Don't have eARC? Get Atmos w/ HD Fury "Arcana" - Pre-orders now LIVE!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Pre-orders available now! https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FROM HD FURY SITE: 

No eARC TV ? No problem! And no more lip sync issues for eARC TV owners!
WORLD’S FIRST eARC adapter that allows FULL AUDIO up to Dolby Atmos over Dolby TrueHD from ANY external HDMI source to ANY eARC sound system.
Perfect solution for SONOS ARC/BOSE 500/BOSE 700 and ANY eARC or ARC AVR, soundbar or headphones.

I’ve been talking a lot about this in another thread, but now it’s ready to order. If you love your Arc but aren’t getting Atmos / TrueHD for whatever reason (no eARC TV, Apple TV doesn’t like HDMI-ARC, regular HDMI-ARC can’t pass TrueHD, etc.), Arcana is what you need. In a nutshell, it tricks your Sonos Arc into thinking it’s connected to an eARC TV giving you full access to all the audio formats your source(s) can output. 

I don’t work for them - I’m just excited to unlock the potential of my Sonos Arc and don’t want to buy another new TV anytime soon. They need 400 orders in order to go into production, and if they hit 800 pre-orders they’re planning on adding additional functionality (CEC control and the ability to also get audio from the TV’s built-in apps). 

Plus, you can save a few bucks by pre-ordering now. 

If you want Atmos from an external device but your TV is holding you back, do us all a favor and go order an Arcana now.

Sales pitch over. ;-) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Good catch @Highfalutintodd.  Found that this was reaffirmed in the Discord channel. Sounds like they plan on shipping around mid September, but that’s not firm yet.

Nothing stated on why they are boosting the batch size.  I’m sure it’s to accommodate all pre-orders and distributor orders, as well as some for direct sale after it’s released.  Just curious if Sonos, installers, or some other source is interested in this, more than the other HD Fury products.

They’d said a few days ago on Discord that this is turning out to be their biggest product launch by far so I’m guessing they are definitely getting interest from their reseller partners. I think they know they’ve probably got a hit on their hands. 

Good catch @Highfalutintodd.  Found that this was reaffirmed in the Discord channel. Sounds like they plan on shipping around mid September, but that’s not firm yet.

Nothing stated on why they are boosting the batch size.  I’m sure it’s to accommodate all pre-orders and distributor orders, as well as some for direct sale after it’s released.  Just curious if Sonos, installers, or some other source is interested in this, more than the other HD Fury products.

They’d said a few days ago on Discord that this is turning out to be their biggest product launch by far so I’m guessing they are definitely getting interest from their reseller partners. I think they know they’ve probably got a hit on their hands. 

I don’t doubt that at all. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they are selling more of their vertex2 and diva products that you can get as package with Arcana now than at their product launch.  I’m just wondering, being that many of the Arcana customers are not their typical customers, and likely never even heard of Arcana before, just how many doors are going to open for them.   

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I don’t doubt that at all. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they are selling more of their vertex2 and diva products that you can get as package with Arcana now than at their product launch.  I’m just wondering, being that many of the Arcana customers are not their typical customers, and likely never even heard of Arcana before, just how many doors are going to open for them.   

Right place right time. Find a void in the market and fill it. Doesn’t hurt that it’s directly in their wheelhouse. 

And they’re moving fast to take advantage of the opportunity. 

Got to hand it to them. I wasn’t familiar with them before this, but if Arcana does what it’s supposed to, they’ll have a fan (and a vocal supporter) in me for the foreseeable future. 

Right place right time. Find a void in the market and fill it. Doesn’t hurt that it’s directly in their wheelhouse. 

And they’re moving fast to take advantage of the opportunity. 

Got to hand it to them. I wasn’t familiar with them before this, but if Arcana does what it’s supposed to, they’ll have a fan (and a vocal supporter) in me for the foreseeable future. 

I had not heard of HD Fury either, and already am a fan based on what others are saying about them, their support, and how open they are about their process and decision making. They are taking advantage of the opportunity, but I hope they take advantage of the name recognition they are gaining are start putting out more basic HD switches and splitters, etc,  as I image many people would be happy to pay a premium for HD Fury protects they know they can trust rather than take chances on a cheaper unknown product off Amazon.  I mean, if you’re spending $800 on Arc, and $200 on Arcana, why not spend $75 on a solid HDMI switch, rather than a $30 switch that might not work?

