Do I get 2 Play 3's and a Sub or 2 Play 5's?

• 15 January 2017
  • 32 replies

I'm try to figure out what the best setup would would be for room(8x7m). Should I go with 2 Play 3's and a sub or 2 Play 5's without the sub?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

My vote is two Play:5s. I think the P:3s have been left behind a bit and personally I prefer the P:1 to the P:3. The P:5s have excellent bass and can do without the Sub.

Edit addition: The P:5 is vastly better sonically than the P:3, is more versatile as it has a line-in, and has built-in microphones which might make it more future proof. I think it also shares the better networking technology introduced with the Boost.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello and welcome to the Sonos community
There is no correct answer as it depends on you. Once you start with Sonos you will keep expanding.

I would start with the Play3s and a Sub. (and if you cannot wire one of the speakers to the router a Boost)

Hope this helps
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
John is right as the Play5 is a newer product and may be a better choice.
A better decision would involve 1 pair + Sub v 5 pair. There is little to nothing that a 3 pair + Sub does compared to the former.
Pair of Play1s plus Sub.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
4 play 1 plus a sub.

Kris 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi tharikn,

As has been mentioned, this is a subjective discussion and much will depend on what you prefer to hear, but you did ask for opinions and I'm happy to add mine.

I, personally, can't bring myself to purchase the 3s. I have 6 P1s in my house 4 in smaller rooms as pairs and one set as 5.1 surrounds, and 3 5s - one in a stereo pair in a room much the size you outline. I am amazed by the quality of the 1s - they are fantastic... and exceptionally versatile for future adaptation if you eventually grow your system. (I've considered moving one of my subs to join the 1s for a test just so I can hear what the combo sounds like, but simply haven't done it.)

As the price point goes up... I so much prefer the sound of the 5, and find it such a superior device, that I can't find myself settling for the middle of the pack 3s.

Depending on what you choose to listen to, the 5s do have awesome bass response and I think you could be very satisfied with them in the space you are considering.... I find mine in stereo pair to be very sufficient for the space. (I should also say that to be clear, there's nothing in bass response that compares to the sub - obviously given the very isolated and specific purpose of it... I can't say enough good things about it or why anyone who has a playbar should probably have one... but that is another topic. 😉 )

Also, just to give you something else to consider.... dependant on the primary purpose (dedicated listening, social music during hosting events, etc...) and room layout, to help fill the space in as rounded a manner as possible, for just a little bit more money you could consider 4 ones and a sub. I get that it is more money... but the cost of that relative to the 2 3's and sub isn't that far off and you'd have a stereo pair at one end bonded with the sub and a stereo pair at the other end of the room... lot's of versatility and potentially future flexibility as your home audio system expands to encompass your whole home.... (many of us consider Sonos an addition 😉 )

Regardless of where you land, I'm pretty confident that you will like the system... enjoy
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
ah... took too long to type my response and provide context - Krislu and I obviously agree
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Yes we do SHARKB8T. 8mx7m room is big. Definitely would do one play1 in each corner and the sub next to the pair that are in the area of most listening. Kris 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If you like the stereo image, my vote is for the two play 5's. I have that in a large living room and its awesome. It is really well suited to critically listening at medium volume. The two will also fill the room with sound at higher volume but it will be louder by the speakers and less loud on the other side of the room. For parties, I like the sound to be about the same volume everywhere in the room. So, I take the two play 1's out of the bedroom and stick them in the other two corners of the large living room. Four Play 1's would work, too. It is not so much critical listening during a party so the play 1's are really good. I have a pair of stereo play 1's in a large kitchen, too. It's a good stereo image, especially for the price, but not as focused as the 5's (pretty much expect that). Bottom line: for a party, four 1's on the corners and a sub. For stereo listening, two play 5s.
Bottom line: for a party, four 1's on the corners and a sub. For stereo listening, two play 5s.
I would go with a 1 pair + Sub. And bring in an extra one/two play 1 units from other rooms for parties.
If budget is a constraint as it is for most, I'd start with a 1 pair and build from there over time, starting with Sub if bass is a priority over party music needs; in the latter case I would add more 1 units first.
Thanks for the responses everyone! Reading the the comments I've decided not to get the 3s, but now I'm wondering if I should get 4 1s(2 now and 2 later) and a sub or 2 5s and a sub(will this be over kill?).

