Answered

Connecting audio-technica AT-LP120-USB turntable to Sonos system

• 18 February 2023
  • 22 replies

I have an audio-technical AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional USB and Analog Turntable System. I’d like to find the correct Sonos component that will connect the turntable to my Sonos system. I have Sonos Immersive Set with Arc (Arc, sub and 2 Ones) for TV and streaming music audio in the living room; and Sonos Fives in our bedroom and den. 

The turntable (haven’t yet used) is on a shelf in the den, near power but not near the Sonos Five. I’m looking for a component that will allow the turntable to connect (and be an audio source) to the Sonos system via my WiFi network. 

The turntable has a cable with RCA-type L&R connectors and a female USB Type B socket. 

What is the best, and hopefully most economical, Sonos component that can connect the turntable output to my Sonos system via WiFi?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 February 2023, 02:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 7

The best option is to connect the turntable to the line-in on one of the Fives. But if this isn’t possible, get a Sonos Port.

Thanks, GuitarSuperstar. I can move my Sonos 5 to the top of the cabinet unit where the turntable is and connect it with a USB Type B male  (turntable out) to 3.5mm male cable (Sonos line in). For not much more than the cost of Sonos Port I can buy a second Sonos 5 to place on the other side of the cabinet top for true stereo. I’m going to give this a try. I assume this will allow the turntable to play through any of my Sonos speakers on my WiFi system.

Userlevel 7

Adding the second Five to create a stereo pair is a great idea. A pair of Fives is Sonos’ best setup for listening to music IMO. And this setup will allow you to play the turntable audio to any Sonos speaker in your system.

Rather than using the USB to 3.5mm cable, you can use an RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It’s possible that you need to switch the internal pre-amplifier on the turntabel to “on”.

Thanks again, GuitarSuperstar. I found an adapter to come out of the turntable USB Type B port to a male USB Type A. But have been having trouble finding a cable to go from USB-A to correct 3.5mm plug; I think I need a TRS plug and they all seem to be TRRS. Not sure if this would be a problem. Same issue with RCA out to 3.5mm plug. Do you know the answer?

Userlevel 7

Thanks again, GuitarSuperstar. I found an adapter to come out of the turntable USB Type B port to a male USB Type A. But have been having trouble finding a cable to go from USB-A to correct 3.5mm plug; I think I need a TRS plug and they all seem to be TRRS. Not sure if this would be a problem. Same issue with RCA out to 3.5mm plug. Do you know the answer?

You just need an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Female-3-5mm-Male-Compatible/dp/B07WQJMKFT

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When I google search the AT-LP120-USB it seems the turntable comes with a USB and an amplified RCA connection, see https://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/audio-technica-at-lp120x-manual-direct-drive-turntable-analogue-usb that says there’s a “Detachable RCA output cable (dual RCA male to dual RCA male)” in the box.

Since Sonos only uses RCA and needs an amplified connection, why use the USB and not a simple RCA to minijack? To me this seems unnecessarily complicated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Shanepro 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Just to expand on what @GuitarSuperstar and @106rallye have already said, if you use the USB connection, there will be a conversion from analogue to digital within the turntable, then a conversion back to analogue again at the cable, before the Five/Port then takes the analogue signal and converts it once more into digital for networked playback (the playback part of which involves one more conversion to analogue).

It will be much better to use the RCA connections, as suggested - you will get better sound, as there will only be one analogue-to-digital conversion.

I hope this helps.

So I landed on this thread for a similar question and bought a Port. I have it connected to my Audio Technica AP LT120 with the RCA cable and I play the turntable, nothing. The switch at the back is on “line” (not phono). 

I’m going nuts, I thought this would work and it’s not and I’m not sure what to do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @amansterdam 

I took a quick look at your system in order to give you a specific example, but it seems your Port has the same name as the Home Theatre setup built by your Arc - I recommend not doing this (if only for clarity in the app). You could call it “Port”, for example. Settings » System » Living Room (the Port) » Room » Room Name and type another name.

Anyway, in order to play your turntable through the Arc, you’ll need to choose the Arc’s room (Living Room, but not the Port’s Living Room - see?) in the System page, then go to the Browse page with the music sources listed and choose the Line-In of the Port.

If this doesn’t work, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi all. Shanepro here. I finally got around to trying to connect my audio-technica AT-LP120 turntable to my Sonos system via a Sonos 5 line input. I’m coming out of the turntable with its supplied cable with  left and right RCA connectors. I’ve connected it to a stereo cable, RCA (left and right) to 3.5mm mini plug that is connected to the line input on the back of a Sonos 5. The output switch on the turntable is set to “Line” and the mini plug going into the Sonos 5 is TRS (Tip, Ring, Shaft). 

My Sonos app showed the Sonos 5 as having a line input and I selected the “Turntable” label for it. I tried all input levels in the app, but could not get any sound from a record on the turntable to my Sonos system.

Any advice from anyone? And Sonos, if you are monitoring this Community conversation, please speak up.

Thanks much,

Steve Shane

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you choose “Line in” as the source to play?

Check the following things: 

• Make sure your software is up-to-date (speaker, app and system) 
  • Your AT120 (turntable) is set to “Line” out (vs “Phono” out) via the little switch on the back of the unit 
  • In the app the following things are selected: 
    • Volume Limit = Off 
    • Line In = Connected
    • Source Name = Turntable 
    • Source Level = Level 10 (High) 
    • Autoplay → Autoplay room = the speaker the turntable is connected to. In this case the Play 5. Here you can auto-group rooms so that when the needle drops the line-in from the turntable takes over the group of speakers every time.

Autoplay is the step you’re likely missing… 

After that you should be rockin. If not, make sure your turntable’s pre-amp isn't messed up by direct connecting to a receiver or some other stereo device. If it works with that other source then you may need to have the input checked on the Sonos speaker. 

Hi - this is super helpful - thank you. i am now up and running, but the volume is only ever at 5 out of 10 or so. I can’t control it from my app, nor is it ever able to go very loud. 

Any ideas?

Badge +1

Keep having an issue using my Audio-Technica LP120XBT-USB

i have the RCA cords into a Sonos Connect

its labeled line in. When I play it the sound always drops.  It will play five minutes then drop. Or twenty seconds. 

not sure why it keeps dropping? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could play with the audio delay setting on the Port.

Badge +1

Unfortunately there is no delay port. 

and it’s not the wifi going out since other things will work

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Stumbled across this thread and wanted to ask if the audio from the turntable can be managed like any other source of audio ie the room you select in the Sonos system or does it only come out of the speaker the turntable is connected to?

It is a separate input that can be sent to anywhere you choose, which does not have to be the speaker that the line in is on. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It is a separate input that can be sent to anywhere you choose, which does not have to be the speaker that the line in is on. 

If that’s the case it looks like the cheapest way to connect a turntable to a Sonos system is to use an Era 100. Presumably, you trade off some quality/features using this method rather than a Sonos port? 

please move into a different thread mods if you feel I’ve hijacked. 

If that’s the case it looks like the cheapest way to connect a turntable to a Sonos system is to use an Era 100. Presumably, you trade off some quality/features using this method rather than a Sonos port? 

please move into a different thread mods if you feel I’ve hijacked. 

No loss in sound quality, and the only functionality you lose is the analog/digital outputs of the Port.

Congratulations to all of you for getting the answer.