The thing that fascinates me is that I’ve not seen a single other company trying to jump in to this space. I’m delighted a HDFury did, and have my preorder, of course, but I wonder why we’ve not heard of any other potential options. It might be that these guys are just more agile than others, and capable of quickly filling this void, and maybe we’ll see others have a product in a year or two...

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The thing that fascinates me is that I’ve not seen a single other company trying to jump in to this space. I’m delighted a HDFury did, and have my preorder, of course, but I wonder why we’ve not heard of any other potential options. It might be that these guys are just more agile than others, and capable of quickly filling this void, and maybe we’ll see others have a product in a year or two...

There was one other German company who claims to have something coming out, but details have been sparse. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I was in that boat! I saw people on AVS forum talking about it and thought, that sounds interesting so I enquired on their site and got an immediate reply, this prompted more questions which again got fast reply so I put an order in for the Arcana. I then started thinking about a switch but the minefield of cheap options made me wonder and I decided that I didn’t want to get the Arcana and then have issues with a switch so again I checked with HD Fury and again they were very helpful. I now have a vertex 2 up and running ready for the arrival of the Arcana. Yes they are expensive but they are way more then just a simple switch and the support is first class. 

Just announced today: the first 1900 units sold (pre-orders are close to 1100 now) will ship on September 15!

Badge +1

Apologies, for my lack of technical knowledge.

I have a Samsung 55” Q9FN with only ARC (not E-ARC)  ,  Sonos Arc/Sub/Surrounds ,  Sky Q with UHD and with Disney Plus  and Sony UBP - X700 4K UHD Blu Ray Player.

I can get DD+ Atmos from Sky Q films/programmes (if they are in Atmos) but not through the Disney Plus App or through the 4K Blu-ray.  Will the HD Fury Arcana help me getting more Atmos Content from  Disney Plus and the 4K Blu-ray ?

Many Thanks.

From what I’ve seen from following the company a bit lately, I think they were fairly well situated to respond to this rather quickly.  That’s partly because of how they are built and partly because this sort of functionality is in their wheelhouse.  It’s the sort of product they want to make. 

I also think it’s because of how they do market research.  Which appear to be nothing more than a guy who reads a few different forums to see what sort of problems people are having trouble with that HD Fury could possibly solve.  They aren’t doing any formal surveys or looking at market research.  The main HD Fury ‘front man’ has said several times that Arcana was a ‘community project’ that would not have happened if people hadn’t lobbied for it and spread the word about it in other forums. I’m not sure that other companies who would make this sort of thing have that sort of marketing chain in place.

As far as other companies coming up with their own devices, I don’t know.   I can see someone beating Arcana on price, or building in an HDMI switch to simplify things.  Don’t know how big the market it is for it, as it really only appeals to Sonos Arc users.  It’s possibly a shrinking market if people buy more eARC TVs that don’t have issues.  Then again, we may see more and more AV equipment that depends on eARC, creating more demand?

I have a Samsung 55” Q9FN with only ARC (not E-ARC)  ,  Sonos Arc/Sub/Surrounds ,  Sky Q with UHD and with Disney Plus  and Sony UBP - X700 4K UHD Blu Ray Player.

I can get DD+ Atmos from Sky Q films/programmes (if they are in Atmos) but not through the Disney Plus App or through the 4K Blu-ray.  Will the HD Fury Arcana help me getting more Atmos Content from  Disney Plus and the 4K Blu-ray ?

Many Thanks.

It will definitely help for the 4K blu-ray.  That will be using TrueHD for atmos audio, which requires eARC that your TV can’t handle.  Regarding Disney+, that’s hard to say.  You should be able to get that now given that it uses DD+ the same your Sky Q. If your TV passes thorugh DD+ for SkyQ, not sure why it does not for Disney+.  Perhaps your Sky Q boxes doesn’t allow for DD+ Atmos on apps or something like that?  