As far as my need's...I have a few dance parties once in a while so the system I build should be able to accommodate that in addition to having a kick as system!

Also knowing that 5s a newer product, should I be worried that they'll come out with a newer 1s anytime soon?

Again thanks in advance for you responses!
Just to add to my previous comment, if I were to get 2 5s and a sub, I'll probably get the 2 5's now and add a sub down the road.
With 5 units and a Sub, you are paying for 5 capability on the bass front that goes offline when the Sub is bonded to them. In a sense, that money is wasted.

If you are serious about Sub, and don't need the line in feature on the 5 units, there is little sense in getting these.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Agreed, if you are going to go with two play5. Don't bother with a sub then. But personally I think you should do the 4 play1. This will be fine for dance parties as well as dinner parties or just you. - Kris
Thanks everyone, all your feedback really helped! I've decided to go with 2 1s and the sub now and add 2 more 1s down the road!
Badge +1
Thanks everyone, all your feedback really helped! I've decided to go with 2 1s and the sub now and add 2 more 1s down the road!

hey, very good decision tharikn .
My room almost same size, using Sub + 2x Play1's - sound incredible 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks everyone, all your feedback really helped! I've decided to go with 2 1s and the sub now and add 2 more 1s down the road!Let us know what you think. I have this combination. I started with just the 2 play 1s in a Garden Cabin and they sounded great but lost clarity and bass at higher volumes. However once the Sub was added the difference was remarkable. I actually giggled the first time I listened to ACDC Back In Black with the sub running. The volume you can get with this set up is very impressive too. Just trying to stop myself getting another two play 1s!
Badge
Hi I have two play ones I have used them as a pair and are fantastic but now use one in the kitchen I was thinking of buying the playbar (just for music) or one play 5 BUT just having read this thread I now might just bring the kitchen one back in the living room and buy a sub. My room is roughly 20'-15' so it's not big so what do you think then I should do ? Thanks everyone
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi I have two play ones I have used them as a pair and are fantastic but now use one in the kitchen I was thinking of buying the playbar (just for music) or one play 5 BUT just having read this thread I now might just bring the kitchen one back in the living room and buy a sub. My room is roughly 20'-15' so it's not big so what do you think then I should do ? Thanks everyone

I have 4 play 1 and a sub in a roughly 20x15 size room so I would say bring the play 1 back from the kitchen and buy the sub! - Kris 🙂
Yea, I'd stay away from the Playbar for just music. It's an ideal device for TV use, but is outclassed by any of the Play:1, Play:3 or Play:5 for just music. Plus, if you go with a Play:1, you'd save some substantial money. And it's hard to argue with Krislu's suggestion of a sub. Makes a world of difference!
Enjoy Sonos....
Badge
Thanks Krislu Airgetlam you have saved me lots of money as I was thinking about the playbar but having read your replies I think the best way to go would be bring back the play 1 from the kitchen and buying a sub. One will be on a desk stand on a cabinet and the other one I'll have to buy a floor stand then place the sub near to them. Our room is so difficult what with the fireplace and doors the only best place would be behind where I sit but I don't think that would be sonically a good choice thanks guys 🙂
Badge
Yongyuth Pahirah yes I do enjoy Sonos very much we have a Bose system for the tv Sonos blows it out of the water cheers
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm of the belief that I've only postponed further purchases (the Playbar), not actually negated it. It's a spectacular device for the TV set. Just not as ideal for music 🙂