Answered

Dolby Atmos / Arc / Beam / Ceiling Speakers

• 21 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi Everyone. Looking for some advice.

I have 2 Sonos ceiling speakers connected to an amp, and a sub and looking for some soundbar advice. You’re probably wondering why I have the ceiling speakers prior to a soundbar. It was because the house is new and we wanted them signed off as part of building regs with fire hoods etc.

Now it seems the key selling feature of the ARC is Dolby Atmos with up firing speakers. As I have ceiling speakers is there any need to go for the ARC (have I got Dolby Arnos covered??), or shall I go for the Beam, noting the cost difference.

We sit about 5m from our normal family living room Tv. Does an ARC, Sub 3, ceiling speakers and amp seem overkill for watching Transformers on repeat? Or am I not doing the Sonos products I already have justice by not going for the ARC?

thank you!! 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 October 2022, 22:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You won’t have Atmos covered with a Sonos Amp as its connected speakers are not geared for HT ’height’ channel audio output.

An Amp can be used for either front, or rear, channel HT audio.

Where are the ceiling speakers located in the room in relation to the TV and where do you sit/listen to the TV?

Badge

Thank you for the reply. Ceiling speakers are at the back of the room, directly above our heads sat on the sofa.

In that case, you could use a Sonos Arc or Beam (gen2) with a compatible TV to provide you with Atmos ‘front’ and ‘height’ channel TV audio in the room and ‘maybe’ bond that HT device with your Amp to provide rear left/right channel audio. That said, I’m not a fan, personally speaking, of HT left/right rear-channel audio coming from ceiling speakers as that audio is meant to come from speakers behind and to the side of the listener at/near head-height, when seated, but thats a matter for yourself to decide.

You can add one Sub-Mini, or up-to two, Sonos Sub (gen3’s) to the HT setup too, if required.. I would recommend at least one Sonos Sub for the room.

Note: When using a Sonos Amp bonded for rear channel TV audio, the hardware ports (RCA input, .LFE output) on the rear of the Amp are both disabled.