I did see something sort of similar with my setup, which is also an Samsung ARC TV. I was getting DD+ Atmos for Amazon Prime, but not for netflix or disney +.  That was the case on internal apps and for fire TV cube.  I then got an Nvidia Shield and I am getting DD+ atmos on everything now.  I don’t know if Nvidia Shield is just better, or if the Fire TV and internal apps where just set to not play atmos before I installed Sonos Arc, and never adjusted properly.  I considered reinstalling the apps, but I haven’t really bothered sine I like Nvidia Shield better anyway.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

As far as other companies coming up with their own devices, I don’t know.   I can see someone beating Arcana on price, or building in an HDMI switch to simplify things.  Don’t know how big the market it is for it, as it really only appeals to Sonos Arc users.  It’s possibly a shrinking market if people buy more eARC TVs that don’t have issues.  Then again, we may see more and more AV equipment that depends on eARC, creating more demand?

I agree with this. I don’t think this stuff is rocket science, but I do think it’s probably hard to implement well which is why we see so many eARC TVs from major manufacturers still having issues. 

I’m betting that Arcana and like products may have a fairly long life considering that 1) TVs tend to be major purchases that aren’t replaced that often, 2) TV manufacturers don’t seem to be super concerned about the audio features of their TVs or being diligent about making sure that features like eARC are implemented correctly, and 3) other soundbar manufacturers are surely looking at the success of the Sonos Arc (now backordered two months out!) and may come out with one cable solutions of their own. 

Regardless of how the future pans out, however, I am quite glad that HD Fury has our backs on this one. Sept. 15 will be here before we know it, and I’m really looking forward to seeing how well Arcana works in the real world. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I did see something sort of similar with my setup, which is also an Samsung ARC TV. I was getting DD+ Atmos for Amazon Prime, but not for netflix or disney +.  That was the case on internal apps and for fire TV cube.  I then got an Nvidia Shield and I am getting DD+ atmos on everything now.  I don’t know if Nvidia Shield is just better, or if the Fire TV and internal apps where just set to not play atmos before I installed Sonos Arc, and never adjusted properly.  I considered reinstalling the apps, but I haven’t really bothered sine I like Nvidia Shield better anyway.

I think there’s a ton of inconsistency in how the built-in apps work across platforms. I’ve got a Vizio and only the Netflix and Plex apps seem capable of providing Atmos for me - Amazon Prime and Disney Plus seem to offer Atmos on Apple TV 4K, but not through the Vizio’s built-in apps. Hence why I’m really looking forward to Arcana unlocking the Atmos power of my Apple TV. ;-) 

II’m betting that Arcana and like products may have a fairly long life considering that 1) TVs tend to be major purchases that aren’t replaced that often, 2) TV manufacturers don’t seem to be super concerned about the audio features of their TVs or being diligent about making sure that features like eARC are implemented correctly, and 3) other soundbar manufacturers are surely looking at the success of the Sonos Arc (now backordered two months out!) and may come out with one cable solutions of their own. 

I don’t know.  These are valid points, however, it’s not really a situation that we haven’t seen before. Technically, back when audio was essentially just 5.1, TVs had optical connections to handle passing through audio.  Yet the majority if AVRs and soundbars did not use that optical connection, instead they wanted you to use their equipment for HDMI switching and pass through the video.  Yes, they have add more functionality, but they can sell you a new AVR/soundbar every time audio or video standards change. Playbar was an exception, and part of the reason it stayed on the market for 7 years.  Not sure anything else stayed on the market for that long.  

Anyway, I don’t know that other companies are going to start limiting their AVR and soundbars so that they can’t be used as a switch or pass through video.  Yes, it can become a bottle neck for your video, but they are happy to sell you the latest AVR that isn’t a bottleneck.  Even if Sonos sales are great, people will look at HDMI inputs as advantage.  Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see a audio equipment and TVs be more component like with a HDMI switch/processing device component in the middle, just not sure it’s going to go that way.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

II’m betting that Arcana and like products may have a fairly long life considering that 1) TVs tend to be major purchases that aren’t replaced that often, 2) TV manufacturers don’t seem to be super concerned about the audio features of their TVs or being diligent about making sure that features like eARC are implemented correctly, and 3) other soundbar manufacturers are surely looking at the success of the Sonos Arc (now backordered two months out!) and may come out with one cable solutions of their own. 

I don’t know.  These are valid points, however, it’s not really a situation that we haven’t seen before. Technically, back when audio was essentially just 5.1, TVs had optical connections to handle passing through audio.  Yet the majority if AVRs and soundbars did not use that optical connection, instead they wanted you to use their equipment for HDMI switching and pass through the video.  Yes, they have add more functionality, but they can sell you a new AVR/soundbar every time audio or video standards change. Playbar was an exception, and part of the reason it stayed on the market for 7 years.  Not sure anything else stayed on the market for that long.  

