Answered

Connect Sonos to existing AV Receiver and speakers

• 28 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi

I know there have multiple questions similar to mine.  But, not quite the same. So here goes.

I have an ageing Onkyo TX-NR1009 AV Receiver and KEF KHT3005SE 7.2 Egg Speakers and wireless subs.  I love my system and it was expensive at the time. In our old house I had wired in and it was sweet. 

However, we have now moved and It’s pretty much impossible for me run cables to rear positions.  So I’m thinking I maybe buy Sonos to provide coverage to the hard to reach spots.  The way I see it I have a few options.  Even though I don’t know if they are technically possible  They are in my order of preference.

1. Buy Sonos and incorporate it into my existing setup to provide the rear speakers and other awkward positions.  But also use Sonos to playback through my existing speakers
  2. Buy Sonos and keep it separate from my existing for either music or TV only.
  3. Don’t buy Sonos and find a way to make existing rear speakers wireless - any ideas ?
  4. Buy Sonos and dispose of my existing hardware - rather not.

For information, I have just ordered an LG G2 television with eARC.  Which seems to be important.

Any advice and / or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by buzz 29 August 2022, 00:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

1): Sonos is not designed to act as an extension speaker for a 3rd party receiver.

2): This could work. If you used an ARC for the front, and AMP for the rear, you could use your KEF speakers in the rear. You’d need a SONOS SUB because ARC does not support 3rd party subwoofers and the subwoofer output on ARC is disables when ARC is used for surround. 

3): A bit messy, but possible. You’d need to install some sort of radio link to an amplifier for the rear speakers. I don’t know if it is practical for you to run speaker wire between left and right surround. If this is not practical, then you would need separate left and right rear radio links to left and right amplifiers.

4): This is your choice. Likely, the stereo imaging would not be as good for any soundbar as you have for your separate speakers. However, there would be minimal or no wires for a soundbar.

eARC is the current wave of the future. All but the cheapest low end sets will offer eARC. Given how fast the HDMI standard mutates, we will probably have an e’ARC (or similar) standard soon and everyone will need to scramble -- again.