of my movies are in DTSHD master Audio format which I prefer over Dolby true HD. It’s bad enough having to buy an Arcana but now I got to get another player capable of down sampling my Audio to get sound! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wow that’s not something I come across when buying the Arc and researching it. 90% of my movies are in DTSHD master Audio format which I prefer over Dolby true HD. It’s bad enough having to buy an Arcana but now I got to get another player capable of down sampling my Audio to get sound! 

Yes it’s not ideal but Sonos have never been keen on DTS, there are a lot of people pushing for them to incorporate LPCM which might make things a little easier for some.

As I said above I have a lot of DTS Discs and like you used to prefer DTS (as I thought it sounded better) however I have gone with the extra 4k player because I think the ARC is a fab piece of kit and watching movies using it is awesome!. 

Hi everyone, Looking for a spot of advice. 

My setup:

Samsung KS7000 (no eArc)

Sonos Arc with 2x One SL’s

Nvidia Shield Tv (2017)

Amazon Firestick 4K

Currently using the tv’s on board apps for streaming services, Netflix, Disney, Amazon. 

2 Questions; If I purchase an Arcana,

1) Do I need to buy a new media player to experience better audio. 
2) Is there a single player you would recommend that isn’t too expensive. 

Thanks all. 

Badge +1

Yes it’s not ideal but Sonos have never been keen on DTS, there are a lot of people pushing for them to incorporate LPCM which might make things a little easier for some.

As I said above I have a lot of DTS Discs and like you used to prefer DTS (as I thought it sounded better) however I have gone with the extra 4k player because I think the ARC is a fab piece of kit and watching movies using it is awesome!. 

it sounds much better than Dolby. Most can’t tell the difference as they use sound bars and cheap amps and speakers but DTS had master audio sounds as good as Dolby Atmos. In comparison to True HD DTS HD master Audio sounded vastly better. Just seems stupid not to support it like every other company does. Seems like a stupid thing to leave out. I use to specifically look for the same titles mastered in DTS over Dolby for that reason. Atmos is an improvement over true HD alone but they don’t help my current selection. If I knew this before ordering I wouldn’t have ordered and kept my 11.2 setup and upgraded the receiver to an Atmos. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

it sounds much better than Dolby. Most can’t tell the difference as they use sound bars and cheap amps and speakers but DTS had master audio sounds as good as Dolby Atmos. In comparison to True HD DTS HD master Audio sounded vastly better. Just seems stupid not to support it like every other company does. Seems like a stupid thing to leave out. I use to specifically look for the same titles mastered in DTS over Dolby for that reason. Atmos is an improvement over true HD alone but they don’t help my current selection. If I knew this before ordering I wouldn’t have ordered and kept my 11.2 setup and upgraded the receiver to an Atmos. 

Well I believe Sonos has a 100 day return policy so if you were inclined you could revert back to what you had before. I like you found DTS to be better sounding and always chose that way. I moved away from amp and speakers when we had to look after grandkids. I ended up going for the Yamaha YSP2700 and I thought that sounded great until I heard the ARC but assumed (wrongly) that it would accept everything but went with the Samsung M9000 as a second player rather than not be able to use my DTS discs. it would be nice to have Sonos do the DTS as well but I think it is very unlikely.

Quick question is Arcana with the current update works great and sounds awesome. The only thing I find is on the Apple 4K TV the Netflixs, Prime Apps and Apples Movies purchased are all UHD but only in 5.1 sound. But the Disney+ App plays lots of Atmos True HD within it’s movies etc. Disney+ sounds great!!

Why are the Netflixs(I have the UHD/top paid version), Primes and Apple Movies/most UHD only in 5.1 sound?  

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Quick question is Arcana with the current update works great and sounds awesome. The only thing I find is on the Apple 4K TV the Netflixs, Prime Apps and Apples Movies purchased are all UHD but only in 5.1 sound. But the Disney+ App plays lots of Atmos True HD within it’s movies etc. Disney+ sounds great!!

Why are the Netflixs(I have the UHD/top paid version), Primes and Apple Movies/most UHD only in 5.1 sound?  

For me, Netflix is Atmos… 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

You know not all Netflix contents are Atmos, right?

What contents did you try in Prime? Only very few shows are Atmos there. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Your research lead you to something as niche as Arcana but didn’t surface the fact that the Arc doesn’t support DTS? I’m honestly a little surprised at that and I’m truly sorry you were caught unawares. I read a dozen reviews before I bought my Arc and every one of them mentioned lack of DTS support as a con of the Arc (and Sonos in general). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Atmos content is still fairly limited. Netflix has a decent amount. Disney+, too, especially for Marvel / Star Wars stuff. Apple TV+ seems to be putting out most of its content in Atmos. But beyond that, you’re only going to get Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo 2.0 out of Apple TV and Arcana in my experience, depending on the content. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

You know not all Netflix contents are Atmos, right?

What contents did you try in Prime? Only very few shows are Atmos there. 

Yeah, like one. Jack Ryan is the only one that I’m immediately aware of. Maybe Mrs. Maisel? Not much. 

Simple question; Will Apple TV 4K stream Atmos from all the major providers (Netflix, Apple TV+, Prime and Disney+)? I read somewhere a while ago that there were issues with one of them.

Reason I ask is I have an older non eArc TV which the apps are starting to become buggy on. So looking at updating my streaming media device and getting an Arcana. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Simple question; Will Apple TV 4K stream Atmos from all the major providers (Netflix, Apple TV+, Prime and Disney+)? I read somewhere a while ago that there were issues with one of them.

Reason I ask is I have an older non eArc TV which the apps are starting to become buggy on. So looking at updating my streaming media device and getting an Arcana. 

Yes, Apple TV 4K supports Atmos from all of the streaming providers you mention. If the content itself is in Atmos, you’ll get Atmos from the Apple TV 4K to Arc via Arcana 

I’m tempted to bold that statement.... If the content itself is in Atmos