Anyway, I don’t know that other companies are going to start limiting their AVR and soundbars so that they can’t be used as a switch or pass through video.  Yes, it can become a bottle neck for your video, but they are happy to sell you the latest AVR that isn’t a bottleneck.  Even if Sonos sales are great, people will look at HDMI inputs as advantage.  Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see a audio equipment and TVs be more component like with a HDMI switch/processing device component in the middle, just not sure it’s going to go that way.

Admittedly, I’m doing a lot of prognosticating here, but I’m guessing that what we consider “traditional” AV equipment is going to simply become more and more niche as the years go by. Will AVRs and regular 2 / 2.1 / 3.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 / ad nauseam speaker setups still be available? Without a doubt, just as there will be home theater enthusiasts eager to buy them (I would normally find myself in this category, but I unfortunately don’t have a room to dedicate to it). 

However, for most people (and I’m betting that number is 95% or higher), simplicity is king and everything is pointing in that direction from a media perspective. TV and movies are now streamed or rented on demand as opposed to being on physical media. Almost every new TV is a “smart” TV with streaming apps built in. You don’t have to go further than your local Best Buy to see this in action - the rows of DVDs/Blu-rays, receivers, and speaker systems have gone away to be, largely, replaced by smart TVs and soundbars. 

Sonos Arc leads the way here - a single cable connection that makes it exceptionally easy for the average consumer to hook up and start enjoying quality audio in no time flat. That’s a major selling point that can’t be overstated since most people don’t care anything about how their AV equipment works - they just want it to work. They don’t care about extra inputs because they’re watching everything from the apps on their smart tv. And if the TV has enough inputs and eARC, even enthusiasts can be happy. Which is also why I think other manufacturers will begin to take note. Most people SAY they want flexibility, but at the end of the day they really don’t - they just want to turn on the TV and hear great audio. 

Don’t get me wrong, I'm not particularly thrilled with the TV becoming both the switch and the limiting factor for audio. It's the piece in the chain that’s hardest and least likely to get replaced / upgraded and having it be a drag on audio performance is, well, a drag. Which, to bring it full circle, is why I’ve been so enthusiastically supporting the development of the Arcana to bypass the TV’s functionality. It provides a solution that’s the best of both worlds - the Arc gets to stay nice and simple for the majority of users while enthusiasts like us can truly unlock its sonic potential regardless of display device. 

Really interested in this, not only to get the Atmos capability but to also help with the terrible lip sync from Sky Q that it claims to fix!

Quick question though - do I need to buy a HDMI switch too?  I can’t work it out...my inputs are as follows: Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), PS4, Apple TV.  As you can see, only one of those inputs supports Atmos and also happens to be the only one with lip sync issues.  Can I just plug the Sky Q into the Arcana and the other 2 into the TV like I would have done previously?

Thanks!

If you do end up getting an HDMI Switch, be sure to get a switch that can push 18 Gbps. Otherwise, you won’t get HDR10+ and you may be limiting your refresh rate depending on your source. Not to mention, it won’t have the bandwidth to push enough info to justify the Arcana.

@Highfalutintodd, I certainly don’t disagree with your position, but my faith in a logical outcome is low. My expectation is that the solution we can expect to get is lowest cost for the companies, highest profit. 

Certainly in my world, I’d appreciate a central switch device that sends the video to a monitor, not a TV set with all the added electronics, and an audio system, separately, but in sync. I don’t expect that desire to come to fruition. So, the TV will need to be an updated device on a fairly frequent basis, if I want to get the latest thing. But then again, I managed to avoid the who “3D is the next big thing” debacle, too….so maybe not as often as they want, but more often than I do :)

I was going to tease you earlier about when exactly September 15 will arrive, as it seems impossibly far away… But I just did, so I guess my earlier reticence is moot. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Highfalutintodd, I certainly don’t disagree with your position, but my faith in a logical outcome is low. My expectation is that the solution we can expect to get is lowest cost for the companies, highest profit. 

