Answered

Connecting with old Onkyo receiver

• 16 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I have an old Onkyo receiver that is fine for radio and manages 4 wired speakers.  I want to add streaming abilities and likely a new CD player and some other wireless speakers.  The Onkyo has analog input/outputs for different devices.  I am looking at the AMP Port to start.  How would it be connected to the Onkyo?  I recently tried to add bluetooth to this receiver and couldn’t get any ports to work.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 October 2020, 23:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not sure what you mean by the AMP Port. There is a Sonos Amp, which powers speakers, and a Sonos Port, which is designed to connect to another amp, such as yours, to bring the Sonos streaming experience to it.

In most cases, connecting a Sonos Port to an amplifier is easily done by connecting it to an available tape loop, but it can be done in other ways, depending on what is available. 

Okay - I got that wrong.  I am looking at the Sonos Port.  By ‘tape loop’ do you mean the input/output normally used for a tape player?

Thanks

Yes ma’am, I do. The Port’s analog out would connect to the ‘rec’ input on the amp, and the Port’s analog in would connect to the ‘out’ or ‘play’ or whatever the output on the Onkyo is labeled. 

Thanks a lot!  I think I’ll go forward with Port as a starter

You’re most welcome. It is a great way to incorporate the Sonos ecosystem into an existing stereo system and speakers. Not to mention getting all things connected to your stereo into the Sonos world...