Which is why a “simpler” future may actually happen. If the soundbar manufacturers can kill two birds with one stone - give customers an easier experience and reducing their manufacturing and support costs by eliminating features - they just might do it. There will always be companies that love to throw every feature at a product because they think a longer feature bullet list is better (looking at you here, Samsung), but others may get on the bandwagon. Especially once eARC becomes more prevalent. 

Of course, I always reserve the right to be wrong. ;-) 

Certainly in my world, I’d appreciate a central switch device that sends the video to a monitor, not a TV set with all the added electronics, and an audio system, separately, but in sync. I don’t expect that desire to come to fruition. So, the TV will need to be an updated device on a fairly frequent basis, if I want to get the latest thing. But then again, I managed to avoid the who “3D is the next big thing” debacle, too….so maybe not as often as they want, but more often than I do :)

It sounds like you’re describing a projector + receiver + speaker setup. ;-) 

This whole thing with the Arc has surprised me quite a bit. Until the Arc I was very dismissive of soundbars in general. Having used it and lived with it now, however, I’m finding myself quite enamored of its solution to the home theater conundrum. It’s expensive, sure, but the elegance and simplicity of the setup combined with the awesome sound (when combined with the Sub / One SLs) have been a winning combination for me and my family. 

I sat out the 3D thing, too. Just didn’t care. Even a little. 4K, however… that was enough to make me part with my cash. 

As for upgrading the TV for audio capabilities - again, glad to have the Arcana as a workaround for that. Admittedly, the Arc itself becomes the limiting factor as far as sound processing capabilities, but that’s not really any different in my book than having to replace a receiver when it lacks a feature you want. 

But, in my book, all of these sound formats are good enough to last me, personally, a good long while. The last major audio transition - stereo or Dolby Pro Logic to 5.1 Dolby Digital / DTS) happened over twenty years ago and things haven’t gotten exponentially better since. I honestly didn’t care a thing in the world about TrueHD / DTS Master Audio when they came out because they were such incremental improvements (unless you’ve got a major audio system of course), and Atmos only really is blowing up my skirt because it’s both a step forward in quality / immersion AND I basically get it for “free” with the purchase of the Arc. (I’m sure someone’s head just exploded reading this hot take, so take it as you will.) 

I was going to tease you earlier about when exactly September 15 will arrive, as it seems impossibly far away… But I just did, so I guess my earlier reticence is moot. 

Given how quickly time seems to be passing these days, september 15 will be here before I can blink and turn around twice! ;-) 

Admittedly, I’m doing a lot of prognosticating here, but I’m guessing that what we consider “traditional” AV equipment is going to simply become more and more niche as the years go by. Will AVRs and regular 2 / 2.1 / 3.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 / ad nauseam speaker setups still be available? Without a doubt, just as there will be home theater enthusiasts eager to buy them (I would normally find myself in this category, but I unfortunately don’t have a room to dedicate to it). 

Agree on this 100%.  I remember when Bestbuy would have about 20 different AVR options for sale, a whole aisle dedicated.  Now, they make carry a half dozen at most.  Clearly people are looking more at soundbar options.

However, for most people (and I’m betting that number is 95% or higher), simplicity is king and everything is pointing in that direction from a media perspective. TV and movies are now streamed or rented on demand as opposed to being on physical media. Almost every new TV is a “smart” TV with streaming apps built in. You don’t have to go further than your local Best Buy to see this in action - the rows of DVDs/Blu-rays, receivers, and speaker systems have gone away to be, largely, replaced by smart TVs and soundbars. 

I might actually be a bit worse than that.  My teenage kids don’t even really care about TV much at all.  They are happy with their small screen.  But that could be something they ‘grow out of’.  But I digress. Point is, i agree with you.

Sonos Arc leads the way here - a single cable connection that makes it exceptionally easy for the average consumer to hook up and start enjoying quality audio in no time flat. That’s a major selling point that can’t be overstated since most people don’t care anything about how their AV equipment works - they just want it to work. They don’t care about extra inputs because they’re watching everything from the apps on their smart tv. And if the TV has enough inputs and eARC, even enthusiasts can be happy. Which is also why I think other manufacturers will begin to take note. Most people SAY they want flexibility, but at the end of the day they really don’t - they just want to turn on the TV and hear great audio. 

I don’t know that people look at it that way.  Yes, ARC/eARC makes things is, but most people don’t understand how it works at all.  I think many people are used to the input/output concept, and are a little unnerved by a cable that does input and audio only output.  And the fact that it doesn’t always work right just feeds that nerve.  I think most soundbar makers are going to continue to provide HDMI input and video passthrough on their speakers, even if it’s not needed, just so customers don’t question how it works, or wonder what else they need to buy to get it to work.  And as I said before, they’ll be back in a couple years when the soundbar can’t handle the video quality.

As far as TV smart apps go, that felt like a gimic to sell TVs when it first came out, and it still kind of does. They are nice, yes, but feels like it’s going to be out of date before your TV is.  But that’s the nature of any all-in-one device.  They may do one thing really well, but the rest of it likely to be subpar.  

Don’t get me wrong, I'm not particularly thrilled with the TV becoming both the switch and the limiting factor for audio. It's the piece in the chain that’s hardest and least likely to get replaced / upgraded and having it be a drag on audio performance is, well, a drag. Which, to bring it full circle, is why I’ve been so enthusiastically supporting the development of the Arcana to bypass the TV’s functionality. It provides a solution that’s the best of both worlds - the Arc gets to stay nice and simple for the majority of users while enthusiasts like us can truly unlock its sonic potential regardless of display device. 

No disagreement here.  My point was that I don’t think many other soundbars are going to go the single HDMI eARC connection route that Sonos is going.  They will all have ARC/eARC capability, but I think they will still have inputs too.

Nice discussion.

Expanding on this a little more. I think we would be much better off if we had never had the ARC and eARC standards.  As you stated, people want simply, and ARC/eARC just are not simple.  it would have better if the TV standard was 4 inputs and 1 output for audio.   They people would clearly understand how it works. Audio/video data flows in one direction only and you would have plenty of options to pick the setup that makes the most sense for you.   

The Sonos Arc can work the same way, except it has a standard HDMI input rather than an HDMI output that’s actually in ARC/eARC input, that no one understands. If your TV can’t pass through the audio format properly, then all you would need is a HDMI splitter or matrix which are readily available today.  Arcana would not need to be invented.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Expanding on this a little more. I think we would be much better off if we had never had the ARC and eARC standards.  As you stated, people want simply, and ARC/eARC just are not simple.  it would have better if the TV standard was 4 inputs and 1 output for audio.   They people would clearly understand how it works. Audio/video data flows in one direction only and you would have plenty of options to pick the setup that makes the most sense for you.   

The Sonos Arc can work the same way, except it has a standard HDMI input rather than an HDMI output that’s actually in ARC/eARC input, that no one understands. If your TV can’t pass through the audio format properly, then all you would need is a HDMI splitter or matrix which are readily available today.  Arcana would not need to be invented.  

I don’t know if it’s really as bad as all that. Totally, 100% agreed that ARC/eARC are, conceptually, ridiculously difficult to grasp if you’re trying to understand how it actually works (my head is still spinning from learning on HD Fury’s Discord channel that the HDMI port on the Sonos Arc is actually an OUTPUT port).

FUNCTIONALLY, however, the beauty is that it’s fairly plug and play and to the user it just kind of works. Which is also the beauty of the Sonos Arc - you plug a single cable from the Arc to the TV and, voila, you’ve got audio. Now, granted, you may run into issues with what KIND of audio you’re getting (which is what’s led to so much gnashing of teeth - much of it from me - on these boards and to the creation of the Arcana). But for most people, they’re just going to know that they plugged it in and it worked. And that’s a powerful incentive, especially when, for most people, this stuff is all magic in the forest. I'm here to tell you that if I remove myself from the equation, I can think of exactly five total people I know who truly understand how their AV gear works. Everyone else just wants to watch TV which is why my phone rings when they can’t. 

No disagreement here.  My point was that I don’t think many other soundbars are going to go the single HDMI eARC connection route that Sonos is going.  They will all have ARC/eARC capability, but I think they will still have inputs too.

Time will tell, for sure. It will be interesting to see where it goes. 

I might actually be a bit worse than that.  My teenage kids don’t even really care about TV much at all.  They are happy with their small screen.  But that could be something they ‘grow out of’.  But I digress. Point is, i agree with you.

THIS is an excellent point. I’ve got two boys, one 12 and one 9. Up until the pandemic we pretty fairly limited their screen time, but since we’ve been stuck at home more we’ve been letting them play their devices a bit more. And you’re right - their iPhone or iPad is their preferred consumption device, even when the TV is right there. The TV has become for either family viewing or for my wife and me when the kids are in bed. I don’t think that’s something that’s going away. 

As far as TV smart apps go, that felt like a gimic to sell TVs when it first came out, and it still kind of does. They are nice, yes, but feels like it’s going to be out of date before your TV is.  But that’s the nature of any all-in-one device.  They may do one thing really well, but the rest of it likely to be subpar.  

Though they’re not my cup of tea (you can pry my Apple TV from my cold dead hands), I don’t get the feeling that Smart TVs are a gimmick, at least not anymore. They may have started out that way, but I’m betting that most people are going to get their TV / movies this way from here on out - if they’re not already. They won’t understand why they would bother buying another box to do what their TV already does. 

Badge +1

Many Thanks.

It will definitely help for the 4K blu-ray.  That will be using TrueHD for atmos audio, which requires eARC that your TV can’t handle.  Regarding Disney+, that’s hard to say.  You should be able to get that now given that it uses DD+ the same your Sky Q. If your TV passes thorugh DD+ for SkyQ, not sure why it does not for Disney+.  Perhaps your Sky Q boxes doesn’t allow for DD+ Atmos on apps or something like that?  

Thanks @melvimbe  - very helpful. Would I be right in saying that it would also help the SkyQ give full lossless Atmos as currently I only get DD+ Atmos  ? as my TV is limited to DD+ pass through. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thanks @melvimbe  - very helpful. Would I be right in saying that it would also help the SkyQ give full lossless Atmos as currently I only get DD+ Atmos  ? as my TV is limited to DD+ pass through. 

“Lossless” Atmos is only available on Blu-ray Discs, not streaming services. 

Atmos is just spatial metadata passed over another audio codec. It can be passed over Dolby Digital Plus (a “lossy” codec used on all streaming services) or Dolby TrueHD (a “lossless” codec basically only used on Blu-ray / 4K Blu-ray). Either way, it’s Atmos. 

The Arc supports Atmos over either codec. In a nutshell: 

Dolby Digital Plus + Atmos

• Type: Lossy / low-bandwidth
  • HDMI-ARC: Yes
  • eARC: Yes
  • Available on: Compatible streaming platforms and content

Dolby TrueHD + Atmos

• Type: Lossless / high-bandwidth
  • HDMI-ARC: No
  • eARC: Yes
  • Available on: Blu-ray Disc, UHD Blu-ray Disc 

Side note: A lot of people seem to get all worked up over “lossy” vs “lossless.” I honestly wouldn’t worry about it. Most audio you listen to day in and day out is “lossy” - streaming music services (Apple Music / Pandora / Spotify / etc.), streaming video services (Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, etc.), every DVD you’ve ever heard, many Blu-ray Discs, satellite radio, etc. etc. And ALL video you watch is “lossy.” 

“Lossy” doesn’t mean “bad,” it just means some data has been eliminated to achieve smaller file sizes. The audio codecs Dolby and DTS have developed over the past 20+ years are really amazing and sound incredible. “Lossless” means you’re getting exactly what the sound mixers heard… but only if you’ve got audio equipment good enough to reproduce it. And while the Sonos Arc is very, very good, professionals are not mixing audio using soundbars. ;-) 

Userlevel 1

Really interested in this, not only to get the Atmos capability but to also help with the terrible lip sync from Sky Q that it claims to fix!

Quick question though - do I need to buy a HDMI switch too?  I can’t work it out...my inputs are as follows: Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), PS4, Apple TV.  As you can see, only one of those inputs supports Atmos and also happens to be the only one with lip sync issues.  Can I just plug the Sky Q into the Arcana and the other 2 into the TV like I would have done previously?

Thanks!

If you do end up getting an HDMI Switch, be sure to get a switch that can push 18 Gbps. Otherwise, you won’t get HDR10+ and you may be limiting your refresh rate depending on your source. Not to mention, it won’t have the bandwidth to push enough info to justify the Arcana.

Oooh thanks!

Any in particular you recommend? As inexpensive as possible ideally :)

Oooh thanks!

Any in particular you recommend? As inexpensive as possible ideally :)

Lots of options out there.  Just look for something that meets your specs/requirements and has good reviews.  This looks like a good option.